Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:20 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,277 times

Advertisements

Hey,

Question about this Preston Hollow house -

1. Do you think it's a good location in PH? I checked out the neighborhood and the entire street and the neighboring area looks really nice - the houses are all pretty much tear down and big.

2. Preston Hollow public schools - how bad is it? I know most sent their kids to private schools but is it because they "can" and can "afford" to? Moreso than the school being intrinsically bad and poor performing? I'm not a big proponent of best school ever since I didn't really go to a great school myself.

3. The master bedroom is on the 2nd floor - is this a deal breaker? The listing agent told us that a good portion of homes in Park Cities and Preston Hollow have 2nd floor MBR.... true or not?

4. Anything I should be mindful of with this home or this area?

I think I may put in an offer tonight. Thanks!

6529 Aberdeen Ave, Dallas, TX 75230 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 04:50 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,409,307 times
1. Definitely better than your previous ones
2. not bad at all. Keep in mind that the #1 indicator of a child's academic success has nothing to do with the school.
3. not a deal breaker. In larger homes, it's quite common to reserve the main level for public/entertainment purposes and keep personal/private areas on the second floor

Good luck with the offer! They've been trying to sell it off and on for a while.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
1. Definitely better than your previous ones
2. not bad at all. Keep in mind that the #1 indicator of a child's academic success has nothing to do with the school.
3. not a deal breaker. In larger homes, it's quite common to reserve the main level for public/entertainment purposes and keep personal/private areas on the second floor

Good luck with the offer! They've been trying to sell it off and on for a while.
Thanks!

1. Regarding the MBR upstairs... I noticed in new construction in SL and other spots that it is usually in the first floor. In PC and in PH, common and ok to have it in 2nd?
2. What would you offer?

Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,646 times
Are all the yards this small in N. Dallas? Are there any decent communities with good schools--I'm leaning toward Plano West High--that have larger, perhaps 1/2-acre average, lot sizes?

Old 04-16-2013, 05:55 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Are all the yards this small in N. Dallas? Are there any decent communities with good schools--I'm leaning toward Plano West High--that have larger, perhaps 1/2-acre average, lot sizes?
No. That precise area has a number of really small lots.

BTW-that general area is gorgeous.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Hey,

Question about this Preston Hollow house -

1. Do you think it's a good location in PH? I checked out the neighborhood and the entire street and the neighboring area looks really nice - the houses are all pretty much tear down and big.

2. Preston Hollow public schools - how bad is it? I know most sent their kids to private schools but is it because they "can" and can "afford" to? Moreso than the school being intrinsically bad and poor performing? I'm not a big proponent of best school ever since I didn't really go to a great school myself.

3. The master bedroom is on the 2nd floor - is this a deal breaker? The listing agent told us that a good portion of homes in Park Cities and Preston Hollow have 2nd floor MBR.... true or not?

4. Anything I should be mindful of with this home or this area?

I think I may put in an offer tonight. Thanks!

6529 Aberdeen Ave, Dallas, TX 75230 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Curiosity got the best of me, I just drove by....
1. Homes along that street and indeed the entire area are really beautiful, just as I had remembered. Also that home would not be among the most expensive along the street which is a plus in my book.
The current owners have two big SUVs parked in front of the garage. I'd make absolutely certain that you and your family can negotiate the chicane around the house into and out of the garage.

2. I don't know enough about DISD schools in that area to comment.

3. I'm not a fan of upstairs masters - that said for me that detail would not be deal breaker.

4. I know you've been looking hard - if I were you I'd have a hard time not making an offer.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:51 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Great neighborhood. Schools depend on your kids. PH Elementary is terrific, wouldn't hesitate to send a child there. When it comes to middle school and high school, motivated high achievers do well at Franklin and Hillcrest, I know lots of kids like that at these schools. If your kid is more likely to get lost in the crowd at that age, then privates and the magnets are the way to go.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 PM

So - upstairs is somewhat the norm in this area?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
I was going to offer $1M... don't want to go above that.

Devil's advocate..........

That would be $187 per square foot (1M/~5300sf). That's almost certainly not going to be acceptable. They are asking $225sf which is about right.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Devil's advocate..........

That would be $187 per square foot (1M/~5300sf). That's almost certainly not going to be acceptable. They are asking $225sf which is about right.
This. The most recent sold comps in 11-10 that were relatively new construction sold for $226, $212, $244, $237, etc. The $225 list price on this one is right in the ballpark and anything sub-$210/SF would probably be rejected. The $1M+ homes in this PH neighborhood are taking 2-3 weeks to get contracts so this one is still pretty fresh on the market.

To answer your original questions,
1. Neighborhood is GREAT! Beautiful tree-lined streets, great central PH location for private schools and shopping / commercial. As you noticed, mainly rebuilt into new construction but a good number of remodeled original ranch or country-lane type homes. Only drawback to the Aberdeen home is a .25 acre lot- most of area 11-10 is .3-.4 acre lots.

2. PH Elementary is ok, better than most DISD elementary schools but not as well regarded as Lakewood or Jackson elementaries in E Dallas. 99% of neighborhood families are in private schools due to the neighborhoods' proximity to many good and elite privates.

3. Master bedroom up is not a deal breaker and not uncommon in PC or PH. It's kind of like having a pool-most buyers have a strong opinion but it's close to 50/50 so there are plenty of buyers either way.

Very pretty house! My favorite of all the ones you've posted so far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas