Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:22 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
was disappointed to learn that the firm I'll be joining was building an office in Plano. Their offices in other major cities, like Boston, DC, and Seattle, are all in downtown/financial districts, so I was expecting the same for Dallas.
Good point! I really don't know why they would locate it there either...

I won't say Legacy is horrible, but it's not for me at all. I use to work off Legacy, west of the tollway. I commuted from Oak Lawn. The worst part of the morning drive will be, Oak Lawn Ave Heading to the tollway. Depending on where you live in Oak Lawn you will access the north Dallas toll road from either Oak Lawn Ave, or Wycliff. You can exit Lemmon Ave coming home, to avoid a toll charge. The commute back to Oak Lawn is generally longer than the morning commute.

Quote:
ChristieP: If I move to Oak Lawn I'll be avoiding the massive construction you spoke of, correct?
Yes you'll avoid the horseshoe project.

If you watch that video carefully, the Italian restaurant the reporter is at is in Oak Lawn.

Quote:
TrueDat: "It's a mix of older apartments and newer condos. It's green, relatively quiet, and full of young professionals but doesn't have the more hectic vibe of Uptown." - Thats exactly what I liked about North Oak Cliff, so if I can find a similar setting in Oak Lawn then it'd be a good fit for me. I'm not looking to spend more than $1,200/mo for a 1b/1b so I should be good, correct?
$1200 will get you a nice safe place down here. (75219)

You may wanna check out 2929 Wycliff apartments. Easy access to the toll road.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 05-05-2013 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 09:23 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Also, check out north Oak Lawn, between Lemmon Ave and Highland Park. Principally streets Herschel, Prescott, and Hawthorne. This has been an old established neighborhood which is transitioning to lots with up to four townhomes on each. If you can, try a google map at street view for a look at the neighborhood.

There are also a number of apartments closer to Lemmon Ave., particularly Holland Ave. I had a condo there for a while, several were rented by original owners. The only way to find them is to drive looking for signs in yards, or by word of mouth.

From that neighborhood, there is a road that parallels DNT through Highland Park and provides one access to the north bound toll road, a couple of streets before Mockingbird Lane.

And it's an awesome area for neighborhood bicycling.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:54 PM

267 posts, read 618,871 times
Related to the OP's situation, I am interviewing at a company right on the Tollway in Addison. I may also be interviewing for comapnies in Legacy area as well. I also checked out the nice complexes ilume and 2929 wycliff, the latter is literally right next to a northbound Tollway exit. That shouldn't be more than 15-20 mins to Addison or 30 max to Legacy, right? I have actually driven the Tollway at 5pm Friday evenings only going southbound and it was a breeze except for an accident that forced all traffic onto Dallas Pkwy.

Also, are there any worthwhile reasonably priced apartments in the Addison, FND, or Legacy areas near the Tollway? I am also interviewing for a company located in the downtown loop, and am wondering if there is anything in the 700-800 a month range for 1bed (yes I know the two I checked out are ~1100/month) commutable to downtown. From these replies it sounds like downtown traffic is pretty crazy.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:34 PM

6 posts, read 7,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Good point! I really don't know why they would locate it there either...

The only thing I could think of is cheaper prices for office space versus DT?

I won't say Legacy is horrible, but it's not for me at all. I use to work off Legacy, west of the tollway. I commuted from Oak Lawn. The worst part of the morning drive will be, Oak Lawn Ave Heading to the tollway. Depending on where you live in Oak Lawn you will access the north Dallas toll road from either Oak Lawn Ave, or Wycliff. You can exit Lemmon Ave coming home, to avoid a toll charge. The commute back to Oak Lawn is generally longer than the morning commute.

I feel the same way about the Plano area; it's too "new". I lived in Chicago for two years and I loved the feel of the city: the density, the neighborhoods with history, and mass transporation. Granted there are few areas in Dallas that resemble Chicago, I'd like to stay as far away from "master planned communities" such as Plano.

Yes you'll avoid the horseshoe project.

If you watch that video carefully, the Italian restaurant the reporter is at is in Oak Lawn.

$1200 will get you a nice safe place down here. (75219)

You may wanna check out 2929 Wycliff apartments. Easy access to the toll road.
The office is actually right off the Tollway at Legacy and I'm looking at the 2929 Wycliff units. What would be a fair estimate for a commute from those units to Legacy/Tollway?

Old 05-05-2013, 04:57 PM

6 posts, read 7,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
Also, check out north Oak Lawn, between Lemmon Ave and Highland Park. Principally streets Herschel, Prescott, and Hawthorne. This has been an old established neighborhood which is transitioning to lots with up to four townhomes on each. If you can, try a google map at street view for a look at the neighborhood.

There are also a number of apartments closer to Lemmon Ave., particularly Holland Ave. I had a condo there for a while, several were rented by original owners. The only way to find them is to drive looking for signs in yards, or by word of mouth.

From that neighborhood, there is a road that parallels DNT through Highland Park and provides one access to the north bound toll road, a couple of streets before Mockingbird Lane.

And it's an awesome area for neighborhood bicycling.
Willsson,

Thanks for the insight and advice! I'm planning on getting a bike and I'd like to be a fun safe neighborhood for that so thanks for pointing that out.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:33 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Greater Dallas Bicyclists

Old 05-07-2013, 12:28 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
Related to the OP's situation, I am interviewing at a company right on the Tollway in Addison. I may also be interviewing for comapnies in Legacy area as well. I also checked out the nice complexes ilume and 2929 wycliff, the latter is literally right next to a northbound Tollway exit. That shouldn't be more than 15-20 mins to Addison or 30 max to Legacy, right? I have actually driven the Tollway at 5pm Friday evenings only going southbound and it was a breeze except for an accident that forced all traffic onto Dallas Pkwy.
I use to live at the Ilume. I loved it! 2929 Wycliff has great access to the tollway, and I know a few people who live/lived there who liked it. Those times seem right. I always left early just in case, but 30 minutes was average.

Quote:
Also, are there any worthwhile reasonably priced apartments in the Addison, FND, or Legacy areas near the Tollway?
I'm not a big fan of Addison, but the Addison circle apartments are slightly cheaper than what you pay in town. Not a fan of Legacy either, go to any of the restaurants that have added a store in Legacy(Naan for example), then go to the original in Uptown, and the difference is chrystal clear. The apartments there are nice, but again you pay the same amount you would pay in town.

Quote:
I am also interviewing for a company located in the downtown loop, and am wondering if there is anything in the 700-800 a month range for 1bed (yes I know the two I checked out are ~1100/month) commutable to downtown. From these replies it sounds like downtown traffic is pretty crazy.
Downtown has some great places, but it's difficult to get to the highway from it. If you work in DT Dallas or nearby it's an exciting neighborhood to be in right now. So many things are happening down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventjock View Post
The office is actually right off the Tollway at Legacy and I'm looking at the 2929 Wycliff units. What would be a fair estimate for a commute from those units to Legacy/Tollway?
I would budget 30 minutes to be safe

Old 05-07-2013, 06:40 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventjock View Post
Thanks to everyone's super helpful responses.

I was disappointed to learn that the firm I'll be joining was building an office in Plano. Their offices in other major cities, like Boston, DC, and Seattle, are all in downtown/financial districts, so I was expecting the same for Dallas.

ChristieP: If I move to Oak Lawn I'll be avoiding the massive construction you spoke of, correct?

TrueDat: "It's a mix of older apartments and newer condos. It's green, relatively quiet, and full of young professionals but doesn't have the more hectic vibe of Uptown." - Thats exactly what I liked about North Oak Cliff, so if I can find a similar setting in Oak Lawn then it'd be a good fit for me. I'm not looking to spend more than $1,200/mo for a 1b/1b so I should be good, correct?
You should be able to find something in that area. I had 2 friends who were sharing a 2-bedroom and paying about $600 each. That was a year ago.

My feeling is that a lot of those places don't advertise so you need to ride around, preferably on bike perhaps to see the signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas