Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:23 PM

33 posts, read 83,174 times

Advertisements

We bought in tribute. Love it. American legend has lower price point than highland homes. Pulte is not in the tribute but neighborhood right outside. 320000 will likely limit you to 3 bedroom. There is one or two grand homes you might could snag in garden section of tribute. Aberdeen phase 1 might have closeout bargains. Prices have increased 3 times since we built...

Phillips creek ranch is 2 minutes away. So everyone who talks about the tribute being horrible location is kidding themselves.

Flower mound is growing...make sure you look at everything they have before crossing off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 AM

6 posts, read 11,610 times
I don't have a commute. I work from home.
If I did it would be to 121&DNT intersection (granite pkwy).

Even otherwise being close to 121 takes care of commute to Irving,Coppell, Airport ()if I join some consulting)
Already close to Addison, Richardson, Plano.
I don't plan on taking a job in downtown Dallas or Ft worth.

My child is just 1 yr old so really we just need a decent Elementary (in 3 years) but I am looking at schools from a re-sale perspective.
Even comparing developments from re-sale perspective.
If we sell, it will likely only be if we decide to move to CA or WA or Houston.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Castle Hills: Whether you end up with "crappy schools" would depend on what part of CH you bought in. If you buy in the older parts (which is considered the "better" part), you would be zoned to CH elementary, all the way through Hebron High, those are some VERY strong schools. Now if you buy in the newer part of CH, I believe its called CH North, then yes, you would have crappy schools.
Independence Elementary will outscore Castle Hills in a few years. The Asian families in the "crappy" areas of CH will ensure that outcome by breathing down the necks of the teachers - and the redneck white kids will be right there with them. The Hispanic kids will also step up to the plate as they are doing in the other schools around DFW.

Expectations. Peers. Curriculum.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:41 AM

794 posts, read 1,670,716 times
Assumptions.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:05 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Independence Elementary will outscore Castle Hills in a few years. The Asian families in the "crappy" areas of CH will ensure that outcome by breathing down the necks of the teachers - and the redneck white kids will be right there with them. The Hispanic kids will also step up to the plate as they are doing in the other schools around DFW.

Expectations. Peers. Curriculum.
Not sure about this. I see what you are saying about the smart kids doing well, maybe even positively influencing some kids from less supportive environments to try harder, but it cuts both ways...some kids will NOT be interested in academics, which is understandable if not acceptable when you consider the kid whose mother is a crack head and father is a gangbanger...assuming there is a father in the picture. Some of the kids from nicer homes may be drawn to the "dumb is cool" crowd as well...but all in all, at best I see Independence evolving into the "school within a school" dynamic, where the smart kids are all clustered into the AP classes with limited interaction with the larger student body which is not academically driven, ala Woodrow in Lakewood. I could be wrong though, and I hope I am.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:38 PM

PUlte is asking 15K in lot premium that Meritage and AMLeg are not.
ANd there is not much of a view, so I don't know why the premium.

Meritage is offering best floor plan and cost /sq ft. Can I use that to get the other 2 to negotiate?
I and FHB and wondering when negotiation is done (I am assuming it is after contract is written and before it is accepted/signed)

Old 05-21-2013, 04:47 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist3d View Post
PUlte is asking 15K in lot premium that Meritage and AMLeg are not.
ANd there is not much of a view, so I don't know why the premium.

Meritage is offering best floor plan and cost /sq ft. Can I use that to get the other 2 to negotiate?
I and FHB and wondering when negotiation is done (I am assuming it is after contract is written and before it is accepted/signed)
Negotiation goes on till you sign the dotted line on the contract. Technically, it goes till the close happens (on the options and not the base price of the home).

You should be able to eliminate the premium with Pulte but you also have to figure out whether Meritage is offering higher priced upgrades such as Pulte might have covered patio as standard whereas Meritage might ask for an upgrade. Basically, there is nothing wrong in asking Pulte straight up on why they are demanding a premium and if the answer is not satisfactory (such as does not mention no-frills Meritage vs. loaded Pulte) then just say you do not clearly understand the value and will go with the others. Period.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
Negotiation goes on till you sign the dotted line on the contract. Technically, it goes till the close happens (on the options and not the base price of the home).

You should be able to eliminate the premium with Pulte but you also have to figure out whether Meritage is offering higher priced upgrades such as Pulte might have covered patio as standard whereas Meritage might ask for an upgrade. Basically, there is nothing wrong in asking Pulte straight up on why they are demanding a premium and if the answer is not satisfactory (such as does not mention no-frills Meritage vs. loaded Pulte) then just say you do not clearly understand the value and will go with the others. Period.
Thx you for your advice. I will be sure to ask Pulte about the lot premium.

I wrote the "funny money" checks to book a lot with all 3 builders.
Next step will be detailed analysis of standards versus options and get them to compete with each other.

I might have more questions, stay tuned.....and thx much!

Old 05-22-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgolf75 View Post
We bought in tribute. Love it. American legend has lower price point than highland homes. Pulte is not in the tribute but neighborhood right outside. 320000 will likely limit you to 3 bedroom. There is one or two grand homes you might could snag in garden section of tribute. Aberdeen phase 1 might have closeout bargains. Prices have increased 3 times since we built...

Phillips creek ranch is 2 minutes away. So everyone who talks about the tribute being horrible location is kidding themselves.

Flower mound is growing...make sure you look at everything they have before crossing off.
Didn't you check out pricing for Meritage, seem to be better than AMLeg?
We have heard terrible things about Grand homes from multiple agents and even though they seem to be working on their support skills, general consensus is to 'avoid them like the plague'.

What price/sqft did AmLeg offer you?
Thx

Old 05-22-2013, 05:35 PM

33 posts, read 83,174 times
Didn't look at meritage, although i pass it everyday. Im not even sure if they are in frisco or not, but i know they aren't in the tribute. I wouldn't buy a grand home because I don't care for floor plans, not because of build quality. I've always heard agents don't like grand homes because they don't pay/schmooze them as well as other builders. They also are a little different floor plan so resell may be tougher, but there is a market for them.

I almost bought an American legend home and can tell you they are very well made based off frame and what I've seen. Giving you the quote I got 8 months ago is going to be way off from current prices. Too many increases since then. If you haven't already hooked up with a realtor and are leaning towards building a home, I'd think long an hard about the need for one. Sure you will be told their 3% is budgeted in a separate marketing budget...but in the end, you have to be in a better negotiating position if they know that 3% won't be coming off be top.

If you aren't sure where you want to be and aren't going to build, maybe a realtor makes since for you, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas