Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:38 PM

12 posts, read 16,238 times

Advertisements

We are building a new home near FM423 and Lebanon in West Frisco (toward Little Elm). Does anyone know if there has been any hail or severe weather from today's storm in this area?

The subdivision is the Del Webb Frisco Lakes.

What happens to a newly framed home that has been rained on? Are there any concerns about damage or future issues with the house? I read online a possible concern with the subfloor??

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 07:42 AM

277 posts, read 678,507 times
I saw a framed office building in McKinney (Stonebridge Adriatica) that had one of its walls blown over from the bad weather we had yesterday I would call your builder for status on your home.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,680 times
What happens to a newly framed home that has been rained on? It gets wet. It'll dry. If water puddles anywhere on the subfloor, the framing crew will generally sweep it out. They don't want to work in a puddle any more than you want the puddle in your potential home. Even if they don't, it'll still dry. The only part of the home-building process that rain can really mess with is pouring the foundation. Those guys have to be particular about pouring when it's not going to rain and not starting a pour until the ground is dry enough. And in my experience, foundation crews err on the side of extreme caution. Everything else is either not going to be hurt by a little rain or is done after the house is dried in.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:58 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
Thats why they asked about hail not rain in the title....

Old 05-22-2013, 10:30 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Thats why they asked about hail not rain in the title....
These are quite specifically the questions I answered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscoteam8 View Post
What happens to a newly framed home that has been rained on? Are there any concerns about damage or future issues with the house? I read online a possible concern with the subfloor?? (emphasis mine)
The only questions related to hail in the title or body of the post are questions related to whether or not it hailed in Frisco. I don't know the answer to that question. But I am quite aware of the effects of rain on the framing process. My answer wouldn't be much different for hail, but that was never actually asked.

Last edited by hal2814; 05-22-2013 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Bold instead of italics for quote emphasis

Old 05-22-2013, 10:36 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
We did not have hail yesterday, btw

Old 05-22-2013, 07:20 PM

Arrow New Home Foundation: How long to cure or dry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
What happens to a newly framed home that has been rained on? It gets wet. It'll dry. If water puddles anywhere on the subfloor, the framing crew will generally sweep it out. They don't want to work in a puddle any more than you want the puddle in your potential home. Even if they don't, it'll still dry. The only part of the home-building process that rain can really mess with is pouring the foundation. Those guys have to be particular about pouring when it's not going to rain and not starting a pour until the ground is dry enough. And in my experience, foundation crews err on the side of extreme caution. Everything else is either not going to be hurt by a little rain or is done after the house is dried in.
Our foundation was poured on May 11th. (Builder is Pulte.)
The framing was completed May 17th.
It rained yesterday hard. Is our foundation affected by this rain since it was newly poured?
How long does it take for the foundation to cure?

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
These are quite specifically the questions I answered:

The only questions related to hail in the title or body of the post are questions related to whether or not it hailed in Frisco. I don't know the answer to that question. But I am quite aware of the effects of rain on the framing process. My answer wouldn't be much different for hail, but that was never actually asked.
What does happen if a house gets hailed on?

Old 05-22-2013, 08:11 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,749 times
One strong Texas style sunny day and your foundation is done after pouring. If you had the foundation poured on may 11th, you were long set. In fact the reason they had framing done was because your foundation is done. They are hammering those frames into those nails, what will hail do? It is concrete.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:37 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friscoteam8 View Post
What does happen if a house gets hailed on?
Hail doesn't do anything to frame unless it is baseball size in my opinion. Even if it does, it is your responsibility to check for defects and in any case get the builder to fix it. The builder will repair the roof in case of damage. It is usually recommended to get frame and mechanicals inspected just pre-dry wall storm or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: