Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:33 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times

Advertisements

Or even downtown. You can find anything in your price range from a more modern feel(Mosaic/Element) to a more historical classic feel(Wilson). All ages live in down town and with the revitalization recently, its really turning into a nice neighborhood. I also agree that Uptown may be to you for you. Yes are there people that are older partying with the college and fresh out of college kids, but it's still a very young and immature crowd. All people are different. I'm still in my 20's and would be much happier relaxing on a beach in a retirement setting than bar hopping in uptown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I run an online business, so I'm not concerned about commutes as I don't have to do them. Just looking for an area where I won't have to drive 20 miles to get to a mall, good restaurants or movies. I'll check out the recommendations here.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:14 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Knox Henderson would be perfect for you

Old 08-19-2013, 12:04 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Knox-Henderson
Uptown
Downtown
Deep Ellum / Expo Park
Lakewood Village / Junius Heights
M Streets / Lower Greenville
Inwood Village / Greenway Crest/ Devonshire

Spend some time in each of these "inner loop" neighborhoods and I guarantee one or two will jump out as feeling like "home". On the surface, they all meet your criteria but each had its own unique flavor.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,869 times
Lakewood is a great base!
My daughter has lived in Lakewood for 6 years.
She just crosses the street to get to White Rock, she's 5 minutes from Downtown, 5 minutes from lower Greenville.
Lakewood and the East side of 75/South of Mockingbird, M-streets, Deep Ellum, Fair Park, seems to be more arty and less fussy than the uptown crowd.
I also like the area around Farmers Market in Downtown and just South of downtown.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:12 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Knox Henderson would be perfect for you
Yeah I agree with this.

If I had his budget here's where I'd live:

Paseo | Dallas TX Luxury Apartments | Lincoln Property Company | LPC - YouTube
Paseo :•: Home

Old 08-21-2013, 10:58 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Yeah I agree with this.

If I had his budget here's where I'd live
Excellent! Thanks for this suggestion! Any more like this are welcome.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:38 PM

257 posts, read 550,244 times
You've received some great suggestions. I think it really comes down to whether you like living in an older, more established part of town (like Knox Henderson or downtown) that's a little more urban with eclectic shops and fancy restaurants alongside dive bars and burger joints -- OR if you prefer a newer, more suburban area (like Addison Circle or Legacy in Plano, and even some parts of Uptown) where pretty much everything is shiny and new and dives can't afford the rent.

If you hate chain restaurants and big box stores, you will probably not be a big fan of Plano or McKinney. If you hate seeing a random homeless person on a street corner or cringe at the thought of someone asking you for money when you walk out of Walgreen's, you probably won't enjoy most of the more urban neighborhoods in Dallas (including Knox/Henderson, Deep Ellum/Farmer's Market and even some parts of Lakewood/East Dallas).

Old 08-21-2013, 03:55 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Excellent! Thanks for this suggestion! Any more like this are welcome.
Not all of us like the same things ....thank goodness. An option to the city locations mentioned by many is Legacy in Plano. Not all singles are dying to live in Uptown etc. My single neighbor lives here in W. Plano in a single family home, she is too old for Uptown according to some at mid 30's but is perfectly happy in W. Plano. She has the resources to live where ever she wants and splits time between her home here and her home in Tampa. W. Plano has a nice mix of restaurants (not all chains either, although not all chains are bad) and other activities that appeal to me, such as many great golf options within 10 miles and a few nice bars as well, many of which are in legacy.

Welcome to Tx... enjoy your exploring and deciding where to live.... there are great places in the city of Dallas and out side it too.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Knox-Henderson would be a good compromise as you are between Uptown, Oak Lawn, Park Cities and Greenville Avenue/Lakewood/White Rock Lake/Deep Ellum. It is a short hop either direction on Central Expressway (75) north to North Park and big box store land or to the south to Downtown.

You can walk to a lot of places in Knox-Henderson.

There are a couple of community organizations and neighborhood associations you can join. If you are more into that, I would go east to Lakewood. It's not all families, there's a good mix. The singles tend to live more in what you would call East Dallas or somewhat the M-Streets (but families there too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas