Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:45 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,703 times

Advertisements

We've been running our sprinklers 3X a week for 20 minutes during this drought. We check the foundation to make sure there is no space between the dirt and the foundation.

What are other people doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:54 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,533,345 times
Run my soakers for i hour per each side of home, every other day. My home is older....I know I might need foundation work...just can't afford it right now. Hopefully by tax time (if we get a return)

Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
foundation sprinklers 3x per week for 30min.
yard is getting very little water right now, but it doing ok. hand watering trees(slow drip on the hose for for 30 minutes) and shrubs as needed. Some things are showing signs of heat stress but so far so good.
Goodness, we need rain. I will take the hot temps, but please let some rain come our way!!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:02 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,703 times
We aren't specifically watering the foundation, but the sprinklers are close to the foundation and it appears to get wet.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:06 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
^ yes, same here but I turned off the ones that just water the lawn, so only about 1/3 of my sprinklers are on right now.
The lawn will be fine with just 1x per week, it wont be lush and green, but it wont die either! (plus who wants to mow in 100+ degrees!)

Old 08-12-2011, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,058 times
Does anyone know how to water the foundation when the driveway is immediately adjacent to it? In other words, no dirt to water. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 08-14-2011, 05:11 PM

621 posts, read 1,333,550 times
With this dry weather I have been turning on the soaker hose 4-5 days a week, a few hours each day

Old 08-14-2011, 08:09 PM

10 posts, read 40,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Sprinkler System - I only set mine on auto about 4-5 months a year - May to Sept. The other months I hit "run" to cycle the system as needed depending on rain. I don't set my zones for all the same time since different areas need different amounts of water.

The north side of my house which gets little sun is set for 6-8 minutes where the south or west side of the House is set for 18 to 30 minutes depending on the time of year and the water needed.

With your sprinkler, one time setting does not fit all. Adjust the time in each zone to fit the amount of water needed. By doing your yard correctly, you really should not need to "Water your Foundation"
Thanks for the detailed info here. I've been searching online for the right way to 'water' your foundation. I was thinking that I was supposed to rotate my adjustable sprinker heads in order to have them literally watering the foundation. I will be undoing that tomorrow! And I also appreciate you listing how much you water your yard; this is a question I'm always asking, never really finding a concrete answer. We currently have all zones set on 10 minute cycles, but it makes sense that different sides of the house have differing timing needs. Another thing we'll be adjusting tomorrow Thanks!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:14 PM

10 posts, read 40,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I live in a newer subdivision with a lot of recently planted trees. You can watch many of my neighbors trees slowing dying daily this time of year due to a lack of water.

I fertilized mine a few weeks back, water by hand deeply at least 1 time a week and they are looking great. I wish some of my neighbors would figure this out but many are from foreign countries and I believe this is all completely Unknown to many people who've never been exposed to maintaining a home.

One guy around the corner has replaced his trees for the 3rd time since the HOA requires. You'd think he would make the extra effort to maintain.
I hear you on that! My husband and I are young 1st time homeowners, and many of our friends and neighbors (who are also 1st-time homeowners) don't seem to pay any attention to the maintenance that goes into owning a home. I hate to see plants crapping out, bermuda grass taking over flower beds, etc. Come on, folks, get a clue!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:17 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seh0041 View Post
I hear you on that! My husband and I are young 1st time homeowners, and many of our friends and neighbors (who are also 1st-time homeowners) don't seem to pay any attention to the maintenance that goes into owning a home. I hate to see plants crapping out, bermuda grass taking over flower beds, etc. Come on, folks, get a clue!
I would bet that many of those neighbors are renters. Renters tend not to care about the condition of the exterior of the house, and unless the landlord pays for yard maintenance, they usually do the bare minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas