Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 04:48 PM

419 posts, read 553,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
This attitude was a large factor in why we didn't consider looking in the west Plano area when deciding where to settle a few years ago. After living in central Plano for 5 years, I found this attitude to be way too prevalent for my liking. Not that every west Plano-ite was that way...but way more of them than I was comfortable with. It's unfortunate...because west Plano has so many great things going for it, but IMO, snobbery like this is what really "brings down" that area.
This!

Old 10-15-2013, 10:22 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I have heard many similar comments stating that the problem with Plano lies in its central and eastern areas. I know a person who lives in West Plano and is strong proponent of idea that older part of the town is dragging down posh West Plano area. Here some concerns I have heard:

1.) West Plano area's city and PISD Tax revenues are subsiding the poorer Central and East Plano. If they weren't stuck with those parts, they would have more money for to spend on their area.

2.) West Plano has best school in PISD, such as West Plano Senior High. The other parts of town have much less desirable school. In fact, some people complain that residents from the Central or East Plano often try to get their kids into West Plano Senior High like in recent redistricting plan in PISD.

3.) There many dying business in East Plano, such as Collin Creek Mall, which are an eye sore to the city of Plano. Most of good business, such Trader Joe, open in West Plano. Not to mention West Plano has prime real estate for corporate offices in the entire DFW area.

4.) Supposedly there is a lot high crime rate in the old area of Plano, especially near downtown. Someone say there lot of un-desirable types of people living there. I heard this area refereed to as the "Ghetto of Plano"

So would guys agree that West Plano is getting dragged down by the central and eastern parts of Plano?
The points in this post seem like a load of cr*p to me; however, why are you asking these questions? Is ALL of West Plano going to secede from the City of Plano? Even is that happened, the PISD wouldn't split up the district. Or, if they did, would West Plano ISD have enough money to buy all of the schools and build a new football stadium for PWISD? That would be a huge financial outlay when you are talking about bonds and taxes.

I would say that ideas like this paint West Plano as being full of arrogant *ssholes that give the City of Plano a bad name. I do not see central or east Plano as being a drag on the city. Since east Plano and central Plano were there first, then I would say that if they WERE a drag, then west Plano would not have been built. The businesses and homes would have been built elsewhere. THEY decided to build in the Plano that IS east and central Plano.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:38 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
I have heard many similar comments stating that the problem with Plano lies in its central and eastern areas. I know a person who lives in West Plano and is strong proponent of idea that older part of the town is dragging down posh West Plano area. Here some concerns I have heard:

1.) West Plano area's city and PISD Tax revenues are subsiding the poorer Central and East Plano. If they weren't stuck with those parts, they would have more money for to spend on their area.

2.) West Plano has best school in PISD, such as West Plano Senior High. The other parts of town have much less desirable school. In fact, some people complain that residents from the Central or East Plano often try to get their kids into West Plano Senior High like in recent redistricting plan in PISD.

3.) There many dying business in East Plano, such as Collin Creek Mall, which are an eye sore to the city of Plano. Most of good business, such Trader Joe, open in West Plano. Not to mention West Plano has prime real estate for corporate offices in the entire DFW area.

4.) Supposedly there is a lot high crime rate in the old area of Plano, especially near downtown. Someone say there lot of un-desirable types of people living there. I heard this area refereed to as the "Ghetto of Plano"

So would guys agree that West Plano is getting dragged down by the central and eastern parts of Plano?
Even though this post has been soundly defeated on every point here, I will add to what DitsyD has mentioned in the previous post: The Plano INDEPENDENT School District is not run by the city, its boundaries are not contiguous with the city limits and has students in it that do not live in the city of Plano. Conversely, some of the tony neighborhoods in far western Plano are not in the PISD but in the Lewisville ISD and are districted for Hebron High School. So any conjecturing about West Plano seceding would have no effect on the schools.

There is a reason the word INDEPENDENT appears in all of the school systems around here.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:59 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
I cannot believe this topic.

When I lived in Dallas (moved away in 2001), Plano residents had the unfortunate reputation of snobbery. I used to hear that opinion about Plano constantly - that they thought they were better than everyone else, with the exception of the residents of Highland Park maybe.

So the snobbery has turned inward and is now being directed against each other? Wow. That's progress.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:12 AM

603 posts, read 573,808 times
Quote:

Sounds like this is happening in West Plano High.

‘I Have a Few Things to Say to Those Kids’: Glenn Beck’s Passionate and Emotional Message to the Students Who Bullied a Special Needs Teen | TheBlaze.com

Old 10-17-2013, 09:42 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Great. Leave it to that moron to politicize something that has absolutely nothing to do with politics.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:12 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Great. Leave it to that moron to politicize something that has absolutely nothing to do with politics.
IIRC, he lives in Westlake, right? (I'm guessing in Vaquero but not sure). We could develop a whole thread of "areas that look down their noses at everyone else". I'm sure there have been plenty in the past. Maybe do a game show "Who's more snobby?" (if anyone recalls the old SNL skit "Who's More Grizzled", this would be a riff off of that).

I'm guessing even in Vaquero most people are cool but some aren't. I once sat on a plane flight next to a Westlake denizen and she kinda lived up/down to the reputation.

Then again, as I've noted in other posts I live in Southlake so who am I, who lives in Southlake, to talk, because as a Southlake resident I'm probably pretty snobby, because that's what Southlake is like, which is where I live, which most people wouldn't know because they, unlike I, don't have the experience of actually living in Southlake, because only a select few can live there, "there" being Southlake, in Carroll ISD OF COURSE, not in the (*dismissive hand gesture*) WESTERN part of Southlake, which is zoned to (*disdainful look*) KELLER ISD, which isn't REAL Southlake, where I live. In Carroll ISD in Southlake, with some of the best SAT scores in the Metroplex, because we're just The Awesomest People Of Ever, in Southlake. Did I mention that I live in Southlake?!

(Actually, I did buy some Dragon swag from kidlet's school, so now when I venture out to run errands and go to neighboring towns I feel like I have to wear a sign saying "no, I am not a jackhole")

Old 10-17-2013, 10:32 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
(if anyone recalls the old SNL skit "Who's More Grizzled", this would be a riff off of that).

I'm sorry, that's wrong. No, no that wasn't grizzled, that was wistful. Mr. Mitchum, you can take a commanding lead here!

Tate Mitchum: I've buried wives, but a father should never bury a son. It was the West Plano secession war of '14, we were all caught on those wierd giant grass berms that separate shops from Preston Road, but.. I don't want to talk about this no more.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:25 PM

112 posts, read 228,788 times
Where does 75075 fit in all this? Trying to analyse the new West Park community here. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:17 PM

794 posts, read 1,670,716 times
Its a nice community with new Toll homes,Plano schools and quick access to city via Expressway & Turnpike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas