Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 09:26 AM

316 posts, read 849,565 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been? If so, was it worthwhile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 10:03 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
I'm curious too!

Old 11-05-2013, 03:07 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
This will be our first Christmas in Dallas, but we are SO going! We've been to the real thing in Munich & Vienna - hope this one is a good attempt!

Old 11-06-2013, 06:49 AM

I think we're going to give it a try too. For anyone else who is interested, here is the link:

Arlington Christkindl Market | German holiday market in Arlington, Texas

Old 11-30-2013, 10:39 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
We went tonight and had a great time! I wanted to report back and encourage you all to go!

It's a relatively small market set up right along one of the roads next to the Ballpark, but we still had plenty to do for the 2 hours we were there.

I'm really impressed--Arlington did a good job. Parking is free (and very close) and admission is free. You buy tickets (cash or credit card) for food or the petting zoo. We spent $30 and got 2 brats (very tasty), a drink, strudel, and admission to the petting zoo for our toddler. There was lots of staff there (Rangers employees and Arlington City Council I think) that were very friendly and interested in hearing how we heard about the event. They are obviously trying to grow it and get the word out.

It was a very festive atmosphere--lots of lights, I'd go at night if you can. You can tell they've made an effort to make it nice and relatively authentic.

Here is what they offer:

Shops: Lots of handmade items, German items, etc. My sisters bought beautiful alpaca infinity scarves from one of the booths. Maybe not a lot you would buy, but cool items. I was very tempted by a $12 knitted hat.

Food: Brats, beer, schnitzel, potato pancakes, pork sandwiches, "German cheesesteaks" (my sisters got them and said they were great), kettle corn, cider, hot chocolate, gluhwein (will have to try it next year when I'm not pregnant), corn dogs, strudel (okay, but I wish I had gotten a crepe), crepes, and more stuff I don't remember. Prices weren't too bad. ($8 for a brat with toppings, $3 for a coke, $3 for cider/hot chocolate, $6 for beer, etc.)

Activities: Meet Santa (legit looking dude in a neat costume), live music (really good), "Bavarian Petting Zoo" ($5, pigs, ducks, sheep, goats, pony--toddler had a blast), and a marionette theater we didn't get to check out (I believe you need to buy tickets in advance, but it looked quite intricate online and very neat)

Very cool. We will be back next year for sure.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:48 AM

26 posts, read 40,173 times
We had a good time there. Its worth spending an hour or two.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:48 AM

We went this weekend and enjoyed it. The market really captures the feeling of the holidays. Plan to go for a few hours, get some food, and poke around the booths. If possible, also find the entertainment schedule.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:29 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
We're hoping to go this weekend... If we're not all iced in!

Old 12-05-2013, 03:06 PM

34 posts, read 53,869 times
I went last weekend and wasn't blown away but still had a good time. It's small and really one of the two spots to go is the indoor (tent) Kathe Wohlfarht booth that has all the beautiful pyramids and ornaments. We bought a couple things there. The other is the food. There are quite a few vendors there that had some jewelry and some with just crap and was disappointed that they really had nothing to do with German/European background whatsoever. A couple places were just ridiculous and belong in the craft mall somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas