Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:32 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperblue View Post
Hello. I grew up in the Chicagoland area and have lived in Dallas since 2009. July and August (and sometimes most of September) are unbearable. I love to run, but cannot do it outside. Yes, it's sunny--but it's also a god damn oven.
No one forced me to move here--and I was well aware of the heat before I arrived--but I've had enough.
If you can afford it, move to Southern California.
If he is concerned about politics, SoCal is a libertarian's nightmare. Taxes, big government, and over regulation is popular among voters there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 01:27 PM

9 posts, read 11,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apsjiml View Post
I think that is just it. I moved from Florida to here about 13 yrs ago. I thought well, it will be cooler . Well, not really the summer feels just about as humid and you forget about the sun. When mid september hits it rains all the time, super dark 8 or 9 out of 10 days, all the way until november-december, then it snows and is dark all the time. Then spring comes March-April, then it rains and is dark all the time until mid may sometimes June. Then the summer hits and hot and humid, and it really isn't very sunny even in the summer. I realize Texas is hot a few months out of the year, and you don't really want to go outside say 3 months out of the year. But, honestly, it is like that here in the summer too, and frankly, we have terrible weather except a handfull of days a year.
If you work inside you'll be ok but dont expect to do much outside from about June to September because the heat is brutal, in fact I would say North/central Texas is consistently hotter for a longer stretch than any other locale (excluding the desert southwest) in the US. Come visit for a week in August then make your decision

Old 01-12-2014, 01:33 PM

9 posts, read 11,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperblue View Post
Hello. I grew up in the Chicagoland area and have lived in Dallas since 2009. July and August (and sometimes most of September) are unbearable. I love to run, but cannot do it outside. Yes, it's sunny--but it's also a god damn oven.
No one forced me to move here--and I was well aware of the heat before I arrived--but I've had enough.
If you can afford it, move to Southern California.

Good advice, just be prepared for extreme heat for extended period no comparison to the Midwest. 2011 DFW had 71 100+ days, quite a few days over 110.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:34 PM

5 posts, read 6,435 times
Southern California would be nice weather wise. Holy christmas is that liberal! I hated that in Minnesota-twin cities. You didn't have to talk politics you could feel the liberal. I will be curious, how that compares to Florida, super super humid 96 summer.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,725 times
We're not on the water like FL, LA, and some of the other places mentioned. As a young child, I grew up on the Texas coast. To me, that's humid. Dallas is not humid. I have SAD as well and have to go out into the sunshine at least 15 minutes a day. I get really down if I can't see blue sky. I've lived here for decades and it mostly bothers me in January and April. TONS of sunshine in the summertime! It doesn't get dark in June until after 9PM. Your number of sunny days where you live now sounds like Seattle. I'd go bat s*&% crazy with all that grey!

Yes, it gets hot here - 110 + some days - but just like in places where you have to shovel snow from your driveway to go to work - you get used to it. All the cars here are sold with A/C. No one really considers it an option. There are malls, movies, libraries, pools, restaurants, lots of different places you can cool off.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 3,725 times
We're not on the water like FL, LA, and some of the other places mentioned. As a young child, I grew up on the Texas coast. To me, that's humid. Dallas is not humid. I have SAD as well and have to go out into the sunshine at least 15 minutes a day. I get really down if I can't see blue sky. I've lived here for decades and it mostly bothers me in January and April. TONS of sunshine in the summertime! It doesn't get dark in June until after 9PM. Your number of sunny days where you live now sounds like Seattle. I'd go bat s*&% crazy with all that grey!

Yes, it gets hot here - 110 + some days - but just like in places where you have to shovel snow from your driveway to go to work - you get used to it. All the cars here are sold with A/C. No one really considers it an option. There are malls, movies, libraries, pools, restaurants, lots of different places you can cool off.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:23 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times
Hi there! I moved from VT to OH to DFW. I love the weather here and no longer suffer from S.A.D. Hope this helps.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:17 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
If Dallas is too hot, you could look at Oklahoma city. It would be a compromise between the weather of Dallas and South Bend, Indiana. The weather in full of extremes, since it's in the middle of Tornado Alley.

Last edited by move4ward; 01-18-2014 at 06:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas