Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:14 AM

30 posts, read 68,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Moderator Note: While this post was authored to help the OP. This topic comes up a lot. Feel free to post all commute times, questions, and related information here too

There is also a former thread: Commuting in Dallas - I posted in The Dallas Relocation Sticky

RonnieinDallas
Speaking of commutes, is the commute from Lakewood to the area south of the airport considered a 'reverse commute'? Google says its a 25 minute commute in the morning. Is that accurate? Don't mean to hijack the thread but I couldnt find anything about it in a search

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 01-01-2014 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 11:57 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,485,800 times
Default Commuting in Dallas

Post all commute times, and related information here. Feel free to post specific commute questions here too

Old 12-17-2013, 12:11 PM

30 posts, read 68,236 times
Thanks!

Old 12-17-2013, 01:06 PM

125 posts, read 635,895 times
Yayy!! I had a question regarding a commute and wasn't sure if there was a specific thread for it - looks like there is now!!

I live in Uptown (off E. Lemmon Ave) and work in Plano (off Headquarters). People say this is "reverse" traffic, and in the morning I see that it's not too bad, but evening traffic is DREADFUL!

I leave for work at 7:30am
I leave work for home at 5pm (no later than 5:15pm)

My commute to work isn't too bad (75N to 635W to DNT; off at Headquarters). Approx 30min.
My commute from work is horrific (DNT all the way down to Mockingbird.. the worst part is the DNT between Headquarters and Galleria Mall).

Any help on the Headquarters to Lemmon Ave. evening commute would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2013, 01:38 PM

64 posts, read 116,352 times
Regarding Lakewood - south of airport commute I am guessing that you are talking about DFW Airport (there are several in the area). I would say that this is a reverse commute BUT the "problem" you will run into is getting through Downtown Dallas since Lakewood is on the east side of Dallas and DFW is west of Dallas. I-30 and I-35E are both always crowded in all directions in the morning. You can get around this by going through downtown, Woodall Rodgers, West Dallas or Oak Lawn, but it will be a hit or miss.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:17 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
Live Oak/Gaston to Pearl, McKinnon, Tollway/35 is another way - I have another friend who goes Routh connection to Maple to 35. There is also Fitzhugh/Wycliff. DART rail will be open to DFW Airport in a year or so .. I think..

Old 12-17-2013, 04:04 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGal View Post
Yayy!! I had a question regarding a commute and wasn't sure if there was a specific thread for it - looks like there is now!!

I live in Uptown (off E. Lemmon Ave) and work in Plano (off Headquarters). People say this is "reverse" traffic, and in the morning I see that it's not too bad, but evening traffic is DREADFUL!

I leave for work at 7:30am
I leave work for home at 5pm (no later than 5:15pm)

My commute to work isn't too bad (75N to 635W to DNT; off at Headquarters). Approx 30min.
My commute from work is horrific (DNT all the way down to Mockingbird.. the worst part is the DNT between Headquarters and Galleria Mall).

Any help on the Headquarters to Lemmon Ave. evening commute would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!
I do the same commute. The trick in the afternoon is to leave your office before 4:45 or after 6. Leaving at 5 is the kiss of death and there are NO alternate routes (Midway, Preston, Ohio/Hillcrest) that are faster even if traffic moves on those roads vs crawls on DNT.

I find if I leave at 5, I'm home at 6. If I leave at 6, I'm home by 6:20. It just makes more sense to work an extra hour and if I have a night where I have somewhere to be, I leave at 4:45 and don't feel bad about it!

Old 12-18-2013, 07:55 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I do the same commute. The trick in the afternoon is to leave your office before 4:45 or after 6. Leaving at 5 is the kiss of death and there are NO alternate routes (Midway, Preston, Ohio/Hillcrest) that are faster even if traffic moves on those roads vs crawls on DNT.

I find if I leave at 5, I'm home at 6. If I leave at 6, I'm home by 6:20. It just makes more sense to work an extra hour and if I have a night where I have somewhere to be, I leave at 4:45 and don't feel bad about it!
Ditto, I've done this commute from Uptown to Plano and Richardson and it's better to leave slightly early than 5pm or wait till 6pmish.

It's similar to our commute back and forth from UP to Southlake…I generally wait till after 6pm to leave.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:06 PM

235 posts, read 347,169 times
Default Traffic is going worse, worse and worse every year

I live and work in North Dallas and the distance between my work and home is around 10 miles. I always go to work at the same time and go home at the same time, and I always use the same roads so those things are constant. About 3 years ago, I could leave work at 6:30 and be home at 6:45. Last year, I noticed that I wouldn't get home until 6:50-6:55 anymore even though I left at the same time and used the same roads. As of current, I am really surprised if it takes me less than 30 minutes to go home and my wife is really surprised if I'm home before 7.

I understand that Dallas is one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the country and a lot of people move here from different parts of the country to find a better job, and get a better life, but they have to find a solution to the traffic problem. At this rate, in 5 years or so we'll be just like LA or NY where going out consists of sitting in traffic for hours and coming back home.

Maybe Dallas should invest in public transportation. This makes the most sense given how most Dallas drivers aren't that great at the wheel anyways.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:22 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,461,659 times
I purposely leave the house at 6am and the office by 430pm to avoid traffic. And I would have what most would consider to be a "reverse" on 75 everyday. Once in awhile I will not leave the office until 5/530pm and what is usually at 20 minute commute can take an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas