Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 04:40 PM

100 posts, read 163,665 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I generally like to keep to myself, is the greater Dallas area a good city to live in for an introverted, single, male, college student? I've lived in the Seattle area and enjoyed the weather, the considerate drivers, and the fact people generally kept to themselves and stayed out of each others way, the women just weren't really my type in generally (Very few Latin women or Mulatto's). I'm currently in San Diego, CA and HATE it. I don't really care for the overall attitudes of a lot of the people here and the drivers suck. I also am not a fan of the weather, it rarely rains and it's sunny virtually ALL the time.

I don't mind a friendly nod when passing someone but I'm not an overly social person, would Dallas fit me? I don't mean to be rude but please no questions about why I'm not sociable or why I'm not an extrovert, it's irrelevant. Thanks in advance for any replies!

-Sirdantes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 05:22 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,751,787 times
Honestly IMO you're going to have other issues than whether or not your personality is a fit (and it would be). I've met several people who have moved from Seattle who loved it there and absolutely hated it here. And also several people who were unhappy here that moved to Seattle and loved it. And vice versa.

I get the distinct impression that Seattle and Dallas are polar opposites.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:30 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,410,278 times
I'm not going to compare Dallas to Seattle or San Diego, but in my opinion, yes the DFW area is good for introverts:

1) You do lots of car commuting, so no shoulder-to-shoulder with your fellow man on public transport if you don't want it.
2) Fast food and delivery food culture is very strong. You can eat well without cooking or eating out.
3) Plenty of IT and work from home type jobs are available.
4) Plenty of suburban lifestyle homes with rear-entry garages for home owners and plenty of garden apartments where only one or two people share a building, and each have their own private entrance.
5) there really are no public gathering locations that are exceptional with wall-to-wall crowds, like a beaches, major museums, or major monuments. Perot and NorthPark come the closest, but they are still not that crowded.

As for weather, it rains plenty, so if you can handle the hot months (when it also doesn't rain), which are July-September, then you might like it ok.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:43 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,108,329 times
Dallas is one of the sunniest cities in the nation. It most certainly does not rain plenty, in fact, we're usually in some stage of draught for most of the year.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:55 PM

100 posts, read 163,665 times
Thanks for all the replies guys. MckinneyOwnr, according to the research I've done, Dallas gets about 40 inches of rain a year which is about two inches MORE than Seattle and about 4 times as much as San Diego. Seems like plenty of rain to me.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:13 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
Yeah but it comes in buckets, rather infrequently, so there are way more sunny days.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:15 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdantes View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. MckinneyOwnr, according to the research I've done, Dallas gets about 40 inches of rain a year which is about two inches MORE than Seattle and about 4 times as much as San Diego. Seems like plenty of rain to me.
It comes in large, infrequent doses.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:31 PM

794 posts, read 1,671,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I'm not going to compare Dallas to Seattle or San Diego, but in my opinion, yes the DFW area is good for introverts:

1) You do lots of car commuting, so no shoulder-to-shoulder with your fellow man on public transport if you don't want it.
2) Fast food and delivery food culture is very strong. You can eat well without cooking or eating out.
3) Plenty of IT and work from home type jobs are available.
4) Plenty of suburban lifestyle homes with rear-entry garages for home owners and plenty of garden apartments where only one or two people share a building, and each have their own private entrance.
5) there really are no public gathering locations that are exceptional with wall-to-wall crowds, like a beaches, major museums, or major monuments. Perot and NorthPark come the closest, but they are still not that crowded.

As for weather, it rains plenty, so if you can handle the hot months (when it also doesn't rain), which are July-September, then you might like it ok.
Great post! :-)

Old 12-23-2013, 05:09 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,124,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Yeah but it comes in buckets, rather infrequently, so there are way more sunny days.
She laid out the truth in that statement. In Dallas, you will get little to no rain for several weeks.

BAM!

You get 6 inches of rain from the remnants of dying tropical storms and hurricanes coming from the gulf.

Then, it's back to the drought for several weeks.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:47 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,108,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdantes View Post
You have to live here to know. Like others have posted, we get torrential rains just a few times per year, with flash flooding, etc. It happens so hard and fast that the ground doesn't have time to absorb much of it. Once that all runs off, we'll go weeks before seeing rain again. Most of the time, TX as a whole is in some stage of drought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas