Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:44 PM

8 posts, read 9,662 times

Advertisements

I'm a 23 yr old AA male who moved here for a project. I've been working for about a year and a half (love my job, get to live where I want) and regrettably chose to live in Las Colinas (nice area but not my style at all. There's a nearby strip club, Onyx, and that really isn't my thing but as good as it gets out here) because it's about a 5 mile commute to work. At this point I'm willing to do an hour, even an hour and a half commute to live somewhere fun. I've got a good head on my shoulders, money really isn't an issue and I haven't completely detached myself from my college roots (Penn State All Day! lol)

I need a party atmosphere and help on where to live...I know it seems degressive but I'm not looking to be judged. I want to meet down to earth friends who like to drink, party have a good time. I like noise lol. Too quiet is weird for me. I've been a city kid all my life so that's just what I'm used to. Before this I've never looked to the internet for friends but it's gotten to that point which really doesn't sit with me well..

To get straight to the point does anyone have any suggestions on where I should consider living? I'm leaving my apartment and packing up in a couple days. I'm currently looking at South Dallas (Mosaic) and need to know if i'm headed in the right direction or if there's something better suited for me...

My professional life is going very well, just there's simply things I can't do with that particular community.

Again summary of what I'm saying:

- 23, African American Male
- I really love all races (in terms of male friends and female interests), hate boring people
- Noise doesn't bother me. Sometimes it's even a good thing.
- Work in Las Colinas/Irving. Don't care about commute as long as its under 1.5 hours
- Price range for living: ~$1100 - 1800/mo...but less is always better lol
- Living conditions: Not picky at all. As long as I have a lock on my door that works I'm fine. People > Living Accomodations for me

If anyone can help me out or even show me around I'm more than willing to try anything at this point. Just don't want to sit in the house for another weekend. Anything else you need to know just ask

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 07:56 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
Uptown

Old 12-27-2013, 08:19 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Uptown or The Village. Both are pretty noisy at night, especially on the weekends. You might even be lucky enough to get a neighbor who blasts their stereo all day and night!

Old 12-27-2013, 09:09 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Sounds like you'd prefer Uptown over The Village. Lots of bars and places to meet people, and it can get loud. Uptown is more expensive but it doesn't sound like you're on a tight budget.

Some hangout places: Renfield's Corner, Primebar, The Rustic, 6th Street, Katy Trail Ice House, Quarter Bar, Idle Rich, Common Table, Black Friar, Union Bear, Sambuca, Max's Wine Dive, The Den (cool third-floor balcony) and Avenu (dance club)

You also might like the Knox-Henderson area, just north of Uptown. Some hangouts: Capitol Pub, Slip Inn, Barcadia, Gin Mill, J. Black's.

If you're looking for something a bit more alternative (more tattoos, fewer Polo shirts), Deep Ellum and nearby Fair Park area would be more to your liking. Again, lots of places to hang out and more places here for live music: Sandbar (where you can also play beach volleyball), Allgood Cafe, Anvil Pub, Double Wide, Meridian Room, Prophet Bar, Twilite Lounge, Trees, Club Dada, Work, Adair's, Amsterdam Bar, Angry Dog, and Lizard Lounge (electronic dance music) come to mind.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Definitely Uptown!

And I wish I could "sticky" your post so every poster who suggests Las Colinas, Addison, Shops @ Legacy, etc for young & fun professionals would just stop doing that!!

Old 12-27-2013, 11:45 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
And I wish I could "sticky" your post so every poster who suggests Las Colinas, Addison, Shops @ Legacy, etc for young & fun professionals would just stop doing that!!
Legacy, Isn't that where all the devoiced people go?

Anyhow, Uptown is a better fit for sure.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:11 AM

8 posts, read 9,662 times
Thanks I'm somewhat familiar with Uptown. I'll check out The Village tomorrow

Old 12-28-2013, 06:17 AM

551 posts, read 1,099,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Definitely Uptown!

This^^^

I cringe every time I see people recommend those areas.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:55 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,763,091 times
The Village has a pretty active Country Club and amenities. I often see "teams" in the field by the country club playing football, frisbee etc.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:11 AM

574 posts, read 1,478,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
The Village has a pretty active Country Club and amenities. I often see "teams" in the field by the country club playing football, frisbee etc.
Yes The Village has a very active social community life. And the location is right near Greenville Ave, which would put the OP close to all the bars near SMU Blvd, and restaurants/bars a little ways down on Lower Greenville.

For his age I think the Village would be a better fit. Uptown seems more full of late 20's/early 30's folks. Either area will be SO MUCH BETTER than Las Colinas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas