Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 09:29 PM

35 posts, read 218,500 times

Advertisements

For Plano is west of 75 better as far as safety and schools? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 09:32 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Oh, Lord. You're new here, aren't you?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:14 PM

Yay, sorry! I've been reading for several days on posts, but I have not seen anything come up (I don't like asking the same thing that was just posted!) The expensive homes (out of my price range) are on the west so I was guessing 75 (instead of 121 or the tollway) was the divider.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:29 PM

787 posts, read 1,223,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kids2dogs View Post
For Plano is west of 75 better as far as safety and schools? Thank you!
I will provide a recap for you. The general consensus is the further West you go in Plano, the more desirable it is. The most affluent zip code in all of Plano is 75093, which is considered "west Plano." When folks refer to "west Plano," this zip code is generally what they're referring to. However, there are still disagreements on where true West Plano actually starts (Preston, Ohio or Coit Westward), but again 75093 is the general rule.

75024 is Northwest Plano, which includes the popular Legacy Business Park corridor, home to numerous corporate national & regional headquarters. The mixed-use Shops at Legacy development, along with numerous subdivisions and apartments are also located in this zip code.

75025 is North Central Plano. This is the 3rd most affluent zip code in the city and includes primarily single-family subdivisions. Popular subdivisions include Estates of Russell Creek, Knolls at Russell Creek, Highlands of Russell Creek, Independence Hill, Spring Ridge, Estates of Oakwood Glen, etc.

75075 is "South Central" Plano and feeds to Plano Sr. The older Collin Creek Mall immediately west of 75 is in this zip code. A lot of the homes are older, but there are a couple pockets of new development and many of the subdivisions are still well-maintained.

75023 is a little more working class in some areas off of Alma. It's still west of 75, but more North of Parker Rd. There are some nice older subdivisions in this zip code like Forest Creek Estates, mainly 80's custom homes, Hunters Glen, etc.

75074 is the Plano zip code EAST of 75. This is what most folks on the board will refer to as the most undesirable area of Plano, but it's still fine by "most" standards. It's definitely lower income than west Plano and north Plano and has older homes, but there are some nice areas like Los Rios and a few new developments. This is also the side of 75 Plano's original downtown is on, which has experienced a little gentrification.

Plano East Sr. HS houses the IB program if that's of interest to you, but with that exception, their test scores are lower than Plano Sr. & Plano West. Overall, Plano was rated the most affluent city with over 250K people and one of the safest cities, so if that's the zip code in your price range, I think you'll be fine. Just make sure to research and visit the individual schools you'll be zoned to to ensure you're comfortable with them.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:34 PM

Thanks, this is so helpful, you're wonderful! I'm going to print a copy.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:42 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
I will provide a recap for you. The general consensus is the further West you go in Plano, the more desirable it is. The most affluent zip code in all of Plano is 75093, which is considered "west Plano." When folks refer to "west Plano," this zip code is generally what they're referring to. However, there are still disagreements on where true West Plano actually starts (Preston, Ohio or Coit Westward), but again 75093 is the general rule.

75024 is Northwest Plano, which includes the popular Legacy Business Park corridor, home to numerous corporate national & regional headquarters. The mixed-use Shops at Legacy development, along with numerous subdivisions and apartments are also located in this zip code.

75025 is North Central Plano. This is the 3rd most affluent zip code in the city and includes primarily single-family subdivisions. Popular subdivisions include Estates of Russell Creek, Knolls at Russell Creek, Highlands of Russell Creek, Independence Hill, Spring Ridge, Estates of Oakwood Glen, etc.

75075 is "South Central" Plano and feeds to Plano Sr. The older Collin Creek Mall immediately west of 75 is in this zip code. A lot of the homes are older, but there are a couple pockets of new development and many of the subdivisions are still well-maintained.

75023 is a little more working class in some areas off of Alma. It's still west of 75, but more North of Parker Rd. There are some nice older subdivisions in this zip code like Forest Creek Estates, mainly 80's custom homes, Hunters Glen, etc.

75074 is the Plano zip code EAST of 75. This is what most folks on the board will refer to as the most undesirable area of Plano, but it's still fine by "most" standards. It's definitely lower income than west Plano and north Plano and has older homes, but there are some nice areas like Los Rios and a few new developments. This is also the side of 75 Plano's original downtown is on, which has experienced a little gentrification.

Plano East Sr. HS houses the IB program if that's of interest to you, but with that exception, their test scores are lower than Plano Sr. & Plano West. Overall, Plano was rated the most affluent city with over 250K people and one of the safest cities, so if that's the zip code in your price range, I think you'll be fine. Just make sure to research and visit the individual schools you'll be zoned to to ensure you're comfortable with them.

I'm a life long DFW-er leaving only for a spell or two. I get a belly laugh when people say or imply that East Plano is rough or undesirable. If only the bad schools in DFW-esp DISD were as successful as Plano East.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 15,382 times
All Plano is fine, it's just that West Plano has better location for commute with access to Dallas and to all tollways, has more expensive homes and their highschool is always in top few highest performers. However, north, central and east Plano are very safe, family friendly areas with schools that are far ahead of most DFW schools including Frisco, a Mckinney, Allen, Prosper etc, it's just that homes aren't that expensive so demographics are a bit diffrent. Half of the people don't obviously never been to Far East Plano or North Plano, just areas around 75.

East Plano has IB Academy, which is top open addmission (any one from any PiSD school with any level of competence) college prepatory in DFW. If you can survive there then you can handle whatever course load any elite college can throw at you.

Last edited by SerenitySMU; 01-22-2014 at 10:10 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 10,263 times
West Plano is more upscale so yeah if you can afford it then buy here. If not then go with a North, Central or East Plano without any worry. You can't go wrong in Plano.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:36 AM

787 posts, read 1,223,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kids2dogs View Post
Thanks, this is so helpful, you're wonderful! I'm going to print a copy.
You're welcome! Let me know if you have any other questions & I will gladly answer any I know.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:21 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
Aw, you took all the fun out of the thread.

That's a good summary of the housing stock in each ZIP in Plano.

That illustrates that the price point in each ZIP is largely a function of the type, quality, and age of housing available. Comparing apples to apples, there's very little "location premium" difference from ZIP to ZIP. 75093 houses cost more, but mostly because they're newer, larger, and have higher-end finish-outs.

If you were to take a 75075 home selling for $200K and transplant it to 75093, its value would be.... $200K. (Maybe $225K - but it's nothing like an HP premium.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas