Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:25 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Super obnoxious. I - and everyone else I know- managed to grow up in a city neighborhood and not get run over by paying attention to my surroundings and using common sense (ie, don't play hopscotch in the middle of the freaking street), but apparently this is what today's parents insist on to protect their babies.

Slow, Kids At Play Yellow Green Slowman with Safety Flag, KIDSATPLAYSLOWMAN, Orange Traffic Cones
Woow! Super obnoxious!!! Somebody actually designed them.. Unreal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 07:40 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,823 times
I have a neighbor with a "Back Off, Baby on Board" bumper sticker on her Mercedes station wagon.

I swear, if you need a bumper sticker warning people away from your car, it might just be you who has the driving problem.

Last edited by Adamson865; 02-23-2014 at 08:26 AM..

Old 02-23-2014, 08:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
I have a neighbor with a "Back Off, Baby on Board" bumper sticker on her Mercedes station wagon.

I swear, if you need a bumper sticker warning people away from your car, it might just be you who has the driving problem.
Oh wow...that is really obnoxious! I haven't seen one of those yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

I did post a question about the 'slow child at play' sign in the Parenting forum.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:39 AM

23 posts, read 34,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSilver039 View Post
I noticed that many posters here don't like a natural or chronologically diverse community. They prefer 50-60 kids on every street with 24 homes.

My take is that its a good thing as people who are single, childless, have toddlers, do private schooling, are empty nesters or retired are a great asset for any school district as they provide free income to the district.

Children get free resources in school and witness natural aging process. When these oeople move to senior living then young families take over those homes. In return older homeowners get good resale and nice neighborhoods so it's not a loss for them either. What say you?
Only 65+ seniors get tax exemption, single, couples, empty nesters, and everyone else under 65 pays regular rate of school district tax. Its great to have them in your district. Most seniors downsize and move to senior living or assisted living after 70.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:14 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times
Actually living abroad in the master planned communities..there was mix of age groups..which was nice..but most of the communities had hurdles in various spots in the community..and since most of them were gated, there would be a lot at the entry gates. I guess you could say it was for "kids"..but it really was to deter the people who were above the speed limit in the neighborhoods.

Actually I quite preferred it....its not only kids in the neighborhoods..but also the doggies that get out, people who are walking...etc etc. And it wasn't EVERYWHERE..just in the high traffic areas.

The other option is speed bumps I guess. But with the alley garages, I feel like I have to drive slow because everyone parks in front of the house any you barely have enough room to get thru anyway.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:19 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
I'd rather have a dayglo plastic kid than a speed bump any day. You can move the dayglo plastic kid when you are done with it. The speedbump is forever.

I prefer neighbors with kids, but I still consider empty nesters to be assets to a neighborhood.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:27 PM

Quick update: The police in Richardson informed me that it was, in fact, illegal to place the 'child at play' sign in the middle of the road. The officer who responded to my call was wrong and he has been spoken to about it. He wasn't rude or uncivil, just wrong.

Just wanted to let everyone know...and if you're considering putting one of these in the middle of your street, you should probably check with the police first. Or (even better), supervise your kids!

Old 02-23-2014, 03:55 PM

72 posts, read 123,712 times
You called police for this? Your neighbor must be ****ed. Why can't people supervise their children? I'm glad that most kids on my street either play in neighborhood park or in their own/friend's backyard.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheerBeer View Post
You called police for this?
I called the local precinct, not 911. And yes, I did. When I spoke to a desk sergeant this morning she said I was absolutely correct to call them about what she described as a "hazardous obstacle" in the road.

Had it been a cardboard box or something, I would have moved it out of the road myself. But in this instance, the parents would repeatedly put the sign in the middle of the street unless someone called them out on it. And the kind of people who would put a sign like that in the middle of the street usually won't listen to a neighbor telling them it's illegal. They usually will listen to a cop. It's not like I was frothing at the mouth demanding that they be cited or anything. I just wanted a cop to tell them it's illegal, which it is, so they won't keep doing it.

I stand by my actions.

If you want to discuss it further please find my thread about it in the Parenting forum.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:04 PM

72 posts, read 123,712 times
Makes sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas