Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:40 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Sprouts is a chain of healthy-ish food stores out of Phoenix. They're in most of the Western states as well as Georgia and Kansas. They're a not-as-upscale and cheaper alternative to Whole Foods.
They're cheaper-ish. It's a good idea to check the sales flyers on both stores. For a lot of pantry goods, Whole Foods can be cheaper than Sprouts. It's definitely worth comparison-shopping. Kroger is sometimes cheaper than both of them. My local Kroger has a decent-sized section of 'natural' foods like the types they sell at Whole Foods and Sprouts and on SOME items, the pricing is very competitive.

As for fruit...I NEVER buy it at Sprouts anymore unless I'm going to bake with it. It goes moldy almost instantly, and I've never found a good apple there. Ever.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Geographically, South Dallas is a very small area. Many years ago, before I-30 was built, many if not most people said Fair Park was in East Dallas. South Dallas had a very affluent section called South Boulevard and Park Row, much like Gaston, Live Oak and Swiss Avenue in East Dallas. This started to change in the 1940s and by the mid 1950s Forest Avenue High School was shut down and reopened a year later as a "colored school", renamed Madison High School. In the last few years the area has seen quite an exodus - some people call it "depopulation". Lincoln High is just over 1/3 of its previous size, down to 524 students and Madison has 455.

With DART and other infrastructure plus its proximity to downtown and the fact that East Dallas is getting expensive, I see South Dallas redeveloping in the next 20 years. Could South Blvd and Park Row become like Swiss Avenue in the 70s with "urban pioneers" coming in? It's possible. It's also possible that urban apartments will be built like in the Cedars and Southside neighborhoods to the West. Adjacent Deep Ellum/Expo Park are also experiencing a rebirth.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:24 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Geographically, South Dallas is a very small area. Many years ago, before I-30 was built, many if not most people said Fair Park was in East Dallas. South Dallas had a very affluent section called South Boulevard and Park Row, much like Gaston, Live Oak and Swiss Avenue in East Dallas. This started to change in the 1940s and by the mid 1950s Forest Avenue High School was shut down and reopened a year later as a "colored school", renamed Madison High School. In the last few years the area has seen quite an exodus - some people call it "depopulation". Lincoln High is just over 1/3 of its previous size, down to 524 students and Madison has 455.

With DART and other infrastructure plus its proximity to downtown and the fact that East Dallas is getting expensive, I see South Dallas redeveloping in the next 20 years. Could South Blvd and Park Row become like Swiss Avenue in the 70s with "urban pioneers" coming in? It's possible. It's also possible that urban apartments will be built like in the Cedars and Southside neighborhoods to the West. Adjacent Deep Ellum/Expo Park are also experiencing a rebirth.
It is possible that it could redevelop, but quite frankly, I think it will take a "game-changer." On the westside you see Romano and his bunch setting up eateries, etc. Could the same thing happen to South Dallas- maybe, maybe not. What could be a game changer is a new stadium. If Jerry World would have been built in South Dallas I guarantee that South Dallas would look drastically different. There is a ton of cheap land that developers would have bought up.

In the next 10 years the Rangers will be looking for a new home. If, and it is a huge if, South Dallas could land the Rangers it would change the neighborhood quickly.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:21 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post

In the next 10 years the Rangers will be looking for a new home. If, and it is a huge if, South Dallas could land the Rangers it would change the neighborhood quickly.
Huh?!? The Ballpark is a gorgeous stadium, and it's only 20 years old!

Old 04-03-2014, 06:56 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
As for fruit...I NEVER buy it at Sprouts anymore unless I'm going to bake with it. It goes moldy almost instantly, and I've never found a good apple there. Ever.
I totally agree with you about their produce. But the larger point I was trying to make is that, even though the southern sector has been something of a food desert, there is an audience south of the Trinity for something beyond what can be had at a Sonic drive-thru and Sprouts, Cox Farms and another store called Ann's are tapping into that -- and it's Whole Foods' loss. (Though it's not as mystifying as to why a Texas company like Whole Foods has avoided an entire city -- Fort Worth -- for so many years until finally deciding to build one that opens next year.)

Old 04-03-2014, 07:41 AM

13 posts, read 30,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Sprouts is a couple notches below Whole Foods in my experience, and is there a nice part of Cedar Hill outside the escarpment neighborhoods?
Yes, plenty.
Explore the Community and Visiting drop down menus.
Cedar Hill, TX - Official Website
Cedar Hill Economic Development Corporation - Explore the Area!

Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Huh?!? The Ballpark is a gorgeous stadium, and it's only 20 years old!
Both the rangers lease and sponsorship(Globe Life) end at the ballpark in 2024, so there are rumors swirling they will be willing to move. One of the many reasons is due to the extremely hot summers and a lack of roofing at the stadium.

BUT with the new AT&T Cowboys Stadium and all the events hosted there.....it will probably be around for some time.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:09 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
I totally agree with you about their produce. But the larger point I was trying to make is that, even though the southern sector has been something of a food desert, there is an audience south of the Trinity for something beyond what can be had at a Sonic drive-thru and Sprouts, Cox Farms and another store called Ann's are tapping into that -- and it's Whole Foods' loss. (Though it's not as mystifying as to why a Texas company like Whole Foods has avoided an entire city -- Fort Worth -- for so many years until finally deciding to build one that opens next year.)
I agree with all of that. Well said.

I admit I don't really understand why Whole Foods has avoided certain areas...like the whole of Fort Worth. WTH?

Old 04-03-2014, 09:47 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Both the rangers lease and sponsorship(Globe Life) end at the ballpark in 2024, so there are rumors swirling they will be willing to move. One of the many reasons is due to the extremely hot summers and a lack of roofing at the stadium.

BUT with the new AT&T Cowboys Stadium and all the events hosted there.....it will probably be around for some time.
The money is flowing into baseball right now on unprecedented levels. I find it highly unlikely that the Rangers are at the current location more than 10 years from now. Moreover, I won't be surprised if they are gone in 5 years. I believe that Texas is the only American League team (and maybe only team in MLB) that plays in 100 degree weather in the summer without a roof. The Ballpark is pretty in April and May, but absolutely sux in July and August.

Further, based on the studies that have been published, it is not economically feasible to just put a roof on the current stadium. You are better off blowing it up and building a new one with a roof. Now where will that be built? Arlington will be the front runner. That city supports the Rangers and its local government will help fund a new stadium. Frisco could be a player, but over 50% of the Rangers' fans reside in Tarrant County. Dallas will only be a player if the mayor gets behind it AND the South Dallas politicians.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:10 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times
I highly doubt they break their lease agreement, but that's just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas