Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 01:52 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,633 times

Advertisements

As a native Texan, born in Dallas but living out of state, I'm excited to see all the growth happening in the area. There is plenty of space if the state can maintain the infrastructue..
Regarding a previous post saying that Denton may become the next Frisco?
Not gonna happen! There's too much character in Denton for it to become another suburb in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 02:09 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Downtown and the 'inner city' will continue its rise - DART's hub and spoke (Downtown is the hub) will encourage more and more redevelopment. If the Trinty turns out, it will kick even that into overdrive. I imagine the old river 'meanders' outside the levee and current industrial area will be a hot spot.

I think Fair Park will become a prime location and finally be recognized and utilized as the gem it is...

Old 12-10-2007, 02:29 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,171 times
It very much depends on energy prices and the Dollar.

I wouldn't bet on continued expansion. DFW's strength when it comes to home construction, the available land, is also its weakness. If gas goes up to $8 (and don't say that won't happen. When I moved here in 1998, gas could be found for <$1/gal regular. Now its approx. $3), the expansion will come to a screeching halt.
Add to this all the credit troubles and it is easy to become pessimistic.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:53 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
I think the suburbs growth may start to slow some, but the areas inside Loop 12 will really start to take off and become more dense.......who would have thought 15 years ago that the Uptown/Victory area would be as HOT a commodity as it has become.
IMO the next boom will take place around the Cedars area, Fair Park, and the area around the "inland port" in South Dallas.
I think the next the next suburban "Boom Towns" will be Red Oak, Seagoville, Wilmer-Hutchins and dont be surprised if Terrell becomes another Frisco!

Old 12-10-2007, 06:22 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
You can find a lot of information on the DFW area, including future population estimates, right here...

Welcome to NCTCOG.org

Here's the 2030 demographic/population forecast...

Research & Information Services - NCTCOG.org
Good sites, 940. Good info, too.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:01 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I also think Fort Worth Avenue will continue to redevelop like the ultra-cool Hotel Belmont. North Oak Cliff is so beautiful and Bishop Arts is great so I can see that even Jefferson Blvd has great potential for a come-back. The Texas Theater is a jump-start.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:43 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,346 times
Speaking of Terrell, Forney is fast growing towards it as well as towards Dallas. My husband's ex and the kids live in Forney and they are sad to see it fast becoming NOT a small town anymore.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:01 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
The Amoeba will continue North. Fully engulfing the Red River area into Oklahoma. Lake Texoma will become mythic town lake that the sewer ditch Trinity River never was nor will be. The South side will fully self-actualize as Post Industrial Waste Lands, like the the South Side of Chicago, or East Saint Louis.

Not saying that is the way things should be, just saying that is the direction the tree is falling.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:28 PM

307 posts, read 1,181,504 times
How is all this population growth and sprawl a good thing? That's an honest question.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:00 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
How is all this population growth and sprawl a good thing? That's an honest question.
I've never understood that either. I mean, if it were controlled growth and not a mad dash to widen the tax base and line the cities coffers, I definitely see where some reasonable progress can be a good thing. But God almighty, this uncontrolled growth in recent years is overwhelming! What's going to make these cities around here distinctive and unique anymore? And with such explosive growth in such a short amount of time what's going to happen when the economy takes a downtown for an extended period? Hopefully, there won't be urban decay and blight like with some of the northeastern cities. I shudder to think that could happen here. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic. I hope so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas