Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:18 AM

136 posts, read 726,584 times

Advertisements

I was looking at the 2008 demographics of Dallas and I can't help but notice that the hispanic population has massively increased, while the white and black population have gone substantially down in the same period. There is now 1.5 hispanics living in Dallas for every white person, up from about 1 in less than a decade. DISD figures show that only 5% of students are white vs 64.2% hispanic. Illegal immigrants are notoriously hard to count and based on being 64.2% of the public schools, It's quite possible that hispanics are >50% of the city of Dallas population.

Much of this increase is from illegal immigrants who have "anchor babies" that are able to obtain US citizenship through what is basically a loophole in immigration law. Some 70% of the babies delivered at Parkland Memorial fall into this category. I don't think it's fair for Dallas tax payers to have to bankroll the healthcare, education and entitelement programs of Mexican citizens living here illegally and their children.

This is a radical change in a major cities demographics in less than a decade, and I have to wonder what the endgame is here - what will Dallas look like in the future and is that a city you would want to live in or raise a family in?

Last edited by mikejj2004; 09-21-2010 at 12:26 AM..

Old 09-21-2010, 02:29 AM

990 posts, read 2,304,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post
I was looking at the 2008 demographics of Dallas and I can't help but notice that the hispanic population has massively increased, while the white and black population have gone substantially down in the same period. There is now 1.5 hispanics living in Dallas for every white person, up from about 1 in less than a decade. DISD figures show that only 5% of students are white vs 64.2% hispanic. Illegal immigrants are notoriously hard to count and based on being 64.2% of the public schools, It's quite possible that hispanics are >50% of the city of Dallas population.

Much of this increase is from illegal immigrants who have "anchor babies" that are able to obtain US citizenship through what is basically a loophole in immigration law. Some 70% of the babies delivered at Parkland Memorial fall into this category. I don't think it's fair for Dallas tax payers to have to bankroll the healthcare, education and entitelement programs of Mexican citizens living here illegally and their children.

This is a radical change in a major cities demographics in less than a decade, and I have to wonder what the endgame is here - what will Dallas look like in the future and is that a city you would want to live in or raise a family in?
Then white people need to move to Dallas if this is such a bad thing. There are plenty of incredible neighborhoods and good schools. Some of the highest rated schools in the country. Entire neighborhoods in East Dallas and Lake Highlands are being demolished to make way for newer, more expensive development. Basically, if you don't like the trend, then move to Dallas. There's nothing wrong wih living in Dallas.

You have no proof of the illegal population.

Texas has no state income tax. Illegal immigrants pay sales and property taxes through rent. Despite popular belief, many to most pay federal income taxes. Its better to believe otherwise though, I guess.

If you've been paying any attention, Dallas is at the beginning of a large gentrification movement as mentioned before. Many lower income areas are becoming extinct. Look at the Henderson and Fitzhugh corridor. The older smaller homes and retail fronts are being demolished block by block and replaced with luxury apts, condos, townhomes and McMansions. The Vickery Meadows area was completely demolished and will be home to a large mixed-use medical area. The areas around Parkland and UTSW have seen many of those neighborhoods demolished in favor of new development, especially closer to Oak Lawn. Little Mexico in Uptown is all but gone. That's the real underlying trend. Dallas is becoming a wealthy urban or poor city.

My advice, have some babies and move to Dallas if this trend is so horrible. Personally I like the idea of families that stick together and good, cheap mexican food at gas stations. Definitely the most culture this city has seen in decades.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:37 AM

640 posts, read 1,732,456 times
This may be a very volatile topic. However, Texas has been minority majority since 2005 so you are living the "reality" right now. All of the major cities (Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio) are majority Latino of Mexican descent. I understand some of the arguably not so good implications of that, but I don't understand people who move to Texas and then get alarmed by the numbers of Mexican descendants here. Did they do ANY research? Are they not aware of Texas history? Are they not aware that a minority but a significant portion of Mex-Ams are third and fourth generation? (that is, if they haven't married into the white population already). Or the fact that Texas bends over backwards for Big Business -and their demand for cheap labor? There are plenty of other places in the country to move if being around Latino people bothers you that much.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:50 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,479,809 times
I like the Mexican people here. Couldn't be nicer, the girls are SO pretty, what's the big deal? As an immigrant group, they are quite modest coming here with nothing and largely showing nothing but appreciation for what gains they make here. It's fun practicing my Spanish around here. It's received very well. And what an opportunity to learn all about the ancient societies that bustled here for centuries pre-Columbus.

OP - do you live in Dallas and school your children there?

I haven't been to Mexico City yet, but I'm looking forward to it. (I'm really only hoping for some airfare sale from DFW some I don't have to drive to HOU.) MC is one of the biggest cities in the world - far more developed, ornate, cultured and historic than Dallas. Obviously there is far more poverty is MC - in MX as a whole. But I dare speculate that when I get back I will have hundreds of jaw dropping photos of beauty I will discover in MC that DFW can only dream of.

If Dallas becomes something like MC without the poverty, I think that would be awesome.

Last edited by xS☺B☺s; 09-21-2010 at 10:58 AM..

Old 09-21-2010, 11:21 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
I dislike the tone of the OP, but not the topic. This issue stirs up ambiguity in me. I believe every human being should try to make a better life for her/himself. If that means immigrating to another country, I respect that. What would make one leave behind friends, family and roots and live in semi-shadows in the new country if life was worth living in the home country? Healthcare, education, employment....oh mannn I just want that for everyone. So, the part that can get my attention is the money part. In Texas, the sales tax is equitable. Property tax, however, funds schools. Property owners who rent to undocumented immigrants typically get well above fair market for the (often poor quality) housing they rent out. Boo Hoo if they have high property taxes. Their tenants pay thru their high rent. I am a landlord and I don't love high property taxes. But if it was unprofitable to be a landlord, I wouldn't do it. As a U.S. citizen, I bristle when I read about the "drain" on our healthcare and education of undocumented kids or kids of undocumented parents. As a person, I was deepy concerned when my (yes, U.S. citizen with tax ID) general contractor's kid (no papers, wife no papers) was very ill and at the public hospital. And I am pleased on a personal level that this ("no papers") daughter and all his other kids (born here) are in TAKS programs in DISD. Are his kids taking places that other "none loophole" kids could have??? Maybe. Will his kids take their healthy, educated butts back to Mexico as adults? Unlikely......

So, do I want his kids, who will likely reside in the US to be uneducated, unhealthy......NO

Old 09-21-2010, 12:55 PM

428 posts, read 1,396,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post
I want to give you the benefit of the doubt this is a well intended post.

1. Not all immigrants to Dallas are from Mexico. Being a spanish speaker, Dallas has a big variety of Latins. Furthermore, a lot of us are not illegal.
You'd be surprised to ask some people how long they have here. In many cases, they have been here for generations and still speak spanish.
2.Where do you get your 70% figure? Do they ask this question at Parkland?!
3. Will Dallas look like MC? Maybe, as we become more of a city and less of a town. Economic disparity will be bound to happen. But Dallas population is nothing compared to MC. So it will be a while. BTW, there is a lot of poverty already. You may not see it but its here.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:33 PM

6,823 posts, read 14,039,451 times
This is post that ripe with the misconception that the majority of hispanics in the DFW area are illegal. It simply is not true. There are 3rd and 4th generations of hispanics living in Dallas. Part of the shift is not due to them moving into to Dallas but whites and blacks moving out to the surburbs. I have noticed a increase in middle class hispanics moving to my neighborhood. I welcome them and after having a conversation I find that they move to the burbs for the same exact reasons I moved to them. I would love to live in the city limits of Dallas but it is pretty hard to find a decent place to live that is affordable. Most of Dallas is low income, upper income or neighborhoods full of retirees. I say there is enough in the DFW area to make everyone happy.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:48 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,949 times
I agree with Bostonian. If we ever become a MC that would be great. Mexico City is the most cultured, historic, populated city you can find in the americas. Sure it has it's share of pollution and poverty just like any other city but it is contrasted by a higher GDP than any city in Texas, a large number of wealthy people, and very wealthy neighborhoods. I also read somewhere that it has more museums than any other city in the world.

Anyways, I dont think a city's demographics make a city great or not. For example, California continues to increase it's hispanic population and they currently have many problems (not necessarly because of hispanics). All major cities in Texas on the other hand have also had their hispanic population increase year after year and the cities are some of the most dynamic and economically strong at this point. So it really comes down to politics and citizen's can do attitude.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:06 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Will Dallas become more like Mexico City? Frankly (minus the poverty), I hope so. It would help kill the lingering pretentiousness in this city. Plus Mexico City is an awesome town.

I also agree with the sentiment that someone moving to Dallas expecting it to be anything but majority Hispanic didnt do their homework. Our future involves being between 50 and 60 percent Hispanic. That is perfectly fine with me. Since I moved here from LA, most of my friends are Hispanic. Amazing, warm, and welcoming people they are.

I think what Dallas (and DFW as a whole for that matter) is going through is simply growing pains. It was the same thing LA went through in the late 80's and early 90's. It happens to any city where there is a wild swing in the demographics. People dont know how to react to the change. Dallas and DFW will get used to it.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:16 PM

274 posts, read 762,238 times
Funny this topic is posted..I rarely watch the news because it is usually just bad news...but I was watching last night and they were talking about how in our area (2 hrs north of Dallas). Hispanic population in our schools are something like 40% but in the near future it is predicted to be up to 70%...thought that was really interesting..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas