Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 04:42 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
Wow. You go to Houston and have never ran across anyone who couldn't speak English to you? Really? Oh my! And I am the one delusional? Listen. Do you realize that the banks down there had a hard time keeping deposit and withdrawal slips in English because the Hispanics were swiping them and throwing them away? What was their solution to this problem? Well, at least for now, the slips are printed bilingual reading like this "English / Spanish." Listen, sweety, you are the one who has no idea what you are talking about.
I have already made my argument. Hispanics aren't going to be migrating north if they can migrate south to avoid having to speak English. Anglos aren't going to be migrating south if that means they will have to learn Spanish.
I think the direction of the migration is undeniable. Now, whether this mass migration ever takes place or not is another matter.
Yes, I go to Houston frequently and have never conducted business in Spanish. I'm guessing you don't go there much if that is such a shock to you. Please show me a news story about the bank slip fiasco you mention--I've never heard of Hispanics throwing away English bank slips in Houston or anywhere else. That sounds ridiculous. Bank slips at my bank have been in English and Spanish for as long as I can remember.

You have made your argument and it doesn't hold water. You have no facts to back them up, only strange anecdotes and significant personal prejudices. Your "mass migration" will not take place anytime soon--of that we can be certain.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:50 PM

912 posts, read 1,888,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Nifty, why do you keep pushing this? DFW is becoming more Hispanic than anything else, like the way Los Angeles has. The only way to limit is by doing what Seattle and Bay Area have done. And thats get more creative class White collar jobs and raising up real estate value and prices, which Texas cities will never do at this stage in their existence.

Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, San Antonio, Miami, Chicago, & Austin their fates are sealed. They will become more Hispanic to deny that is just blind judgment. Nifty Atlanta doesn't cater to much Hispanic population its not in a border state, nor a hot Hispanic immigration city.
I am not pushing anything. My reasoning is sound. If anything, Hispanics will always prefer to go south towards their culture while Anglo's will prefer to go north for theirs. Paradoxically, African Americans are migrating east towards the deep south and Atlanta.
So, when a migration happens, that is the directions we will head.
But, I do have an agenda which I expressed in the previous post. Slow down the advancement of Hispanics into our nation and we won't lose English as our nation's official language. Call me crazy, call me arrogant, call me an American, or even call me a racist. I don't care. Just find me a beach close to a bar.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Let me ask you, was there ever a flight of Anglos from south Florida to norther Florida? It would be interesting to know this as Florida is over a thousand miles long in length.
What? Florida isn't 1000 miles long--not even close.

Quote:
It would seem to me Atlanta is more Anglo and African American than Hispanic. Atlanta being a regional city is very similar to Dallas.
Of course it is. It has a much larger African American percentage of population than Dallas or even Houston. What do you mean by "a regional city?" Atlanta is not that similar to Dallas demographically speaking. Reverse the African American and Hispanic percentages of populations and then they would be closer to similar.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
Yes, I go to Houston frequently and have never conducted business in Spanish. I'm guessing you don't go there much if that is such a shock to you. Please show me a news story about the bank slip fiasco you mention--I've never heard of Hispanics throwing away English bank slips in Houston or anywhere else. That sounds ridiculous. Bank slips at my bank have been in English and Spanish for as long as I can remember.

You have made your argument and it doesn't hold water. You have no facts to back them up, only strange anecdotes and significant personal prejudices. Your "mass migration" will not take place anytime soon--of that we can be certain.
I do hope that we all continue living peacefully in the melting pot. I can see some benefits to our new future culture. I mean, how much money does it take to purchase a case of beer, packages of tortillas, beans and rice, and a little fajita? I don't think we will even need to make minimum wage in the future. You know, to be just as good as our wonderful ancestors have lived forever, it only takes a little of nothing. We can just dance and sing all day doing nothing and caring about very little. Like lying on a beach close to a bar. That kind of thing.
Well, I do know the person who went postal about Hispanics throwing away bank slips printed in English. The bank employees were the ones who explained to him the problem with Hispanics throwing away the slips written in English. As they did, he went off even more. Funny, according to him, the employees of the bank seemed very supportive of him the more hostile he became. It's like they were saying "Yes! Now listen up all you ungrateful ba#tards! Once and for all, this is America! We don't deal in Pesos!"

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 09-24-2010 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: tweak

Old 09-24-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
What? Florida isn't 1000 miles long--not even close.

Of course it is. It has a much larger African American percentage of population than Dallas or even Houston. What do you mean by "a regional city?" Atlanta is not that similar to Dallas demographically speaking. Reverse the African American and Hispanic percentages of populations and then they would be closer to similar.
This is why we should never speak hastily. Indeed, Florida from tip to tip is over a thousand miles long. As Texas stretches almost 900 miles, tip to tip, skinny Florida stretches for over a thousand.

Dallas and Atlanta are distribution centers. Dallas is the distribution center for the Southwest just as Atlanta is the distribution center for the Southeast.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
This is why we should never speak hastily. Indeed, Florida from tip to tip is over a thousand miles long. As Texas stretches almost 900 miles, tip to tip, skinny Florida stretches for over a thousand.
I don't know where you're getting your information, but you are wrong on this point as well. Florida is not even close to 1000 miles long. Try 500.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-17-2014 at 05:18 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I don't know where you're getting your information, but you are wrong on this point as well. Florida is not even close to 1000 miles long. Try 500.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Okay. But consider that Tennessee is 440 miles across.
Compare the two states. I think the criteria my nephew was using, as he lives in that state, is the string of Islands that extend off the bottom of Florida. You know, when these Islands are taken into account, Florida is supposed to only be 90 miles from Cuba.

Last edited by Yac; 01-17-2014 at 05:16 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 05:59 PM

216 posts, read 444,536 times
I don't mind if we become more like Mexico city as long as we don't inherit the corruption. We already have the government incompetence that Mexico has, but I'd rather not start having to bribe corrupt cops to stay out of jail.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:14 PM

377 posts, read 1,082,794 times
*gasp*

Old 09-25-2010, 01:35 AM

744 posts, read 1,848,090 times
I hope so. Mexico City is a very cultured and beautiful city of about 8 million residents. Dallas is the heart and soul of the metroplex and is pretty much the metroplex. This will help Dallas really boom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas