Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 01:48 PM

744 posts, read 1,848,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
Look, the idea that Dallas reduces to downtown is contemptible. The true heart and soul of Dallas exists north of there in four existing commercial shopping districts with these being the Preston Center area, the Northpark / Eastpark area, the Galleria / Addison area, and the already huge Stonebriar area. In comparison, the Telecom Corridor is a huge employment center (business district).
Downtown is now in the process of being pushed out of the metroplex even further to the east and south in relationship to these commercial shopping districts. In fact, I can envision it becoming an edge city as there is nothing of consequence to the east and south of it.
Just look at a map.
All of Dallas is Dallas.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:50 PM

912 posts, read 1,888,327 times
Default Your comment took about 2 cents worth of effort

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvalle_mayne View Post
Afraid of a little tanned skin egh?
No. That is your conscience projecting. I never said anything like that. In fact, as I've already point out, my ex is a Mexican National while my two sons are, well, half Hispanic.
So, please, lay down on the couch and share with us why you would make such a statement? I have absolutely no fear of evil. I do have a hatred for people who show contempt for the United States if that answers your question, but I express this hatred by brushing off my boots and walking.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:37 PM

4 posts, read 6,479 times
what dallas and texas need to do to grow economically is to make spanish mandatory in school along with english... a bilingual population will attract a lot of tourism from mexico which means $$$ for our city and state. I think it might also end a lot of racism... I've seen a lot of white people (but not black people surprisingly?) get angry when a mexican can't speak english, even when in 10 years dallas will be a majority spanish speaking city. really if you dont wanna learn spanish you just need to leave texas, because that is the future.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:56 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyyyitsjose View Post
what dallas and texas need to do to grow economically is to make spanish mandatory in school along with english... a bilingual population will attract a lot of tourism from mexico which means $$$ for our city and state. I think it might also end a lot of racism... I've seen a lot of white people (but not black people surprisingly?) get angry when a mexican can't speak english, even when in 10 years dallas will be a majority spanish speaking city. really if you dont wanna learn spanish you just need to leave texas, because that is the future.

I agree with you on education. If we can educate our population a bit more, Texas can try to lure some of the Latin American HQ's that would eventually end up in Miami or other Latin American cities. Add all this to everything Texas already is and you have a very powerful region.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:10 PM

5 posts, read 20,693 times
Honestly, I feel as though a lot of people are just subconsciously racist and don't like seeing the influx of Mexicans. I mean using the tax complaint is a scapegoat, your taxes are gonna have to be paid regardless, and they will be spent on something anyway (mainly military) so who cares how they portion it all out. Hey its a free country if you don't like being around the Mexicans go where they are not and just keep moving because they wont stop coming in, its a fact of life hard for some people to swallow.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:38 PM

912 posts, read 1,888,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyyyitsjose View Post
See? This is why the state needs to step forward and consider designating certain areas as officially Spanish speaking. Listen Bud. I know enough Spanish to know that the meaning of The Declaration of Independence and the The U.S. Constitution won't translate from English. I don't think you appreciate that and you probably never will. That is the reason we need to speak English. Now if you want to learn Spanish, like I said, we all have the right to float our boats however the Supreme Court wishes to interpret the Consitution.
Knock yourself out.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:51 PM

744 posts, read 1,848,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnigaknifedarnell View Post
Honestly, I feel as though a lot of people are just subconsciously racist and don't like seeing the influx of Mexicans. I mean using the tax complaint is a scapegoat, your taxes are gonna have to be paid regardless, and they will be spent on something anyway (mainly military) so who cares how they portion it all out. Hey its a free country if you don't like being around the Mexicans go where they are not and just keep moving because they wont stop coming in, its a fact of life hard for some people to swallow.
I think it is more about the influx of illegal aliens from Mexico. That is what most people hate. It has nothing to do with race or language for most people.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
A lot of recent Mexican and Central American immigrants in DFW are illegal. How many? Impossible to say. But the figure is pretty high, probably higher than most people think. It's also true that a great deal of births at Parkland are to illegal mothers. How many? Impossible to say.

Dallas's Hispanic population has exploded in the last decade and a good deal of that is due to illegal immigration; this has been stated again and again in article after article, news story after news story, published in DFW and across the United States. DFW is far from the only metro area dealing with a large influx of illegal immigrants.

That being said, you can't assume every Hispanic person you see is illegal. As others have stated, most Hispanics in DFW were either born here or are legal immigrants. If you live here long enough you get a feel for who is legal and who isn't based on language skills, behavior, demeanor, and appearance. But that's just a gut feel. You don't know for sure unless you ask them to prove it and even then, they might have fake docs. I try to prevent illegals from working on my property by requesting only English-speaking crews and insisting that everyone be documented. I also ask to see identification and if someone has an accent, I ask to see their green card. I would ask no matter what color they were or what accent they have.

I don't have a problem with Latinos. I DO have a problem with illegal immigrants. I don't want to support them by employing them in any way, shape or form. That means I pay more for contracting services, lawn services, arborists, etc. Is it worth it to me? Sure, I don't want to be part of the problem.

If you don't like Latinos, DFW and Texas in general are probably not good places for you to live. DFW hasn't had as much of a "Latin feel" as some other cities but that has changed a lot. DFW now looks more like San Antonio 20 years ago. San Antonio has been majority Hispanic for as long as I can remember and it's doing fine.
So you are telling me that you do not have an "ACCENT"...... LOL!!!!

Old 09-26-2010, 01:38 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
I think it is more about the influx of illegal aliens from Mexico. That is what most people hate. It has nothing to do with race or language for most people.
This. I can't stand the disrespect that illegal aliens have for our country and how they are demanding rights, free educations, free healthcare, etc. It's BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brihd2005 View Post
So you are telling me that you do not have an "ACCENT"...... LOL!!!!
Give me a break.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 5,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This. I can't stand the disrespect that illegal aliens have for our country and how they are demanding rights, free educations, free healthcare, etc. It's BS.

Give me a break.
Per Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary, an "accent" is defined as

A characteristic pronunciation, especially:
a. One determined by the regional or social background of the speaker.
b. One determined by the phonetic habits of the speaker's native language carried over to his or her use of ano
ther language.

Don't tell me again that you do not have an accent. Everybody has an accent.... LOL!!!!

You may also check Houston's forum... They've got a thread for "Houston's accent"
//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...t-dialect.html

Take it easy

Last edited by brihd2005; 09-26-2010 at 09:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas