Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 10:36 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times

Advertisements

^^^I just mentioned Santiago/Valparasio more in terms of layout and refinement. I did say that DFW has no where near the physical beauty. But thing about it. In both you have the major city (Dallas and Santiago) the business centers that are more refined, more nightlife centric, etc. And the smaller cities (Fort Worth and Valparasio) which are the cultural centers.

Overall Monterrey doesnt really remind me of Dallas (though I do like Monterrey very much). Bogota might actually be the best comparrison. Perhaps Belo Horizonte might be a good match too. Sao Paulo is way out of DFW's leauge on every level.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:40 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,123,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Yeah, but given Dallas' sunbelt nature, I dont know that it will get there. However Dallas easily has the best rail system in the South (assuming you dont count DC as the south). For this area of the country, its great.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:15 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,740,726 times
Not to get off point but I would say Bogota is more like Mexico City than Dallas in most aspects.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Not to get off point but I would say Bogota is more like Mexico City than Dallas in most aspects.
Of course it is. I think we were just trying to do a paralel between Dallas and a Latin American City. Of course, Mexico City is more like Bogota.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:02 PM

912 posts, read 1,888,584 times
Quote:
^^^I just mentioned Santiago/Valparasio more in terms of layout and refinement. I did say that DFW has no where near the physical beauty. But thing about it. In both you have the major city (Dallas and Santiago) the business centers that are more refined, more nightlife centric, etc. And the smaller cities (Fort Worth and Valparasio) which are the cultural centers.

Overall Monterrey doesnt really remind me of Dallas (though I do like Monterrey very much). Bogota might actually be the best comparrison. Perhaps Belo Horizonte might be a good match too. Sao Paulo is way out of DFW's leauge on every level.
I don't like using the word liberal, so I won't. However, this is all a bunch of fiction dreamed up by a classic Santa Anna boot licker. Contrary to what is being claimed, there aren't many cities in the United States much less Latin America in the same league as Dallas - Fort Worth. According to what I read, the economy of the Dallas - Fort Worth area rivals the whole nation of Mexico, not Mexico City. What that means to me is this: Though Mexico City does have a lot of interesting old things to look at, it doesn't have a lot of people who can afford to appreciate them.
Meanwhile, the Dallas - Fort Worth area sits as an important center of this nation's defense industry supplying a military which, according to the Monroe doctine, is responsible for protecting the Western Hemisphere.
As we all know from the Hispanics we associate with, Mexico is all about who has the biggest family. If your family isn't big enough, well, you better hump out some more kids.
That is poison for this great nation and the primary reason we need to close our border to Mexico.
I can understand why this individual tends to like ancient cities because he probably migrated from one. But surely this is all talk.
You know, customarily speaking, Mexicans will sell you the product to eat, but later on they won't allow you to visit their restroom to relieve yourself of it.
They are destroying our quality of customer service because these people will never understand that the best family members are the customer.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:15 PM

^^^I would wager you know virtually nothing about Chile. It is as developed as the United States. Its more comparable to Spain and Germany than Mexico.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:03 PM

Seriously Chile and Argentina are much more developed. Oh, and Mr. Nifty you are seriously off base when you are lumping all hispanics in with the Mexicans.

http://www.ladygardens.net/storage/buenos_aires03.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1243 881190062 (broken link)

Buenos Aires

Santiago

Old 10-01-2010, 04:09 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,773,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
I don't like using the word liberal, so I won't. However, this is all a bunch of fiction dreamed up by a classic Santa Anna boot licker. Contrary to what is being claimed, there aren't many cities in the United States much less Latin America in the same league as Dallas - Fort Worth. According to what I read, the economy of the Dallas - Fort Worth area rivals the whole nation of Mexico, not Mexico City. What that means to me is this: Though Mexico City does have a lot of interesting old things to look at, it doesn't have a lot of people who can afford to appreciate them.
Meanwhile, the Dallas - Fort Worth area sits as an important center of this nation's defense industry supplying a military which, according to the Monroe doctine, is responsible for protecting the Western Hemisphere.
As we all know from the Hispanics we associate with, Mexico is all about who has the biggest family. If your family isn't big enough, well, you better hump out some more kids.
That is poison for this great nation and the primary reason we need to close our border to Mexico.

I can understand why this individual tends to like ancient cities because he probably migrated from one. But surely this is all talk.
You know, customarily speaking, Mexicans will sell you the product to eat, but later on they won't allow you to visit their restroom to relieve yourself of it.
They are destroying our quality of customer service because these people will never understand that the best family members are the customer.
Economic stats can be endlessly manipulated, but even so you have been reading rubbish. Mexico City's GDP is around 400 billion U.S.$, making it the eighth richest city in the world, DFW's GDP is around 300 billion U.S $. Mexico's GDP is around 1.09 trillion U.S $. When I last checked 400 is bigger than 300, and 1.09 trillion is considerably more than 300 billion, but I suspect facts are irrelevant to your racist diatribe. Depending on currency exchange rates inter alia these numbers change all the time, but never so much that claim can plausibly be made that the economy of DFW is bigger than the economy of Mexico City or the howler of an error that the size of the economy of DFW is remotely close to the size of the economy of the country of Mexico.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:11 PM

^^^Im going to Santiago in January. Sooooo excited!

Old 10-01-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
^^^Im going to Santiago in January. Sooooo excited!
Really? Make sure you cross the Andes as well, Mendoza is pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas