Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 01:52 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,740,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
There has been no logic in this thread. If you are trying to convince me that some ancient civilizations in Latin America even come close to comparing with Dallas - Fort Worth, then you are wasting your time.
If you are talking about historical revelance then yes, several Latin American cities (along with many US cities I might add) beat DFW. Mexico City was inhabited for several centuries while Dallas was not even a town yet. Buenos Aires in the 1900's was one of the world's most richest cities with close to a million people, while Dallas only had 42,638 people back then.

Anyway's you have demonstrated your ignorance and lack of knowledge on Latin America and Asia. By you're same "logic" I could say that everyone in Texas is a cowboy or a roughneck, yet we both know that isn't true isn't it.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:09 AM

912 posts, read 1,888,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
If you are talking about historical revelance then yes, several Latin American cities (along with many US cities I might add) beat DFW. Mexico City was inhabited for several centuries while Dallas was not even a town yet. Buenos Aires in the 1900's was one of the world's most richest cities with close to a million people, while Dallas only had 42,638 people back then.

Anyway's you have demonstrated your ignorance and lack of knowledge on Latin America and Asia. By you're same "logic" I could say that everyone in Texas is a cowboy or a roughneck, yet we both know that isn't true isn't it.
I can appreciate the sentiments you have for your homeland. If I were born at the north pole, I would probably be arguing that living in an igloo is better than living in Dallas - Fort Worth. Speaking of igloos, isn't it significant that they are built using an arch? Figure that these Native American Eskimos and Innuits have been building those thing for thousands of years even before the Romans started building arches. And snow makes an excellent insulator as well as an excellent radiant barrier. Also, with just a little skill, snow can be made into water. Figure that just one blue whale alone could feed a whole village for about a hundred years while its carcass could be stored for just a little of nothing in a nearby glacier.
And figure that Native American Innuits have a lot of art made out of the bones of dead seals. They probably paint and draw lots of white pictures on seal skins portraying a lot of scenes of snow and ice using colors made from seal innards.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:39 AM

184 posts, read 551,913 times
Quote:
To further expound on what this gentleman is stating, there has existed two civilizations in history. While Eastern Civilization, the one that formed in ancient China, has sat idle wallowing in its traditions, Western Civilization, the one that formed much quicker in Greece, has advanced to circle the earth to knock on the door of every nation. If that nation answered the call, then it became blessed. However, if it rejected the offer, then that nation became a shambles.
In other words, the self evident and unalienable truths declared by our Founding Fathers will never be found in China, in India, in Argentina, or in Chile. No, they reduce to ancient Greece.
I have been trying to ignore this person's ignorant ramblings for a while now but I can't bite my tongue any longer.

You are an extremly uninformed individual with a very warped view of history, culture, society, and pretty much everything else. There is no way you are educated beyond the high school level and the University of Fox News.

To begin with, Greece is not the origin of all our culture and our modern society. Ever heard of Mesopotamia? Where and when do you think writing originated? I'll give you a hint: It was long before Rome or Greece ever existed.

Furthermore, while Europe was stuck in the Dark Ages of innovative stagnation it was the Islamic culture that invented windmills, tidal mills, trigonometry, and laten sails; it made major advances in metallurgy, mechanical and chemical engineering, and irrigation methods; and it adopted paper and gun powder from China and transmitted them to Europe. Not to mention it was the societies of the Middle East that domesticated the animals and plants that allowed Europe to flourish in the first place.

Or do you think all of our modern day domesticated animals, plants, and vegetables were magically placed on a farm in Europe by Adam and Eve?

As for China...where to begin? Until the 16th Century the Chinese were far more advanced than the Europeans and gave us many important technologies that are still in use today.

The long list of Chinese inventions includes canal lock gates, cast iron, deep drilling, efficient animal harnesses, gunpowder, kites, magnetic compasses, movable type, paper, porcelain, printing, sternpost rudders, and wheelbarrows among a many, many others.

It would be a little hard for Europe to sail around the world "knocking on nation's doors" without the many inventions and advances that originated from the Islamic culture and China don't you think? Not to mention Europe didn't knock on any nation's doors. They expanded and inhabited lands already occupied by natives...not nation-states but native people living in loosely formed bands. The only thing close to a "nation" as we know it at the time of European arrival in the New World were the Aztecs of Mexico and Incas of Peru and they were encountered by the Spanish, not the English.

Oh, and the Inuit? They did in fact populate the arctic regions of North America long before the founding of Rome ( and the Roman engineering of the arch)

And for the record, manifiest destiny is not a scientific or historical basis for any kind of argument. It was simply a justification for expansion into territories already occupied by native people and/or Mexico. It had no relation to anything related to Greek culture or any other reference to any part of our civilization. The founding fathers never spoke of manifest destiny, but they did point out how all men are created equal and have inalienable rights...remember those? Or do those rights only extend to white Americans?

If manifest destiny is the best leg you have to stand on then it really highlights your ignorance..along with pretty much everything else that you say. Just so you know the company you are keeping with: Adolf Hitler used a similar justification as manifest destiny for his "taking back" of the Sudetenland. He saw it as Germany's destiny to expand and retrieve areas he deemed part of the Fatherland.

That turned out really well, as we all know.

Last edited by Ambassador; 10-05-2010 at 03:07 AM..

Old 10-05-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
I have been trying to ignore this person's ignorant ramblings for a while now but I can't bite my tongue any longer.

You are an extremly uninformed individual with a very warped view of history, culture, society, and pretty much everything else. There is no way you are educated beyond the high school level and the University of Fox News.

To begin with, Greece is not the origin of all our culture and our modern society. Ever heard of Mesopotamia? Where and when do you think writing originated? I'll give you a hint: It was long before Rome or Greece ever existed.

Furthermore, while Europe was stuck in the Dark Ages of innovative stagnation it was the Islamic culture that invented windmills, tidal mills, trigonometry, and laten sails; it made major advances in metallurgy, mechanical and chemical engineering, and irrigation methods; and it adopted paper and gun powder from China and transmitted them to Europe. Not to mention it was the societies of the Middle East that domesticated the animals and plants that allowed Europe to flourish in the first place.

Or do you think all of our modern day domesticated animals, plants, and vegetables were magically placed on a farm in Europe by Adam and Eve?

As for China...where to begin? Until the 16th Century the Chinese were far more advanced than the Europeans and gave us many important technologies that are still in use today.

The long list of Chinese inventions includes canal lock gates, cast iron, deep drilling, efficient animal harnesses, gunpowder, kites, magnetic compasses, movable type, paper, porcelain, printing, sternpost rudders, and wheelbarrows among a many, many others.

It would be a little hard for Europe to sail around the world "knocking on nation's doors" without the many inventions and advances that originated from the Islamic culture and China don't you think? Not to mention Europe didn't knock on any nation's doors. They expanded and inhabited lands already occupied by natives...not nation-states but native people living in loosely formed bands. The only thing close to a "nation" as we know it at the time of European arrival in the New World were the Aztecs of Mexico and Incas of Peru and they were encountered by the Spanish, not the English.

Oh, and the Inuit? They did in fact populate the arctic regions of North America long before the founding of Rome ( and the Roman engineering of the arch)

And for the record, manifiest destiny is not a scientific or historical basis for any kind of argument. It was simply a justification for expansion into territories already occupied by native people and/or Mexico. It had no relation to anything related to Greek culture or any other reference to any part of our civilization. The founding fathers never spoke of manifest destiny, but they did point out how all men are created equal and have inalienable rights...remember those? Or do those rights only extend to white Americans?

If manifest destiny is the best leg you have to stand on then it really highlights your ignorance..along with pretty much everything else that you say. Just so you know the company you are keeping with: Adolf Hitler used a similar justification as manifest destiny for his "taking back" of the Sudetenland. He saw it as Germany's destiny to expand and retrieve areas he deemed part of the Fatherland.

That turned out really well, as we all know.
Your education is scribbled as it clearly demonstrates that you have insignificant founding fathers while, in comparison, I have very significant Founding Fathers.
In regards to your interpretation of literaray history, one that blames "nihilism" on a single evil protagonist named Adolf Hitler instead of on hundreds of thousands of tyrants, well, it is obvious who is the sophisticate here and who is the philosopher. Read Friedrich Nietzsche. In the meantime, always know that real tyrants are the nicest people in the world (Boo!).
For those who have wisdom: The most evil person to ever live was named Saul, not Adolf Hitler. This is the same person who committed an unforgiveable offense against the Holy Spirit. Jesus didn't ask the emperor or the king why they were persecuting Him. No, He asked this question of Saul.
Isn't it amazing how this ignorant racist here is the one who brought up the incredible fact that the Innuit were building arched domes every time they built an igloo? That's right. Major premise: I have a college education. Minor premise: I don't grow corn. Conclusion: Therefore, I am not a racist.
Chinese dynasties were longlasting because they didn't teach the children of the slaves to learn, but it instead trained the children of the ruling class to take their rightful positions in place of their parents. Read Plato's dialogue "Meno" to understand exactly at what point in history dynasties (tyrannies, thousand years of outer darkness) were overturned. Using inductive reasoning, Socrates clearly showed that the mind of a slave could learn on its own when it was guided by a serving Mid-wife philosopher (teacher).
The whole world is European. All of Europe is Roman. The Romans were Greek. Next.
Islam conquered Greece. Greek culture conquered Islam. Afterwards, the Arabs dug up Aristotle. Europe did not learn about Aristotle until the thirteenth century ACE!
What is a Chinese Essay? Answer: Well, it is something written from top to bottom, from the bottom to the top, from left to right, and from right to left. What was Chinese science and religion? Oops. There was no Chinese science. Refer to the world's first scientist named Aristotle. My Chinese Physics professor marvelled at the Greeks, not vice versa. Who invented physics? Well, it was the Greeks. Enough said.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I can appreciate the sentiments you have for your homeland. If I were born at the north pole, I would probably be arguing that living in an igloo is better than living in Dallas - Fort Worth.
Okay where would you rather live?

Here?

Or Here?

This is where your argument fails.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Okay where would you rather live?

Here?

Or Here?

This is where your argument fails.
As a Texan and an American, I thank God that I lost the war as a southerner. Why? Well, there is no shame in losing to the natural law declared by our Founding Fathers. I would rather suffer as a worthless prostitute under the worst pimp in the United States than have to live any place outside of our nation's borders.
Though I have just a little, I don't have to go any place because what I have as a United States citizen is the greatest.
If you don't like it, then leave.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
As a Texan and an American, I thank God that I lost the war as a southerner. Why? Well, there is no shame in losing to the natural law declared by our Founding Fathers. I would rather suffer as a worthless prostitute under the worst pimp in the United States than have to live any place outside of our nation's borders.
Though I have just a little, I don't have to go any place because what I have as a United States citizen is the greatest.
If you don't like it, then leave.
No, my point is that you are using faulty reasoning/logic (which is more like stereotyping) in saying that no Latin American city surpasses Dallas in world importance which is clearly wrong. When looking at raw data (esp GDP, number of international airlines/flights, number of embassies/consulates/etc). DFW is not even significant compared with Sao Paulo, Mexico City, Buenos Aires or even Houston.

Anyways you have demonstrated your ignorance on Latin America and Asia (and among other subjects) so we have nothing more to discuss.

FYI: I am a US Citizen and I am not going anywhere.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:32 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
No, my point is that you are using faulty reasoning/logic (which is more like stereotyping) in saying that no Latin American city surpasses Dallas in world importance which is clearly wrong. When looking at raw data (esp GDP, number of international airlines/flights, number of embassies/consulates/etc). DFW is not even significant compared with Sao Paulo, Mexico City, Buenos Aires or even Houston.
Houston does not belong with Mexico City, Sao Paulo, or Buenos Aires. Even if Houston is more important than Dallas, the margin is extremely slim. They are more or less equals (along with Miami, Atlanta, and Philadelphia). The only cities that could compare to Mexico City or Sao Paulo are NYC and LA. Consulates and embassies are in no way a good measure of a city. They clump together. Even consulates that would be much better placed in Dallas (like Korea or debatably India) are in Houston.

Nifty, if you think DFW is in any way on the same level as Mexico City or Sao Paulo in importance, you are a moron.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:09 PM

184 posts, read 551,913 times
Quote:
Your education is scribbled as it clearly demonstrates that you have insignificant founding fathers while, in comparison, I have very significant Founding Fathers.
In regards to your interpretation of literaray history, one that blames "nihilism" on a single evil protagonist named Adolf Hitler instead of on hundreds of thousands of tyrants, well, it is obvious who is the sophisticate here and who is the philosopher. Read Friedrich Nietzsche. In the meantime, always know that real tyrants are the nicest people in the world (Boo!).
For those who have wisdom: The most evil person to ever live was named Saul, not Adolf Hitler. This is the same person who committed an unforgiveable offense against the Holy Spirit. Jesus didn't ask the emperor or the king why they were persecuting Him. No, He asked this question of Saul.
Isn't it amazing how this ignorant racist here is the one who brought up the incredible fact that the Innuit were building arched domes every time they built an igloo? That's right. Major premise: I have a college education. Minor premise: I don't grow corn. Conclusion: Therefore, I am not a racist.
Chinese dynasties were longlasting because they didn't teach the children of the slaves to learn, but it instead trained the children of the ruling class to take their rightful positions in place of their parents. Read Plato's dialogue "Meno" to understand exactly at what point in history dynasties (tyrannies, thousand years of outer darkness) were overturned. Using inductive reasoning, Socrates clearly showed that the mind of a slave could learn on its own when it was guided by a serving Mid-wife philosopher (teacher).
The whole world is European. All of Europe is Roman. The Romans were Greek. Next.
Islam conquered Greece. Greek culture conquered Islam. Afterwards, the Arabs dug up Aristotle. Europe did not learn about Aristotle until the thirteenth century ACE!
What is a Chinese Essay? Answer: Well, it is something written from top to bottom, from the bottom to the top, from left to right, and from right to left. What was Chinese science and religion? Oops. There was no Chinese science. Refer to the world's first scientist named Aristotle. My Chinese Physics professor marvelled at the Greeks, not vice versa. Who invented physics? Well, it was the Greeks. Enough said.
I am actually begining to feel sorry for you. This entire post was one long ramble. It wasn't coherant and didn't even pertain to what we are discussing.

Nihilism? Who is talking about Nihilism? I mention Hitler's justification for invading Eastern Europe and you bring up nihilism. Wow.... And what does growing corn HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING WE ARE TALKING ABOUT?? If anything you don't grow corn because we live in a sedentary, food producing society where there are people who specialize in growing food for you...A LEGACY OF OUR ANCESTORS FROM THE FERTILE CRESCENT..the first people to domesticate plants and animals and turn to a sedentary food producing lifestyel rather than a hunter gatherer one. It was that switch that allowed societies and cities to grow.

I bring up Chinese innovation and contribution to modern society and you ramble on about not teaching children of slaves, blah, blah?? WHAT??? The Chinese system has always-and in particular during their height- relied on a system of meritocracy. No, it was EUROPE who taught the ruling and "royal" classes while keeping the peasants ignorant. The notion of meritocracy didn't reach Europe until the 17th Century by way of the teachings of Confucius. Then it took another 200 hundred years for nationalism to spread and topple Europe's ruling Monarchies.

Furthermore, Greek and Latin teachings didn't appear in Europe until the 14th Century. Looks like you are off by 100 years ACE. From that point it took another 200 to 300 years before all of Europe fully accepted ancient Greek and Latin knowledge. Before then it was limited to the areas around Florence and the Italian peninsula. But by that point the Arab and Chinese contributions had already been established in Europe.

Judging by your ramblings you are a sad person who doesn't even know what he is talking about so therefore resorts to name dropping people and things like Aristotle, Plato, nihilism, and so on without bringing any of it together to form an educated view or opinion.

If you think the whole world is European then the whole world must use the Roman alphabet, correct? The whole world must have their language based on Latin ( Not even a true fact within Europe itself) not to mention so many other factors. I regret wasting my time with you to begin with, but ignorance such as yours really can only be put up with for so long.

And I hate to break it to you, but Dallas barely registers as a city of NATIONAL importance within the United States, it certainly isn't a city of World importance. On the world scale Dallas is considered a BETA city, while ahead of it you have Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, and Santiago all ranked as ALPHA cities. Even Mexico City, Caracas, and Bogota are ranked higher than Dallas on the global city rankings. You are really like one of those little yapping dogs who won't stop barking because of his inferiority complex.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:38 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
And I hate to break it to you, but Dallas barely registers as a city of NATIONAL importance within the United States, it certainly isn't a city of World importance. On the world scale Dallas is considered a BETA city, while ahead of it you have Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, and Santiago all ranked as ALPHA cities. Even Mexico City, Caracas, and Bogota are ranked higher than Dallas on the global city rankings. You are really like one of those little yapping dogs who won't stop barking because of his inferiority complex.
I think you are over compensating with this statement. Dallas does not "barely" register as a city of national importance. Dallas is a player on the world stage, but its not nearly as big of a player as Mexico City or Sao Paulo. On an international level, Dallas would be more on par with Kuwait, Montreal, Munich, Lima, Helsinki, Manila, and Saigon for importance. On a domestic level, it is on par with Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Philly, and Boston for importance.

GAWC World Cities - The World's Most Important Cities

I share your frustrations, but you dont have to put Dallas down just to prove a point to Nifty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas