Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 02:53 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,791,422 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, where would bilinguals go? People who speak neither language? Mutes?

Old 10-07-2010, 03:18 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Out of curiosity, where would bilinguals go? People who speak neither language? Mutes?
Mr. Nifty would send the mutes to Abilene, and split the bilinguals between Midland-Odessa and Lubbock, since those cities are closer to New Mexico where buildings incorporate arches in the style of the Inuits. People who speak neither language will go to Wichita Falls, of course, since it's closer to Canada, and some people speak French there.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:39 PM

912 posts, read 1,888,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Great question. Children who learn bilingual don't know what they are doing until they finally start thinking in one language and then translating into the other. That is when they begin to differentiate between the two. A person who speaks neither language could do what they do up in Canada. Decide on French or English and then move to that part of Canada.
You know, speaking of Canada, they are really difficult to offend as a nation. I've tried doing this for years with no effect. It wasn't until I realized that there is absolutely no difference between a tellitubby and a Canadian that I finally got them a little agitated. Take any article about Canadians and substitute in the tellitubbies in their place and its a perfect fit.
Here is an example:

"Canadians" are a childrens television program primarily aimed at pre-school viewers, produced from 1997 to 2001 by Ragdoll Productions. The program first aired on 31 March 1997, was syndicated in the United States on the PBS network on 6 April 1998.[1] In 2001 production was canceled and it was announced that no new episodes would be produced, with the last episode being aired on 5 January 2001. However, a total of 365.
In this show about typical Canadians, there are four basic types of them with the Tinky Winky, who is purple, the Dipsy, who is green, the Laa-Laa, who is yellow, and the Po, who is red. In the show, the four basic and colorful Canadians play in a cheerful and fun Canadianland. They do things that little children like to do, such as rolling on the ground, laughing, running about, and watching real children on the televisions on their bellies. Of course, a lot of comedians like Jim Carrey learned their routines watching the teletubbies. Mysterious pinwheels and telephones rise out of the meadow to show the days' activities. The sun in Canada has a baby's face, makes baby noises during the show, and rises and sets to begin and end the show. The baby was portrayed by Jessica Smith.[5]
The mixture of bright colors, unusual designs, repetitive non-verbal dialogue, ritualistic format, and the occasional forays into physical comedy appealed to a demographic who perceived the program as having psychedelic qualities. Canadians are controversial for this reason, and also for a perception that it was insufficiently educational.[3]
The program was also at the center of a controversy . . ..

And here is another article about the millions of telebubbies who live north of the border of the United States:

Teletubbie land ( /telly tubbee land) is a country in North America, extending from the Atlantic Ocean in the east to the Pacific Ocean in the west and northward into the Arctic Ocean. It is the world's second largest country by total area. Teletubbie land's common border with the United States to the south and northwest is the longest in the world.
The land that is now Teletubbie land was inhabited for millennia by various groups of Aboriginal peoples, with these taking on four basic color groups. Beginning in the late 15th century, British (Laa Laa people) and French (the purple Tinky Winkys) explored, and later settled, along the Atlantic coast. France ceded nearly all of its colonies in North America in 1763 after the Seven Years' War. Actually, the British got really angry with the sissy French always doing everything four times. A lot of pink pies were thrown about the faces until Nuu Nuu the vacuum rolled across the nation's vast interior sucking up the paste. In 1867, with the union of three British North American colonies . . ..

Old 10-07-2010, 04:02 PM

532 posts, read 1,056,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
The word slave is a derogatory term that originated from the word "Slav." As Slavs were seen as lowly people, as they still are perceived today(Slavic women are still being kidnapped and sold into world wide prostitution rings), they aren't lowly people. Not really. As Slavs aren't lowly people, then racists aren't lowly people. They are a myth. See, you are the one asleep. You are the one who doesn't get it.
For an apparent advocate of English-only laws, it certainly doesn't seem that you write responses especially relevant to my typed comments in that language.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
For an apparent advocate of English-only laws, it certainly doesn't seem that you write responses especially relevant to my typed comments in that language.
Exactly. Just because two people speak the same language doesn't mean that they don't need interpreters. Take marriage councilors as an example of this.
Still, if one doesn't even know about the social contract, then how can one even judge standard of living?

Old 10-08-2010, 11:25 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
It doesnt matter.

Facts are fact. Data is data.

The fact is the city of Dallas and the Dallas/Fort Worth Metropolitan area are becoming more Hispanic. Not at a slow pace, this is happening rapidly. The data supports this and there is no end in sight.

As this takes place, the pretentious and conservative character that Dallas (and DFW) has had is dying.

Dallas is being reborn with a new character and a new identity. Part of that new character and identity is going to be heavily Hispanic. If you dont like it, North Dakota awaits.

North Dakota ? Geez, just shoot me now...

Old 10-09-2010, 05:44 AM

247 posts, read 568,241 times
My investing activities take me to ALL parts of the City of Dallas. Literally - ALL parts - the nice and the not so nice ones.

And I can tell you, despite all the isues such as Parkland being overwhelmed, we are better off with the Mexicans here than not.

Why?

- They open businesses in poor parts of town, and create jobs, income and a tax base that everyone benefits from (just look at what has happened to West Oak Cliff, and what is now happening to Pleasant Grove up & down Buckner).
- They are NOT lazy, as compared to some people who previously occupied most of the lower income neighborhoods that they have taken over or are beginning to take over - they will work 7 days a week to take care of their family
- They have better family values than most folks (divorce rates are low, for example), and they tend to be Christian / Roman Catholic as well (very nice)
- Crime has gone down in West Oak Cliff, over the last 10+ years dramatically
- Property values tend to go up dramatically, in the formally poorer / rougher neighborhoods where they open businesses in (e.g. again West Oak Cliff, or even more dramatically places like Kessler Park that are adjacent)
- Plus, this is purely my own opinion, I think Mexican women are BEAUTIFUL (note: I am happily married to a great white woman, but I can still think they are good looking).

So I am glad they are here! If Dallas turns into a giant city full of Mexicans - great. Oh wait, it already is that way! =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post
I was looking at the 2008 demographics of Dallas and I can't help but notice that the hispanic population has massively increased, while the white and black population have gone substantially down in the same period. There is now 1.5 hispanics living in Dallas for every white person, up from about 1 in less than a decade. DISD figures show that only 5% of students are white vs 64.2% hispanic. Illegal immigrants are notoriously hard to count and based on being 64.2% of the public schools, It's quite possible that hispanics are >50% of the city of Dallas population.

Much of this increase is from illegal immigrants who have "anchor babies" that are able to obtain US citizenship through what is basically a loophole in immigration law. Some 70% of the babies delivered at Parkland Memorial fall into this category. I don't think it's fair for Dallas tax payers to have to bankroll the healthcare, education and entitelement programs of Mexican citizens living here illegally and their children.

This is a radical change in a major cities demographics in less than a decade, and I have to wonder what the endgame is here - what will Dallas look like in the future and is that a city you would want to live in or raise a family in?

Old 10-09-2010, 09:03 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas90210 View Post
My investing activities take me to ALL parts of the City of Dallas. Literally - ALL parts - the nice and the not so nice ones.

And I can tell you, despite all the isues such as Parkland being overwhelmed, we are better off with the Mexicans here than not.

Why?

- They open businesses in poor parts of town, and create jobs, income and a tax base that everyone benefits from (just look at what has happened to West Oak Cliff, and what is now happening to Pleasant Grove up & down Buckner).
- They are NOT lazy, as compared to some people who previously occupied most of the lower income neighborhoods that they have taken over or are beginning to take over - they will work 7 days a week to take care of their family
- They have better family values than most folks (divorce rates are low, for example), and they tend to be Christian / Roman Catholic as well (very nice)
- Crime has gone down in West Oak Cliff, over the last 10+ years dramatically
- Property values tend to go up dramatically, in the formally poorer / rougher neighborhoods where they open businesses in (e.g. again West Oak Cliff, or even more dramatically places like Kessler Park that are adjacent)
- Plus, this is purely my own opinion, I think Mexican women are BEAUTIFUL (note: I am happily married to a great white woman, but I can still think they are good looking).

So I am glad they are here! If Dallas turns into a giant city full of Mexicans - great. Oh wait, it already is that way! =)
Excellent post! I agree entirely!

And indeed Dallas is already predominatly Hispanic. Its not a bad thing and it certainly is not changing.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:24 AM

Default A solitary desert locust seems harmless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
North Dakota ? Geez, just shoot me now...
Locust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.google.com/images?q=Image...ed=0CCMQsAQwAAAre Are all grasshopper species members of the locust family? Do they all have the ability to morph? In other words, as some locusts swarm every eighteen years or so, do all grasshoppers contain the DNA within them to morph from the solitary to the gregarious stage?
A solitary Desert locust seems harmless. However, overcrowding will cause them to morph into a gregarious Desert locust.
Here is how Wiki defines a locust:
Locust is the swarming phase of short-horned grasshoppers of the family Acrididae. These are species that can breed rapidly under suitable conditions and subsequently become gregarious and migratory. They form bands as nymphs and swarms as adults—both of which can travel great distances, rapidly stripping fields and greatly damaging crops.
The origin and apparent extinction of certain species of locust—some of which reached 6 inches (15 cm) in length—are unclear.[1]
Locusts are an edible insect and are considered a delicacy in some countries and in history.[2]

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 10-09-2010 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: tweak

Old 10-12-2010, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,975 times
Have you rednecks forgotten that Texas was Mexico before it was America? This country STOLE that land from the Mexicans. Now you are complaining about them? Nothing like a little bigotry to go with your teaparty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas