Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2010, 02:42 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,740,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Houston does not belong with Mexico City, Sao Paulo, or Buenos Aires.
I know, hence why I said "even". For the most part Philadelphia, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas are equivalent to each other.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:36 AM

912 posts, read 1,888,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
No, my point is that you are using faulty reasoning/logic (which is more like stereotyping) in saying that no Latin American city surpasses Dallas in world importance which is clearly wrong. When looking at raw data (esp GDP, number of international airlines/flights, number of embassies/consulates/etc). DFW is not even significant compared with Sao Paulo, Mexico City, Buenos Aires or even Houston.

Anyways you have demonstrated your ignorance on Latin America and Asia (and among other subjects) so we have nothing more to discuss.

FYI: I am a US Citizen and I am not going anywhere.
The Dallas - Fort Worth area has been the leading economy in the United States for the last ten years. As the population of the city of Houston is expected to surpass the city of Chicago eventually, the metropolitan area of Dallas - Fort Worth is expected to surpass the Chicago area sooner than later to become the third largest in the nation. If the population increases as expected, there will be two cities with populations over a million.
As ancient cities go, I am sure those Latin American cities you mentioned are pretty impressive.
How does that saying go again? When the United States catches a cold, Latin America contracts pnuemonia?

Old 10-06-2010, 02:25 AM

184 posts, read 551,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
The Dallas - Fort Worth area has been the leading economy in the United States for the last ten years. As the population of the city of Houston is expected to surpass the city of Chicago eventually, the metropolitan area of Dallas - Fort Worth is expected to surpass the Chicago area sooner than later to become the third largest in the nation. If the population increases as expected, there will be two cities with populations over a million.
As ancient cities go, I am sure those Latin American cities you mentioned are pretty impressive.
How does that saying go again? When the United States catches a cold, Latin America contracts pnuemonia?
To answer this last point first, those days are in the past. It holds true for much of Latin America, yes. However, for a few countries-Brazil in particular it is no longer the case.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/world/article855212.ece

To answer your first point about Dallas being the leading economy in the United States for ten years, I would like to point out the following to you:

RANK OF AMERICAN CITIES BY ECONOMIC OUTPUT

New York: $ 1406 Trillion

Los Angeles: $792 Billion

Chicago: $574 Billion

Philadelphia: $388 Billion

Washington D.C. : $375 Billion

Boston: $338 Billion

DALLAS: $304 Billion

Atlanta: $301 Billion

San Francisco: $ 297 Billion

Houston: $292 Billion

Special note: The economies of Dallas and Houston are propelled upward in raw dollars due to the large amount of defense contractors in the area, especially relative to the other cities on that list.

You know what the most ironic thing is? Dallas is not a bad city and can hold it's own in many respects. The problem is that so many people such as Mr. Nifty want to make Dallas out to be more, MUCH more than it is which forces people to knock it down to reality.

It would be nice if we didn't have to keep fact checking Dallas and knocking it down, so to speak. If we could just accept the city for what it is and most importantly for what it is not then we could focus on all the positives. We could even work towards making things better. But some people would rather live in a fantasy world than face reality. Too sad.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:02 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,060,443 times
Quote:
I don't think Houston & DFW should even look to "surpassing Chicago" and I'm not just saying that because I'm a native Chicagoan, but I'm saying that when Houston & DFW lack transportation infrastructure it doesn't look good on them having large ambitions to overtake a megacity (a city with 10,000,000 +/- or more people in Metro).

Here are the Newest GDP calculations as of 2010, and this is by MSA:
- New York City: 1.257 Trillion
- Los Angeles: 708.9 Billion
- Chicago: 514.1 Billion
- Houston: 407.8 Billion
- Washington DC: 396.2 Billion
- Dallas-Fort Worth: 384.8 Billion
Source: http://www.usmayors.org/metroeconomies/0110/charts.pdf

Economic Output by CSA:

1. New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA $1.434 Trillion
Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT Metro Area $81,389
Kingston, NY Metro Area $4,679
New Haven-Milford, CT Metro Area $37,643
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metro Area $1,264,896
Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown, NY Metro Area $21,029
Torrington, CT Micro Area
Trenton-Ewing, NJ Metro Area $24,458

2. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA $866.095 Billion
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA Metro Area $717,884
Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, CA Metro Area $35,080
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA Metro Area $113,080

3. Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV CSA $533.542 Billion
Baltimore-Towson, MD Metro Area $133,012
Lexington Park, MD Micro Area
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metro Area $395,747
Winchester, VA-WV Metro Area $4,783

4. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA $526.895 Billion
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI Metro Area $520,672
Kankakee-Bradley, IL Metro Area $3,094
Michigan City-La Porte, IN Metro Area $3,336

5. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $508.418 Billion
Napa, CA Metro Area $7,434
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA Metro Area $310,825
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA Metro Area $146,687
Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA Metro Area $9,903
Santa Rosa-Petaluma, CA Metro Area $20,229
Vallejo-Fairfield, CA Metro Area $13,340

6. Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH CSA $413.930 Billion
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH Metro Area $299,590
Concord, NH Micro Area
Manchester-Nashua, NH Metro Area $20,782
Providence-New Bedford-Fall River, RI-MA Metro Area $65,152
Worcester, MA Metro Area $28,406

7. Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX CSA $403.202 Billion
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Metro Area $403,202

8. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX CSA $383.082 Billion
Athens, TX Micro Area
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Area $379,863
Sherman-Denison, TX Metro Area $3,219

9. Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA $351.680 Billion
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metro Area $331,897
Reading, PA Metro Area $14,838
Vineland-Millville-Bridgeton, NJ Metro Area $4,945

10. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL $276.197 Billion
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area $269,799
Gainesville, GA Metro Area $6,398

11. Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL Metro Area $261.263 Billion

12. Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI CSA $236.457 Billion
Ann Arbor, MI Metro Area $17,891
Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI Metro Area $200,856
Flint, MI Metro Area $11,406
Monroe, MI Metro Area $6,304

Source: BEA.org

Population Centers for CSA:

01. New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA 22,232,494

02. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA 17,820,893

03. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA 9,804,845

04. Washington DC-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV CSA 8,440,617

05. Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH CSA 7,609,358

06. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA 7,427,757

07. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX CSA 6,805,275

08. Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA 6,533,122

09. Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX CSA 5,968,586

10. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL CSA 5,831,778

11. Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI CSA 5,327,764

Quote:
As a Texan and an American, I thank God that I lost the war as a southerner. Why? Well, there is no shame in losing to the natural law declared by our Founding Fathers. I would rather suffer as a worthless prostitute under the worst pimp in the United States than have to live any place outside of our nation's borders.
Though I have just a little, I don't have to go any place because what I have as a United States citizen is the greatest.
If you don't like it, then leave.
There is obviously something wrong with you Nifty, especially if you're saying the things that you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
The only cities that could compare to Mexico City or Sao Paulo are NYC and LA. Consulates and embassies are in no way a good measure of a city. They clump together. Even consulates that would be much better placed in Dallas (like Korea or debatably India) are in Houston.

Nifty, if you think DFW is in any way on the same level as Mexico City or Sao Paulo in importance, you are a moron.
I think Chicago & Washington DC can also. Chicago normally ranks after New York City on most power indexes and Washington DC politically puts itself on the level of Beijing, Buenos Aires, & Mexico City.

Yeah if any city in Texas should have a Korean consulate it should be DFW, but for the Asian Indian one it doesn't matter their populations are nearly identical hit or miss a few small thousands and both are 80,000+ so I think either can have one.

Quote:
I can appreciate the sentiments you have for your homeland. If I were born at the north pole, I would probably be arguing that living in an igloo is better than living in Dallas - Fort Worth. Speaking of igloos, isn't it significant that they are built using an arch? Figure that these Native American Eskimos and Innuits have been building those thing for thousands of years even before the Romans started building arches. And snow makes an excellent insulator as well as an excellent radiant barrier. Also, with just a little skill, snow can be made into water. Figure that just one blue whale alone could feed a whole village for about a hundred years while its carcass could be stored for just a little of nothing in a nearby glacier.
And figure that Native American Innuits have a lot of art made out of the bones of dead seals. They probably paint and draw lots of white pictures on seal skins portraying a lot of scenes of snow and ice using colors made from seal innards.
Look man, DFW & Texas in general are great, but its not the end all and be all, you've clearly demonstrated that you have never left DFW before and that you're going off choppy 1870's stereotypes for the countries in Latin America. Did you know that there actually are developed nations in Latin America despite your ideal to paint it as a total 3rd world hemisphere.

Why don't you take a look at this:

Quote:
Racism? As we were all born equal as Americans knowing in our collective conscience the same self evident and unalienable truths, that term is a myth. It will one day be viewed as such. Philosophy was my minor in college while I tended to concentrate on courses in the philosophy of science specifically. So, I know a lot about truth engines. The United States is less racist than the nation of India. Afterall, our Abraham Lincoln saved our Union while Gandhi couldn't keep that nation from splitting up into Hindu and Muslim sections.
Communism in Asia would go into poor villages to cut the heads off of young men to display them for all to see atop sticks poked into the ground. Why? To scare other villagers towards that which was best for them in regards to their happiness. I guess you think this has virtue.
In other words, Eastern Civilization sucks. There is nothing there to find in regards to social contract theory. In comparison, Latin America sucks even worse.
Next.
Well thats your opinion. I'm Asian Indian & Singaporean, and I can tell you that the Global Economy has shifted to the Pacific Rim & Latin America, that is a fact. Latin American & Asian countries are the ones rising the fastest, just look at the new stats, the new finance numbers, the new everything and it will be evident to you Nifty.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:02 AM

184 posts, read 551,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Danny View Post
I don't think Houston & DFW should even look to "surpassing Chicago" and I'm not just saying that because I'm a native Chicagoan, but I'm saying that when Houston & DFW lack transportation infrastructure it doesn't look good on them having large ambitions to overtake a megacity (a city with 10,000,000 +/- or more people in Metro).

Economic Output by CSA:

Concord, NH Micro Area

Athens, TX Micro Area

There is obviously something wrong with you Nifty, especially if you're saying the things that you are.

I think Chicago & Washington DC can also. Chicago normally ranks after New York City on most power indexes and Washington DC politically puts itself on the level of Beijing, Buenos Aires, & Mexico City.

Yeah if any city in Texas should have a Korean consulate it should be DFW, but for the Asian Indian one it doesn't matter their populations are nearly identical hit or miss a few small thousands and both are 80,000+ so I think either can have one.

Look man, DFW & Texas in general are great, but its not the end all and be all, you've clearly demonstrated that you have never left DFW before and that you're going off choppy 1870's stereotypes for the countries in Latin America. Did you know that there actually are developed nations in Latin America despite your ideal to paint it as a total 3rd world hemisphere.

Well thats your opinion. I'm Asian Indian & Singaporean, and I can tell you that the Global Economy has shifted to the Pacific Rim & Latin America, that is a fact. Latin American & Asian countries are the ones rising the fastest, just look at the new stats, the new finance numbers, the new everything and it will be evident to you Nifty.

+1 to everything you said... also did you see my post above yours I was trying to find links on the internet for those statistics but couldn't so I just had to list them off from my documents I have for work! Thanks for providing the links.

Also, I love Chicago. I think it is a great city and one of the few in the United States that can truly be called global.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:09 AM

532 posts, read 1,056,333 times
I have to raise an eyebrow at the idea that a place becomes socially undesirable because of the increased prevalence of a certain ethnic group. Regardless, it's not even based on an accurate premise to begin with, since "Hispanics" are not a racial group, and can be both black and white. In fact, Mexico City is probably whiter than various Southwestern cities dominated by indio migrant laborers from the Mesoamerica region of Mexico and Central America.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Danny View Post

Economic Output by CSA:

Concord, NH Micro Area

Athens, TX Micro Area

You came to the United States to live on vacation. You haven't even scratched the surface in regards to what it means to be an American. An American Patriot was someone willing to live in the shambles as they understood clearly how, in victory, our nation would be cut off from the world's economy. Of course, the American Loyalists siding with the British viewed matters in terms of money.
What do the statistics you presented have to do with the Dallas - Fort Worth area being the most dynamic growing economy in the United States for the last, what, twenty years?
Real progress comes from the people advancing the social contract they have with the governments ruling over them. Martin Luther King went to India to research Gandhi in an attempt to find an alternate solution in Eastern Civilization to the established social contract existing in Western Civilization. The problem? Well, no such social contract ever developed in Eastern Civilization. Now, a little did happen during the time of Confucius.
Simply put, outside of the Almighty Himself, the world hasn't seen another figure approaching the greatness of Plato.
If the world is to improve, then it is going to have to progress beyond what has been established in the United States during the time of the American Enlightenment.
The amount of money one produces has nothing to do with the social contract the people have with the governments ruling over them.
So, tell me, how does the present social contract exist and how has it progressed since the time of our Founding Fathers and the declaration they made when divorcing our nation out from under tyranny?

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 10-06-2010 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: tweak

Old 10-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
I have to raise an eyebrow at the idea that a place becomes socially undesirable because of the increased prevalence of a certain ethnic group. Regardless, it's not even based on an accurate premise to begin with, since "Hispanics" are not a racial group, and can be both black and white. In fact, Mexico City is probably whiter than various Southwestern cities dominated by indio migrant laborers from the Mesoamerica region of Mexico and Central America.
When life is one long party, then the proprietors doing the serving rule. One way to lengthen the party is to increase the number of holidays the people have off from work.
In other words, before the concept of quality was even created, the world was ruled over by a leisure class. There was very little thought of quality because it existed as a prerequisite.
In the United States, it wasn't tyranny that created the concept of quality but the workers. Likewise, as the leisure class never had to show up, it was the worker who established showing up everyday and on time as a standard.
This subtlety is how the American work ethic powers the world.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:04 PM

532 posts, read 1,056,333 times
Quote:
When life is one long party, then the proprietors doing the serving rule. One way to lengthen the party is to increase the number of holidays the people have off from work.
In other words, before the concept of quality was even created, the world was ruled over by a leisure class. There was very little thought of quality because it existed as a prerequisite.
In the United States, it wasn't tyranny that created the concept of quality but the workers. Likewise, as the leisure class never had to show up, it was the worker who established showing up everyday and on time as a standard.
This subtlety is how the American work ethic powers the world.
What?

Old 10-06-2010, 02:48 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,703 times
Please don't ruin Mr. Nifty's trip. He'll be back down in this meek and miserable existence with the rest of us soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas