Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 12:00 AM

912 posts, read 1,888,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Dallas has a LONG WAYS to go before it could even begin to have even a fraction of the subway/train/transportation options available as in Mexico City.
Capital cities do tend to get an unfair share of the government spending. Still, aren't there more millionaires in the Dallas - Fort Worth area than in all of Mexico City? In the whole nation of Mexico even? That would be interesting to find out. According to what I read, the Dallas - Fort Worth area has 25 billionaires and 83,000 millionaires.
So, in comparison:

List of countries by the number of US dollar billionaires - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According to the cite above, the tyranny of Mexico has a total of 9 billionaires. Simply stunning.
Number Of Mexican Millionaires Up 16.7 Percent. - Internet Securities | HighBeam Research - FREE trial
The numbers of millionaires in the whole tyranny of Mexico was 70,000 in 2001.
Way to go Mexico! Yoo Hoo! You are a very r-r-r-r-ich, world-class, multi-cultural center!

Old 09-30-2010, 06:25 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I agree with many of the posters above. Mexico City is one of the great cities of the world, and has been so for well over a thousand years in various incarnations. DFW is a regional business hub of the last 50. There is no comparison in terms of landscape, architecture or cultural significance. If DFW were to disappear it would be a humanitarian disaster but nothing of enduring cultural significance would be lost except for a few paintings at the Kimball. Mexico City has more seventeenth century buildings than Madrid. It has a restaurant scene rivaled only by NYC, and I would say food is better in D.F. It has the highest number of museums of any city in the world and has produced some of the greatest artists, writers and musicians the world has known. No university in the metroplex can hold a candle to UNAM. It is totally unfair to DFW to compare it to Mexico City. If I were looking for a Mexican city that is like DFW, I would say the metroplex is a flatter, uglier, richer but less sophisticated Monterrey.
Well, Im glad this thread finally found its anti-hero.

DFW is a lot more significant than that and you know it. Of course the Metroplex cant hold a candle to Mexico City. Niether can Houston, Austin, Miami, Atlanta, or anywhere else that isnt New York or LA in the US.

It sucks that just because this thread has one rampant idiot on it, someone tries to be the other extreme and do the same thing. DFW is the nations 4th largest Metro area. It is comparable to Houston, Miami, Atlanta, and Philadelphia in terms of importance. I would say all those places are pretty major even if they arent the most important.

Having spent lots of time in Mexico and all over Latin America, I would say there is no city in Mexico that really reminds me of the Metroplex in any way. The only city that I can think of that would mirror the metroplex in terms of worldwide importance and city structure is Santiago/Valparaiso, Chile. But the admittedly there are still many differences. Santiago has much better archetecture and much more natural beauty. But having been down there, there are some things that remind me of the setup of DFW (and the Metro area is also around 7 million).

DFW is what it is. We have a very large metro area, an excellent food scene, a good nightlife, a diverse population (yes, even more diverse than Mexico City), and a exponentially growing international community. However, Mexico City is without comparrison in the US (minus NYC and LA).

Old 09-30-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
Minor Premise: Mexico City makes up a large portion of the population of the nation of Mexico.
Major Premise: People by the millions are fleeing the nation of Mexico into the United States because it sucks.
Conclusion: Mexico City sucks.
You really dont know what you are talking about.

The people fleeing Mexico for the US are (for the most part) not from Mexico City. They are from places like Chiuaua, Juarez, San Luis Potosi, Torreon, Hermosillo, Tiajuana, etc.

Mexico City is a bright spot even by American standards.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Dallas is in no danger of turning into Mexico City. Tijuana, Juarez, or Nuevo Laredo maybe.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

Mexico City is a bright spot even by American standards.
Unless you have asthma. Visits to cities like Houston and Los Angeles and living in cities like Paris have aggravated my asthma to unbearable levels. This is why I have never even considered visiting Mexico City; I like being able to breathe.

I confess I got scared after a week in Paris when I started coughing up black mucus. It took a long time to get used to the air there and in a way I'm still recovering; I was never this wheezy normally before I lived there. I think the pollution there did permanent damage to my lungs...and Paris isn't even all THAT polluted. It's just in a basin so whatever crud is in the air tends to hang around for a long time and build up before it gets blown out or washed out by a storm.

I can only assume that Mexico City is much much worse in terms of air quality.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Unless you have asthma. Visits to cities like Houston and Los Angeles and living in cities like Paris have aggravated my asthma to unbearable levels. This is why I have never even considered visiting Mexico City; I like being able to breathe.
Make sure you never visit Beijing if you asthma is that bad. Beijing is actually much, much worse than Mexico City or LA in terms of air quality.

I dont have breathing problems and even I found it difficult there.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Make sure you never visit Beijing if you asthma is that bad. Beijing is actually much, much worse than Mexico City or LA in terms of air quality.

I dont have breathing problems and even I found it difficult there.
I've heard that from people who have visited China...they say the air quality there is awful. I was really surprised by how bad the air was in L.A.; I knew it had some of the worst air quality in the US but I didn't expect it to be as bad as it was. People say the air quality in LA is also much better than it was in the 1980s; I can only imagine how bad it was then!

I wonder if air quality in Mexico City has improved since they took steps to take cars off the road certain days of the week and to encourage the use of public transportation. I really would like to visit someday...but not until the air quality is bearable. It kind of ruins a vacation when you're constantly hacking and coughing and hitting your rescue inhaler.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Well, Im glad this thread finally found its anti-hero.

DFW is a lot more significant than that and you know it. Of course the Metroplex cant hold a candle to Mexico City. Niether can Houston, Austin, Miami, Atlanta, or anywhere else that isnt New York or LA in the US.

It sucks that just because this thread has one rampant idiot on it, someone tries to be the other extreme and do the same thing. DFW is the nations 4th largest Metro area. It is comparable to Houston, Miami, Atlanta, and Philadelphia in terms of importance. I would say all those places are pretty major even if they arent the most important.

Having spent lots of time in Mexico and all over Latin America, I would say there is no city in Mexico that really reminds me of the Metroplex in any way. The only city that I can think of that would mirror the metroplex in terms of worldwide importance and city structure is Santiago/Valparaiso, Chile. But the admittedly there are still many differences. Santiago has much better archetecture and much more natural beauty. But having been down there, there are some things that remind me of the setup of DFW (and the Metro area is also around 7 million).

DFW is what it is. We have a very large metro area, an excellent food scene, a good nightlife, a diverse population (yes, even more diverse than Mexico City), and a exponentially growing international community. However, Mexico City is without comparrison in the US (minus NYC and LA).
But Mexico City doesn't even rank amongst the greatest cities in Mexico. By your standards, that would be the ancient civilizations of the Mayan empire. Yes, that very r-r-r-r-rich culture built pyramids, then played soccer, and later sacrificed the losing team to the gods.
Why did this really r-r-r-r-rich heritage vanish off the face of the earth back in the 4th century ACE?. Well, there are many theories as to why this happened with the most favorite one portending that these people simply morphed into pure energy one day before zipping across the universe as bright beams of light accenturated by many colors of the rainbow.
In regards to quality of nightlife in Dallas, I use the Matrix movies as an indication. Are the people in the bars wearing black, wearing really cool sunglasses and hopping around lustfully to the beat of the songs? Are the young men wearing their pants down exposing their underwear or are they at home in their beds so they can get up early in the morning to pray before going to Church?
See, having the largest Churches in the United States in downtown Dallas at one time is not something for the city to be proud of. Downtown closed on the weekends because people worked at a lot of jobs down there. But all these things are bad because they were built by evil white racists. So, let's throw the baby out with the bath water. Yes, to hell with this lightning we once had in a bottle.
You know, being contemptible is really cool. So, let's all participate in a huge multi-cultural orgyfest! Something like you would see in the Matrix movies, but with a little Avatar blue, a huge Jewish neighborhood over here, a large homosexual community over there, a lot of blacks with Afros walking mingling next to the street, Hispanics speaking Spanish, and a lot of weird looking ambience over yonder from the Eastern Civilizations of India and China.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 09-30-2010 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: tweak

Old 09-30-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Dallas is in no danger of turning into Mexico City. Tijuana, Juarez, or Nuevo Laredo maybe.
When crossing over the border between Canada and the United States, there is very little difference. I noticed the Canadians seemed to sell muffins everywhere along the highways and in the fastfood establishments.
When we crossed the border between the United States and Mexico, my little five year old half Mexican son realized this immediately and called out the Spanish word for "dirty." It sounded like he said Fu-chee?

Old 09-30-2010, 10:30 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,773,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
But Mexico City doesn't even rank amongst the greatest cities in Mexico. By your standards, that would be the ancient civilizations of the Mayan empire. Yes, that very r-r-r-r-rich culture built pyramids, then played soccer, and later sacrificed the losing team to the gods.
Why did this really r-r-r-r-rich heritage vanish off the face of the earth back in the 4th century ACE?. Well, there are many theories as to why this happened with the most favorite one portending that these people simply morphed into pure energy one day before zipping across the universe as bright beams of light accenturated by many colors of the rainbow.
In regards to quality of nightlife in Dallas, I use the Matrix movies as an indication. Are the people in the bars wearing black, wearing really cool sunglasses and hopping around lustfully to the beat of the songs? Are the young men wearing their pants down exposing their underwear or are they at home in their beds so they can get up early in the morning to pray before going to Church?
See, having the largest Churches in the United States in downtown Dallas at one time is not something for the city to be proud of. Downtown closed on the weekends because people worked at a lot of jobs down there. But all these things are bad because they were built by evil white racists. So, let's throw the baby out with the bath water. Yes, to hell with this lightning we once had in a bottle.
You know, being contemptible is really cool. So, let's all participate in a huge multi-cultural orgyfest! Something like you would see in the Matrix movies, but with a little Avatar blue, a huge Jewish neighborhood over here, a large homosexual community over there, a lot of blacks with Afros walking mingling next to the street, Hispanics speaking Spanish, and a lot of weird looking ambience over yonder from the Eastern Civilizations of India and China.
OK LANative, you are right, I should not feed the troll - or your description - the idiot racist is more correct. Dallas and Fort Worth are fine cities and I have a good time when I visit. All major U.S. cities are much more racially diverse than their global counterparts - that is one of the things that makes the U.S. interesting. I do think you are wrong about Santiago/Valpairaso in Chile being the best Latin American equivalent of DFW. I wish DFW was surrounded by 15-20 thousand foot mountains, beautiful Pacific beaches and some of the finest wine country in the world. People in Chile call Valpairosa "little San Francisco" and they are not wrong - in the U.S., I would say the Bay Area is a much closer equivalent to Santiago/Valpairosa than DFW. Sao Paolo in Brazil or Bogota, Columbia minus the slums is what DFW could aspire to - a major inland business center, dwarfed in terms of physical beauty and cultural history by Rio, Buenos Aires and Caracas. Mexico City, as you note, is in a different league entirely. I also think Monterrey, while smaller - 4 million people as opposed to 6 - is not that wrong. Monterrey is much prettier topographically and architecturally than Dallas, but has equivalent cultural amenities, the best shopping malls in Mexico and the suburbs except for the mountains and Spanish signage are indistinguishable from Plano/Frisco - miles and miles of tract housing, 90% of the cars on the road are new model SUV's and parts of Northern Mexico and Texas feel very similar to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas