Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 11:32 PM

216 posts, read 444,536 times

Advertisements

My last post in this thread was a ridiculous attempt to rile people up while I was bored at work. My real take on the issue is this:

Dallas will never be like Mexico City in regards to being a cultural mecca. The United States' equivalent to Mexico City is New York City. If the Southwest were to have an equivalent it would probably be Los Angelos. A cultural world class city like Mexico D.F. typically happens only one time per nation. London, Paris, New York, Tokyo, Rome, et cetera are all equals in terms of size and culture. There just isn't room for multiple cities like these in a single nation.

What the OP was referring to though is that Dallas's culture, due to a heavy influx of Mexican immigration, will eventually become completely dominant of Hispanic culture. It seems that some people express a desire for that. I personally hope it doesn't happen. Of course, I don't wish for it not to happen because it's a bad culture, but only because it's already somebody else's culture. Texas, as well as the entire U.S. Southwest, has its own culture that is heavily influenced of Latino personality, but it also is a melting pot with our own traditions. Do we need MORE culture in Dallas? Absolutely. But we don't need it to be completely dominated by one culture from another country.

America is odd because of its immigration paradox. It's our motto to take on immigrants with open arms and hearts, but our attitude throughout history has been quite different. It isn't a race thing either, but rather a cultural thing. In our earlier days it was the Irish, the Italians, and the Polish that were treated with disrespect and hatred as they came in large herds across our borders. As Americans, we resented these (gasp!) white immigrants and the culture they brought with them. Eventually their immigration slowed down and they assimilated. They became Americanized, and pieces of their culture enriched ours. Today we don't even notice them as being different. This is what I believe will eventually happen with all the Mexican immigrants coming across the borders today. It won't be the immigrants themselves that learn English and assimilate into American life, it never is. People who get mad at this fact are being myopic. But their kids will assimilate. They will bring pieces of their culture with them, but they will also adapt to ours. People like HeyitsJose who think everyone in the southwest should just give up English and start speaking Spanish are being naive and foolish as well. You may live in a Spanish speaking community now, but your kids and their kids will eventually learn English. Eventually, Latino immigration will also slow down and we'll have another wave of immigrants that we will resent from somewhere else in the world. Is learning Spanish a great skill to learn and use? Yes. Should it be required and should English become irrelevant in this part of the country? Of course not.

I feel like I'm rambling now, so I'm going to stop. But I guess in summary what I'm saying is that as Mexicans and other Latinos come across the border and into the southwest, their cultural influence that they bring with them only enriches this part of the country. But if you're asking me if we should give up the melting pot and become Mexico II: The Sequel, I say absolutely not. What a terrible idea.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:47 PM

912 posts, read 1,888,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brihd2005 View Post
Per Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary, an "accent" is defined as

A characteristic pronunciation, especially:
a. One determined by the regional or social background of the speaker.
b. One determined by the phonetic habits of the speaker's native language carried over to his or her use of another language.

Don't tell me again that you do not have an accent. Everybody has an accent.... LOL!!!!

You may also check Houston's forum... They've got a thread for "Houston's accent"
//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...t-dialect.html

Take it easy
The state of Texas should teach our children every language in the world because everyone in the world has the right to live here and not just illigal Mexicans. Since that is not possible, the state should only teach English as the official language.
However, in order to get people to isolate and confront this crisis, the state should seriously consider the designation of certain areas (Houston and San Antonio) as Hispanic in culture with Spanish as the official language.
This way the state only teaches each student a single language by either teaching Hispanics Spanish or teaching those who wish to only speak English the English language.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:59 AM

744 posts, read 1,848,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post

America is odd because of its immigration paradox. It's our motto to take on immigrants with open arms and hearts, but our attitude throughout history has been quite different. It isn't a race thing either, but rather a cultural thing. In our earlier days it was the Irish, the Italians, and the Polish that were treated with disrespect and hatred as they came in large herds across our borders. As Americans, we resented these (gasp!) white immigrants and the culture they brought with them. Eventually their immigration slowed down and they assimilated. They became Americanized, and pieces of their culture enriched ours. Today we don't even notice them as being different. This is what I believe will eventually happen with all the Mexican immigrants coming across the borders today. It won't be the immigrants themselves that learn English and assimilate into American life, it never is. People who get mad at this fact are being myopic. But their kids will assimilate. They will bring pieces of their culture with them, but they will also adapt to ours. People like HeyitsJose who think everyone in the southwest should just give up English and start speaking Spanish are being naive and foolish as well. You may live in a Spanish speaking community now, but your kids and their kids will eventually learn English. Eventually, Latino immigration will also slow down and we'll have another wave of immigrants that we will resent from somewhere else in the world. Is learning Spanish a great skill to learn and use? Yes. Should it be required and should English become irrelevant in this part of the country? Of course not.
Again, with most people it is ILLEGAL immigration that we have a problem with, not legal immigration. We are also sick of dirty politicians like Obama using the problem to get more votes for their party.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:04 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
The state of Texas should teach our children every language in the world because everyone in the world has the right to live here and not just illigal Mexicans. Since that is not possible, the state should only teach English as the official language.
However, in order to get people to isolate and confront this crisis, the state should seriously consider the designation of certain areas (Houston and San Antonio) as Hispanic in culture with Spanish as the official language.
This way the state only teaches each student a single language by either teaching Hispanics Spanish or teaching those who wish to only speak English the English language.
So you wish to segregate the Mexican community so that Dallas and Austin will be dominated by white culute? Not happening.

Nifty, its time for you to deal with reality instead of living in a fantasy. Dallas and DFW are becoming more Hispanic faster than anywhere else in the state. Numbers, facts, and data prove it. It is not changing.

Deal with it.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
Again, with most people it is ILLEGAL immigration that we have a problem with, not legal immigration. We are also sick of dirty politicians like Obama using the problem to get more votes for their party.
Most people (in Dallas or wherever) dont make the distinction. They look at a Mexican and just assume they are illegal.

I believe Rick Perry is doing the same thing as Obama. So did Bush. Its certainly not a party issue.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 6,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
So you wish to segregate the Mexican community so that Dallas and Austin will be dominated by white culute? Not happening.

Nifty, its time for you to deal with reality instead of living in a fantasy. Dallas and DFW are becoming more Hispanic faster than anywhere else in the state. Numbers, facts, and data prove it. It is not changing.

Deal with it.
exactly. its getting to the point where hispanics will dominate texas culture and spanish will be preferred over english for social and economic reasons... if you dont like this fact, leave the state.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:24 PM

744 posts, read 1,848,090 times
Quote:
Most people (in Dallas or wherever) dont make the distinction. They look at a Mexican and just assume they are illegal.

I believe Rick Perry is doing the same thing as Obama. So did Bush. Its certainly not a party issue.
We need to reform the system instead of playing "The first party to grant amnesty wins the hispanic votes."

Old 09-27-2010, 05:42 PM

6,823 posts, read 14,039,451 times
Most legal Hispanics I know are also against illegal immigration. That barndoor has been open way to long and neither party is going to send cheap labor back across the border. The sooner we face this fact the better off we will be. The question becomes what is the best way to allow amnesty to them because this will be the only option.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:40 PM

In a related or unrelated move, American Airlines announced a very large expansion from DFW to Mexico to include:

Additional flights to Mexico City, Leon, Guadalajara, Cancun, and Aguascalientes
New nonstop service to Veracruz and Queretaro

American Airlines expanding Dallas-Mexico service | Tulsa World

Having talked to people at American, one of the biggest reasons for the expansion is the huge market growth. In air traffic, the DFW-Mexico market is growing faster than any other market from the US to Mexico. The ties from DFW to Mexico are growing exponentally.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:53 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,740,073 times
Quote:
In a related or unrelated move, American Airlines announced a very large expansion from DFW to Mexico to include:

Additional flights to Mexico City, Leon, Guadalajara, Cancun, and Aguascalientes
New nonstop service to Veracruz and Queretaro

American Airlines expanding Dallas-Mexico service | Tulsa World

Having talked to people at American, one of the biggest reasons for the expansion is the huge market growth. In air traffic, the DFW-Mexico market is growing faster than any other market from the US to Mexico. The ties from DFW to Mexico are growing exponentally.
Probably related to Mexicana going bankrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas