Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 02:19 PM

126 posts, read 408,858 times

Advertisements

The DFW area needs to implement a NO SPRAWL policy!!! Suburban sprawl only creates a homogenous, automobile oriented, and segregated lifestyle. Dallas city proper has only a population density of about 4000, whereas cities such as Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington, and San Francisco have densities over 10,000 people per square mile. The DFW area needs to encourage more dense infill projects to help sustain our cities, instead of developing tract home neighborhoods that are destined to be the slums of tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 11:25 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
I find the landscape just south of Dallas to be prettier than most areas north of Dallas.... but my job is in north Richardson and the wife's is in Rockwall. I suspect if some big companies built campuses south of Dallas, us cubicle workers would follow.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:42 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,765 times
The Logistics Hub, UNT Dallas and new business park in SW Dallas should help a lot of this. I believe the future I-30/190 interchange is to be zoned for office. A big office complex there would probably change the fortunes east of Dallas forever. Mesquite had a chance to do this with the Big Town area, but nothing seems to ever pass there.

Right now, for whatever reason, the big developers initially built the newer factories, warehouses and business hubs north of Dallas. Post WWII policy had a lot to do with that initially, but recenty it almost doesn't make sense. Many companies and developers cite distance to DFW and educated workforce, but it really didn't make sense in the 80s when a lot of these places were much smaller.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:04 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjh1 View Post
The DFW area needs to implement a NO SPRAWL policy!!! Suburban sprawl only creates a homogenous, automobile oriented, and segregated lifestyle. Dallas city proper has only a population density of about 4000, whereas cities such as Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington, and San Francisco have densities over 10,000 people per square mile. The DFW area needs to encourage more dense infill projects to help sustain our cities, instead of developing tract home neighborhoods that are destined to be the slums of tomorrow.
And why on earth would cities outside of Dallas proper discourage people to move to their cities? That would be suicide for their own cities. If Dallas can't figure out how to attract people to live within it's boundaries, they've got no one else to blame but themselves. If you compare Dallas to those other cities you'll see that they have long histories or citizens living in the urban areas, they have retail to offer those residents, they have a cultural draw, etc.

It doesn't behoove one city to discourage growth for the benefit of a neighboring and competing city.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:41 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Yep it's called greed and each little town further and further out seems to be infected. I think there was the an exception where some people near Anna were trying to discourage such growth (article in DMN last week?).

Old 12-17-2007, 04:22 PM

875 posts, read 1,093,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
I think once people that live as far north as Frisco and McKinney get tired of the commute into Dallas, you'll see the same people moving south of I-20 and that area will be just as HOT......I am really surprised that it hasnt taken off more than it has. Time will tell I suppose.
What makes you think they commute to Dallas? Many people work in those areas too, or other cities outside of Dallas.

I've lived in Plano for 8.5 months now, and gone into Dallas twice.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:20 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Regarding my above post see:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-melissagrowth_13cco.ART0.North.Edition1.36f9331.ht ml (broken link)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/121407dnmetweston.228f3cc.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas