U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 06-01-2014, 08:59 AM
1 posts, read 3,243 times
Reputation: 10


I am in the process of remodeling my condo in Oaklawn. I am hoping someone can help me with a Dallas City Building Code question. I pulled up the carpets in hopes of putting in hardwood floors. I found a sub floor made of gypcrete poured on top of a plywood sub floor. The building was built back in 1984. The gypcrete is cracked and crumbling in places. I understand this was used to provide sound insulation and fire retardation between the floors. My question is, can i tear out the gypcrete and just place additional plywood and place my new hardwood floors? Or, do I need to pour new gypcrete per city code? I am hoping someone has a good answer.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Location: Mostly in my head
19,865 posts, read 57,906,987 times
Reputation: 19182
Call the City Building Dept and ask them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2014, 04:20 PM
420 posts, read 411,147 times
Reputation: 604
As you stated, it's fire code to have the gypcrete in a multi-family. As you found out it starts to crumble and is very expensive to replace. You can't do it yourself, has to be a licensed contractor. But, this is really only a problem if you are trying to put down tile or stone on top. Since you are just putting down hardwood, Im not sure you would have to do much of anything. Get some self-leveling concrete patch to cover the parts that are crumbling, then lay the padding for the hardwood over that (if it's a floating system). If it's a glue-down type hardwood installation, you will need to evaluate how level the gypcrete is. You might have to level the whole thing. An easier DIY fix to level it might be 1/4 inch cement board on top of the gypcrete, hardwood on top of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 11:58 PM
153 posts, read 182,619 times
Reputation: 167
Don't know why you'd want to use a glue-down wood... it can't expand and contract with humidity changes. You won't be able to nail a wood floor down either. Maybe consider a laminate floating floor over a plastic pad. This will cover a multitude of sins, and if you grow tired of it, you can easily replace it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top