Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 04:06 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,407,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Lake Lewisville is 30,000 acres, so only slightly smaller than Lake of the Ozarks on lake terms. Lake of the Ozarks has a party cove too which according to wikipedia can have as many as 3000 boats, it was featured on a tv show that follows 'local' parties called "Art Mann Presents".

It is not located next to a metro area of over 7 million people.
Somebody died on Lake of the Ozarks yesterday after jumping out of a police boat for being busted for boating while intoxicated.
You are absolutely right. There is no difference at all.
nope.
none.
Unless you count the difference 6 miles long vs 92 miles can make or the 223 miles of shoreline compared to the 1150 miles of shoreline or the 67 ft max depth compared to the 130' max depth (hard telling the # of tree stumps in the shallows).

Lewisville has a greater percentage of deaths and accidents than other lakes in the area as others have noted. From my limited direct observation, I speculate at least a percentage of those are due to the lack of enforcement of boating laws and overall complacency with irresponsible and inconsiderate behavior. Complete speculation on my part.

Like I said before, I prefer Texoma. Things are more spread out like what I am accustomed to so it's easier to enjoy the lake without being affected by the problem children and it is fairing better in the drought conditions that are expected to continue for quite some time in N Texas.

Speaking to the OP, there's nothing supernatural about the lake. It's simply poor decision making skills, again, as many others have also pointed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 05:29 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
On the lakes where we moved here from (SC, N. GA), the states have regular DNR (Dept of Natural resources) water patrols... Kinda like highway patrol on the water. There's still SERIOUS partying, but their presence seems to keep things under control.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:59 PM

290 posts, read 387,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
On the lakes where we moved here from (SC, N. GA), the states have regular DNR (Dept of Natural resources) water patrols... Kinda like highway patrol on the water. There's still SERIOUS partying, but their presence seems to keep things under control.
Agreed. This is why I started the thread. There are many lakes I frequented when I lived back East, and never heard of this kind of issue. There is regular patrol on the lakes, with crazy parties and carrying on, but it is all maintained. Maybe they should consider that here............... ? since it is obviously a problem. Just a thought!?

Old 06-04-2014, 12:43 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,060,308 times
As per always when threads like this one pop up confusion and bad-information follow. Every year but one since 1998 we've slipped a boat at Pier 121 Marina on Lake Lewisville. A few years ago the Coast Guard Auxiliary pulled information on all known deaths on Lewisville over a period of 15 years prior. And frankly the results didn't surprise me at all.

The yield is Lewisville is a great lake for boating and an insanely bad lake for swimming. It's always windy so the lake is choppy and usually the lake is crawling with very big boats which makes the lake even more choppy. Swimming in confused water for most people is a really bad idea. Add in all kinds of underwater snag obstacles like submerged trees, rebar, concrete chunks, boats props, partially submerged trot lines etc. it just does not make sense to swim there.

Personally I don't take the boat out, with the occasional exception of very early in the AM, on the first or second days of three day weekends. We do take the boat out the evening of July 4 as the fireworks are a short cruise from our slip.

ETA - The Denton County Sheriff's office patrols the lake as do game wardens. The Coast Guard Auxiliary guys have limited powers per se but they do have radios and the will call the sheriff when warranted.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:54 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,461,007 times
To be fair, I'm not sure why anyone would want to swim in any lakes in the DFW area. We have a lake house on a private lake that is regularly patrolled and never crowded as no outside boats are allowed in, and I still wouldn't want to swim around in it.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
To be fair, I'm not sure why anyone would want to swim in any lakes in the DFW area. We have a lake house on a private lake that is regularly patrolled and never crowded as no outside boats are allowed in, and I still wouldn't want to swim around in it.
From our slip we see swimmers at the little public beach just north of Pier 121. Every day we see little kids "swimming" while their parents sit around cooking hotdogs, getting drunk. It's scary.

I'm with you though swimming in the always turbid waters around here is not a good idea.

Last edited by EDS_; 06-06-2014 at 01:36 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 08:32 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Texoma is over 100,000. It all boils down to Lewisville being the place all the 20 somethings go to party in the summer. Almost every FB post on my news feed about "At the lake!" is someone as Hidden Cove or Party Cove. You give a bunch of 20 somethings lots of alcohol, and something that can do 40+mph with no brakes.....you're just asking for a problem.
Yes, it really comes down to stats in my opinion. It's close to a huge population of people and it's popular with the college aged crowd.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:35 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Yes, it really comes down to stats in my opinion. It's close to a huge population of people and it's popular with the college aged crowd.
"Wet, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Old 06-07-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
"Wet, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
Thank you Dean Wormer....

Old 06-16-2017, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,911 times
As a Captain in the US Merchant Marines with over twenty years of service on oceans and bodies of water across the world, I can officially comment that Texas signs and signals are not to the Code of Federal Regulations Standard. As such, it is my duty to report.

Can anyone give me exact information on deaths and fatalities in regard to the submerged trees in Lake Lewisville? It is beyond obvious to me that ignorance is a great factor in relation to the misfortunes on this lake, including drunk boating.

If anyone has information that might be useful in my report to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Service before October of 2017, please reply to this thread. Thank you.

Captain Robert Wiltz
US Merchant Marines
June 16, 2017
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas