Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 09:20 AM

14 posts, read 18,606 times

Advertisements

Ok so I moved back to Dallas last year and have been living in Deep Ellum with my lease come up in a couple of months. Currently I have a roommate but will be looking to get my own place again. Trying to pint point the right neighborhood/price range has been challenging because I have not lived in all of them and I need some help figuring this out.

A little bit about me:

* Single 29 (30 later this year) male
* Active (sports/working out/running)
* Work off 75 and walnut hill
* Most of my friends are in the Addison area, but come down to uptown often
* Price range < $1,200 (Ideally I would like a place for around $1050 but I also like to live in a nicer area and not in a run down apartment)
* I lay low during the week except for the occasional happy hour, but I'm out of the apartment all weekend.
* I'm very social

Hopefully that's enough to give you an idea of who I am and what I might be interested in. Right now I have found a new construction by The Village that is within my range and new... But I'm not sure that it would be the right neighborhood for me... I would love to get feedback from people that have lived in a few of the neighborhoods recently that might be able to offer insight. (I do not want to be among a bunch of 23-24 YO's, I would like to be with the late 20's crowd)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 04:12 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
You have lots of options in Uptown. Post and Gables have nice 1 bedroom units in your price range, I wouldn't settle for The Village.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:15 AM

44 posts, read 70,119 times
For what you want I would not move to the Village.

Stick to the Uptown area.

Look at the State Thomas area (inside uptown)

I lived there for 5 years and loved it.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:58 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Since it has been a few weeks since the original post, I wonder if the OP has made a decision. If not, then comments will still be meaningful.

First off, you are making the right decision to stick south of 635. All of the neighborhoods that you have identified as potential options are better than the 'burbs.

By working at 75 & Walnut Hill, the closest of all the neighborhood options is The Village. The Village is a very easy commute. Do not underestimate the value of a great commute.

Unlike the previous posters, I think The Village could be a good fit. But it would have disadvantages compared to Uptown. Liking sports and being close to work are the advantages of The Village with the fitness center and tennis courts.

However, a lot of this depends on how you spend your weekends. Not sure what "I'm very social" means. One of the bigger downsides of The Village is a lack of immediate proximity to bars and nightlife. Sure, Uptown is a 10 minute drive away, but finding parallel parking can be somewhat of an obstacle. If the bar scene is going to be a big part of your life, choose Uptown and do not look back, because The Village limits your options.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:51 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,792 times
From the Village, you have easy access to SMU blvd/Mockingbird station area as well as the upper Greenville area with the Granada etc.
I have found those areas to be much more entertaining than the Uptown/west village area. YMMV

Old 07-07-2014, 02:10 PM

14 posts, read 67,507 times
Not sure if you're still weighing your options but I used to live in the Knox Henderson area and loved it, when all the rents started increasing like crazy I looked at several places including Uptown, The Village etc. and somehow ended up in Lakewood because I just couldn't pass up the amazing deals and turns out I really like it. But I do recall, I wasn't a huge fan of the village, it seemed kind of lackluster when I toured the area (no bar/restaurant scene immediately nearby). I'm with the others, I would look at a select few areas within uptown (careful it can get very young 20's real fast) or check out the Knox/Henderson area because they've really cleaned up Greenville ave. with some great new adds to the neighborhood like trader joe's and a handful of new restaurants and bars.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:41 AM

14 posts, read 18,606 times
Thanks all! I actually ended up getting a place at Victory Park with my current roommate (things worked out so he didn't have to move). While Victory Park is not "Uptown", I can still walk to a lot of places and get something nice for the same $$ that would get me a 5-10 YO apartment in Uptown.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acar0242 View Post
Thanks all! I actually ended up getting a place at Victory Park with my current roommate (things worked out so he didn't have to move). While Victory Park is not "Uptown", I can still walk to a lot of places and get something nice for the same $$ that would get me a 5-10 YO apartment in Uptown.
Thanks for the update

Enjoy your new place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas