Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 01:35 PM

19 posts, read 75,999 times

Advertisements

I think the taste & smell of the water is related to the environmental temperature & to rural/semi-rural areas. Not just in Texas, but WORLDWIDE. I've tasted similar waters in other countries.
I'd love to use a PUR faucet filter instead of buying bottled water, but a filter is not enough for the water of W Plano
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 11:48 PM

3 posts, read 19,038 times
I live in the Downriver area of Detroit, MI. The water started tasting and smelling bad about May 2009. It goes off and on about every other week being this way. I have traveled around the area in a radius of about 10 miles, and when it tastes bad, it is EVERYWHERE! My theory is that after decades of unregulated polution and dumping,we are now paying the price in this wonderful country of ours. It's NOTjust Detroit, Dallas, and San Jose; this problem is beginning to be widespread across the USA. In my opinion, we deserve this fate. Now Cancer rates, which were in a slight decline will skyrocket. Our Leaders and politicians care NOTHING about us. The problem will continue until our water quality is the same as that in Europe; namely, do NOT drink one drop of it!

Old 09-15-2009, 04:06 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,462 times
The tap water in Plano/Allen/Frisco area tastes very bad to me. That's been in apartments & restaurants & I'm guessing work....I've had two different jobs here the last year & no one drinks any water unless it is filtered. I'll only drink tap if I'm super thirsty & there's no other alternative.

That is one of a few things that disappointed me moving here because I like to drink alot of water. Now I have to buy it over & over instead of refilling one water bottle for awhile. I did have Pur filter on the faucet for awhile & it worked ok, but it broke and I have yet to replace it.

It's interesting to find out why the water here is like that.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainPharmD View Post
Many of you who have lived here your whole life may not know this. The water in the DFW area taste awfull! Is there something wrong? Should I be concerned? The water tastes like a mixture of mud, dirty farm pond and sulfur. This cannot be good for you...
That I guess depends on where in the DFW you live. Lewisville water has be rated in the top 10% in the country, Highland Village water isn't even usable for coffee. Addison and Carrollton as well as Southlake and Grapevine had drinkable water.

Nita

ok, this is another thread that is 2 years old.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:10 PM

80 posts, read 195,133 times
LOL! This thread is almost 2 years old, but I have to agree...the water here is awful! Especially in Collin County where I now live. We are from MI and LOVED the water, but here, right out of the faucet, the water smells like a pond and I don't even bother to try and taste it. It makes restaurant beverages taste funny too. I have a filter on my fridge, but we still use bottled water for most everything else.

Not sure what gives, but this water....eww...

Old 10-10-2009, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 16,825 times
I moved from Bend, Oregon where the water was absolutely delicious...cold and clean mountain water. I have been in Plano and it has a flavor. I really cannot stand it. I would like to know exactly how I can filter it so it does not have a taste. I heard Brita does not work. Does anything work? or is it I just go to get a 5 gallon from Sparkletts....

Old 10-10-2009, 11:04 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat2005 View Post
I moved from Bend, Oregon where the water was absolutely delicious...cold and clean mountain water. I have been in Plano and it has a flavor. I really cannot stand it. I would like to know exactly how I can filter it so it does not have a taste. I heard Brita does not work. Does anything work? or is it I just go to get a 5 gallon from Sparkletts....
I felt the same way when I first moved here. Right around this season we get some kind of algae in the Plano water. It is gross, but harmless. We used a PUR water filter and that helped a lot. Seems like somewhere around winter the taste eases up and later it's fine until Septemberish. I haven't noticed it this year though. I may be used to it by now.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:55 PM

80 posts, read 195,133 times
Algae? Wow. That IS gross. Wonder what can be done to mitgate it?

Old 10-11-2009, 06:12 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,765,323 times
The water in South Oak Cliff tastes great!

Old 10-11-2009, 08:18 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShinyface View Post
Algae? Wow. That IS gross. Wonder what can be done to mitgate it?
From the Plano City Site:

Local Water Supply* (http://plano.gov/Departments/Water/Water%20Conservation%20and%20Education/Pages/Local%20Water%20Supply.aspx - broken link)

[SIZE=4]Summertime Taste and Odor of Tap Water [/SIZE]

(Information provided by the North Texas Municipal Water District) Is the water safe to drink?
Yes. The taste and odor is a palatability issue. There are no health hazards created regardless of the taste and odor.
What causes the taste and odor changes?
An “algal bloom”, a natural occurrence in all surface water supplies, is responsible for the taste and odor changes in the water supply. Algal blooms usually occur in late July and into August each year. (NOTE: Due to the extremely low lake levels last year, vegetation on the lake bed grew very rapidly. This year may actually be a little worse for taste and odor due to this overgrowth of vegetation.
What are the conditions for an algal bloom to occur in Lake Lavon?
Nutrients must be present – such as nitrogen, phosphorous and calcium, which are derived from decaying vegetation in the lake.
Turbidity has lessened – the turbidity or cloudiness of the lake water has cleared up, allowing the penetration of the sunlight. This occurs due to lack of rainfall.
Temperature increase – the optimum temperature range of the lake water for an algal bloom to occur is between 80° and 85°. This is provided through many hot summer days.
When all conditions are met, photosynthesis will take place and the algae will grow. Algae species, such as anabaena secrete an “oily” substance from their cells that causes an odor in the water supply. Aquatic fungi, actinomycetes, grow on dead and decaying algae and cause an earthy taste in the water.
What steps does the District take to control the taste and odor?
NTMWD utilizes several steps to control the taste and odor produced by the algal blooms. Laboratory personnel, through daily analysis, perform algal counts and can determine the onset of an algal bloom. With the onset of an algal bloom, additional chemicals are added to the treatment process. Potassium permanganate is added as an oxidizing agent in reducing the odor levels. To reduce the unpleasant taste, activated carbon is used as an absorption media. Each of these chemicals is removed during the treatment process prior to delivery of the potable water supply. Chlorine, which is used as a disinfectant in the treatment process, also aids in odor reduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas