Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 09:54 AM

718 posts, read 1,392,387 times

Advertisements

For what you are looking , Prosper is definitely your best bet. I would say that it would also be the least cookie cutter and the most rural , but still at reach of everything within minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 10:21 AM

446 posts, read 848,816 times
Where are all the people that live in Prosper going for dining/retail..."minutes" = 5 mins or 15 mins? We looked at the Drees community there and it seemed so rural w/the closest thing retail being a Walmart, which was a 7 min drive. Curious where Prosper dwellers do their shopping and dining?

Old 09-21-2014, 04:45 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,904,343 times
McKinney. Maybe 15-20 min depending on which part of either town.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,126 times
Rockwall would meet your needs based on your budget. There are plenty of nice sub divisions with one acre lots north of I30. Rockwall has a nice, quaint walkable downtown. School system is top rated.

As for the commute, they are planning a new toll road (Blacklands Corridor) to connect to President George Bush toll road which should cut the commute time to Plano.

Link to the planned toll road website --> Transportation - NCTCOG.org

Old 10-03-2014, 08:01 AM

69 posts, read 122,063 times
From a former California resident. And current resident in Plano. The traffic will get worse. It is already a nightmare and they are not done developing the area around the site.

I would really look at places in the area

Little elm to Plano on Main Street takes about 25 minutes in traffic and without it's only 7.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:12 PM

160 posts, read 709,716 times
I noted no one said anything about Wylie. I have lived in Wylie for about 14 years and I work in Plano (about 10-15 min drive). The city has grown drastically, probably going to hit 50k next year, but it's a great place and amazing schools. I have worked closely with Wylie ISD with my son who is special needs and I refuse to go anywhere else because of them. They are ran by families and still do the pledge without edit (most schools have removed the pledge completely or very least removed the "under God" part")

I am building a home in Sacshe now but that still uses Wylie ISD. Now as to HOA, most of the new homes are HOA, and yes most HOA's suck, but ours has been ok. There are too many builders to count in Wylie, but I have a thread in the Dallas forum on what I have dealt with in building now and who I tried.

Can read that 'blog' Here.

Everything is in Wylie as far as Target, TJ Maxx, Wal-Mart, Chilis, Dollar, Five Below, Kohls, Home Depot, Autozone, etc all within 3 mins or less. I can't recommend it enough.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:10 PM

3,822 posts, read 8,762,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior73 View Post
Rockwall would meet your needs based on your budget. There are plenty of nice sub divisions with one acre lots north of I30. Rockwall has a nice, quaint walkable downtown. School system is top rated.

As for the commute, they are planning a new toll road (Blacklands Corridor) to connect to President George Bush toll road which should cut the commute time to Plano.

Link to the planned toll road website --> Transportation - NCTCOG.org
I would not consider that in a current purchase. That's still in the relatively early planning stages and construction will take years once they have made all of the land purchases they need.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:12 PM

3,822 posts, read 8,762,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdevan View Post
I noted no one said anything about Wylie. I have lived in Wylie for about 14 years and I work in Plano (about 10-15 min drive). The city has grown drastically, probably going to hit 50k next year, but it's a great place and amazing schools. I have worked closely with Wylie ISD with my son who is special needs and I refuse to go anywhere else because of them. They are ran by families and still do the pledge without edit (most schools have removed the pledge completely or very least removed the "under God" part")
Can you give some examples? Plano ISD says the full pledge and I'm fairly certain that Garland ISD still does as well.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:31 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,872,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
All of those towns you listed are a LONG way from Plano. You would be driving well over an hour each way!

You need to look to the north: Celina, Van Alstyne, etc. Check out the schools first to make sure they have what you want since rural schools often are not as "fancy" as the suburban ones.
Parker is just east of Plano; Plano schools even.

Check out Parker.
Home of South Fork Ranch for a bonus.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:42 AM

817 posts, read 925,518 times
The Toyota site is on the 121 west of the DNT and is about as far northwest in Plano as you can go. Rockwall is to the east and a little south. If a search is just Rockwall to Plano it probably takes you to City Hall which is 30 min from the Toyota site.

I work about 5 min east of there and our Rockwall people take at least 45 minutes traveling the back roads rather then 30-35 on the tolls. They say the toll is $6 and I don't know if that is one way or round trip. You can check here: https://www.ntta.org/roadsprojects/r...te-Charts.aspx

All travel times (especially from North or East) will get worse when you and your go-workers get there. I agree with not sounding on future project which can be cancelled or delayed.

HOAs are everywhere here. The advice I like best is empty lot or teardown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas