Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 03:25 PM

455 posts, read 578,832 times

Advertisements

When we shop for groceries, im talking food and the rest of household items. Family of 5 and our budget is 150 week.

In our home each week we plan out the menu for the week, and use leftovers to make a second dinner.

For example on Saturday night, I will cook a whole chicken for dinner. On Sunday I take what is leftover on the chicken and turn it into chicken noodle soup.

If we have steak on Monday, on Tuesday the leftover steak is used for burritos. That is 4 dinners for a family of 5 for under 30 dollars.

Then you do a spaghetti night.. Thats 5 bucks for a family of 5, and there is always leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Its even cheaper if you make the noodles from scratch from the ingredients sitting in the pantry. Add another couple bucks if you use ground beef or turkey with the sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 08:02 PM

447 posts, read 322,072 times
we are a family of three. My husband and I have only one little one. We spend something around 800-1000. I like organic things however, KROGER is not a good store. I like some of the whole foods product but they don't have all the vegetables I want. A bit lack of variety.

After coming to Dallas, I seldom buy fish including the ones from Wholefoods, because they are not fresh enough. We go to a Chinese restaurant on Fridays when they will have live fishes delivered by air, and lobsters as well on very reasonable price. Say, three pounds lobster only cost you 50 around which is much cheaper than places.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:58 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
That comes out to $33 a meal 3 meals a day, 7 days a week. I think you're doing it wrong unless you're eating at Bob's every night.
Our outings rarely dip below $50 a meal for two...you do the math.

Please refrain from attempting to correct people's contributions to the forum.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:12 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
When we shop for groceries, im talking food and the rest of household items. Family of 5 and our budget is 150 week.

In our home each week we plan out the menu for the week, and use leftovers to make a second dinner.

For example on Saturday night, I will cook a whole chicken for dinner. On Sunday I take what is leftover on the chicken and turn it into chicken noodle soup.

If we have steak on Monday, on Tuesday the leftover steak is used for burritos. That is 4 dinners for a family of 5 for under 30 dollars.

Then you do a spaghetti night.. Thats 5 bucks for a family of 5, and there is always leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Its even cheaper if you make the noodles from scratch from the ingredients sitting in the pantry. Add another couple bucks if you use ground beef or turkey with the sauce.
Very smart planning. We've been doing more of that and have seen our budget stretch, especially with looking through the pantry and freezer and inventing recipes.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:10 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post

I'm not correcting, it was just a fun comment. Some people take things out of context WAY to seriously. Learn to laugh!

Old 10-30-2014, 10:55 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,938 times
About 800-1000 per month...just depends on what "extras" are running out...like paper towels, paper products, tissues, laundry detergent. Shopping mostly done at WF, Sprouts Or Kroger. Would go to TJ but-factor in the gas, its not worth it. Eat out on weekends as well. Lunch/breakfast is from home.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:21 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Learn to laugh!
Some people don't find what you said funny.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:41 AM

58 posts, read 65,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post

I agree. If my husband and I eat out, I feel like it's nearly impossible to be under 50 unless you are at Subway or something of the likes. If you each want an entree and a glass of wine, that's 50 right there. We try to eat at home more but we both work so much and don't have kids. We probably do about 300-400/week on eating out so I could see 700 happening easily. It's definitely something we are trying to work on!

Old 10-31-2014, 04:25 PM

16 posts, read 17,726 times
We are a family of three. Monthly groceries are about 750-1000$. Outside food at about 200. My wife cooks well and daily!

Old 10-31-2014, 05:20 PM

953 posts, read 1,831,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasbred View Post
I agree. If my husband and I eat out, I feel like it's nearly impossible to be under 50 unless you are at Subway or something of the likes. If you each want an entree and a glass of wine, that's 50 right there. We try to eat at home more but we both work so much and don't have kids. We probably do about 300-400/week on eating out so I could see 700 happening easily. It's definitely something we are trying to work on!
Before kids, we used to go to nice restaurants that had BYOB so we used to take a bottle of wine with us. Helped a ton!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas