Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 07:42 AM

4 posts, read 6,931 times

Advertisements

With all these new subdivisions and apartment complexes that are popping in the town, Allen needs another high school for sure but our district revolves around football, not education.

OP, it would be an expensive and lengthy commute for you without any advantage. You should look in West Plano, Carrollton, Coppell or Castle Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 08:16 AM

168 posts, read 274,607 times
I agree, we needed a new high school about 2,000 students ago! I just don't think it will happen. I still have 5 years to decide if I want my oldest to attend that behemoth...I just can't relate to a school that size. It's almost a third of the size that U of A was when I was a student. Of course, I graduated with 24 students from a public high school, so all of the schools here seem huge :-)

Old 11-04-2014, 08:45 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaintex View Post
I wouldn't expect another high school in Allen in my lifetime. (And my kids are in an Allen elementary school.) Maybe our new superintendent will change things, but I have heard no rumors of new schools except for elementary. The only thing I have seen being considered is expanding Allen High School and the Freshman Center. They don't want to dillute the football talent pool and with our stadium situation, I don't think that will change.
I can't imagine the voters falling for another bond fiasco in Allen. Sad, really.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:09 AM

9 posts, read 10,886 times
You've gotten a lot of good advice as far as the commute to Las Colinas from any community east of Central Expressway being more than 30 minutes in traffic and no way will you be able to stay with a $40-50 budget on tolls. Based on your desire to be within 30 min to Richardson and Las Colinas, but also needing a good school district I can offer up a couple other options you might not have thought of.

There are parts of Far North Dallas where you can live in the Plano ISD that you could look at. There are parts of Carrollton in the Lewisville ISD that would be a fit for you. If you go the Lewisville ISD route, stay in the neighborhoods zoned for Hebron High School. Castle Hills is definitely a great neighborhood with a great school district (it's in the Lewisville ISD) but may exceed your budget.

In my opinion these are your 2 very best options that meet all your criteria.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:42 AM

96 posts, read 203,886 times
You will have a very hard time finding new houses with that budget and within 30 minutes commute. But good luck in your search.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:56 AM

4 posts, read 6,931 times
Quote:
I agree, we needed a new high school about 2,000 students ago! I just don't think it will happen. I still have 5 years to decide if I want my oldest to attend that behemoth...I just can't relate to a school that size. It's almost a third of the size that U of A was when I was a student. Of course, I graduated with 24 students from a public high school, so all of the schools here seem huge :-)
I did IT work for some districts with huge high schools, some of them are managing it well and producing great results. I was really impressed by Coppell and Plano. Their demographics aren't any better than ours but they are miles ahead of us. It's about having an academic focus and keeping class size in control. Frisco has small schools but they aren't taking advantage of that just overspending money and resources. All these bonds and loans have to be paid and at same time maintenance expenses will keep going up as buildings start to age and technology gets outdated.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:47 AM

57 posts, read 96,372 times
Quote:
I wouldn't expect another high school in Allen in my lifetime. (And my kids are in an Allen elementary school.) Maybe our new superintendent will change things, but I have heard no rumors of new schools except for elementary. The only thing I have seen being considered is expanding Allen High School and the Freshman Center. They don't want to dillute the football talent pool and with our stadium situation, I don't think that will change.

Where did you hear about a new elementary school. Any idea of its possible location?

Old 11-05-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buwau View Post
Where did you hear about a new elementary school. Any idea of its possible location?
It was mentioned in the information for Project Kids 2014. Board of Trustees / Project Kids 2014

Old 11-05-2014, 12:52 PM

57 posts, read 96,372 times
Quote:
It was mentioned in the information for Project Kids 2014. Board of Trustees / Project Kids 2014

Thanks. New elementary school means a possible rezoning!

Old 11-05-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buwau View Post
Thanks. New elementary school means a possible rezoning!
There are rumors out there that rezoning may happen before a new school. Enrollment at the 17th school (Lindsey) is up and there are other rumblings that it will be full next year. That may be before those section 8 apartments in McKinney (zoned to Allen ISD) are complete. People in my neighborhood have been speculating that they may start shifting folks from the west to schools in the east because their enrollment numbers are down. My street has been rezoned twice in the last 5 or 6 years. We were rezoned to Lindsey when it opened last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas