Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 02:57 PM

25 posts, read 47,821 times

Advertisements

anybody know more about this new development? it is right off Custer Rd in south Plano. Considering moving there (from another north dallas town)..the homes look very nice and location is perfect for us. the amenities look great (pool, a playground).. We have 2 kiddos (4 and 5yo). However homes here are PRICEY..can't get over paying $500k+ for something that is less than 3000 sq ft and only 3 bedrooms. Zestimate from zillow is much lower than the "starting at" prices.

Just wondering. And for builders..is Tollbrothers typically better than Landon? And, are these are super inflated price? or is it all location, location, location?? the location of this place is beyond ideal for us...is very close to work, in good school district, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 05:30 PM

787 posts, read 1,223,585 times
The last portion of your post is precisely why the prices in this development are higher.

1) Zillow is totally inaccurate in many cases on their "appraised values" or "estimates." I would not put much stock in that.

2) This is an infill development, the only new construction community in that zip code of Plano, and one of the last new construction opportunities in Plano in general. As a result, they are charging a premium price for the location & the opportunity to own a new construction home in an area where there aren't other new construction options. It's easy to find a 70s or 80s home in 75075, but this is your only option for post-2005.

3) Many new developments built in established residential areas are located in areas where there the existing neighborhoods are at a similar price point. West Park is in an established area where the average sales price for all surrounding neighborhoods is significantly lower than WP home prices. Some might see this as a negative & it's something to consider, but I think the convenience factor and new construction will attract other buyers regardless, for the same reasons you're looking there.

You will not get the price per sq. ft you paid to the builder until the community is stable and built-out, so make sure you can hold the home for a few years if you go this route.

I personally think it's a good option for folks wanting to be in PISD, but work in maybe the Telecom Corridor, Plano Raytheon / TI or East of 75 but want the amenities of new construction.

Toll Brothers has a generally good reputation, but not sure in direct comparison to Landon.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:33 PM

7 posts, read 12,678 times
Good location, good schools and good builders= High Prices

Old 12-30-2014, 07:48 AM

thank you CMC_TX for the very detailed reply..very helpful, and makes sense. We have lived in DFW area for 6 years now, but we are not too familiar with the history of the various Plano areas/neighborhoods, etc. All I know is that West Park used to be a farm (Haggard Farm).

And I work in the Telecom Corridor and my husband teaches at UT Dallas..and we have kids who will be school age very soon, so this is prime location for both us. We were live now, we are zoned for an *excellent* Frisco ISD school but our commutes to work are typically 30min to 1 hour (each way), so living @ West Park would cut both of our commute time to mere minutes.

Anyway we checked out the Tollbrothers model homes of West Park last night. Very, very nice. The layouts were very functional, and loved the interior styling. The Villas (not the Estates) would be the only homes in our price range (if even that..they are still pretty $$$ for the size). Anyway, we are trying to see if it is worth paying $$$ to build a new house in West Park or if we are better off trying to find an existing Plano ISD home (preferably built after 2000s) in Richardson (off Renner) that would significantly cheaper (and likely bigger). The idea of building a new house that is so pricey kind of scares me a little. We bought our current house new 6 years ago, but it was an inventory house (nearly finished) in a new area, so we were able to get 10% knocked off the price from the beginning. Now six years later the neighborhood is built out and home has increased in value so it was a great investment. Our current house was much lower in price though, so there was much less risk.

Last edited by train_mom; 12-30-2014 at 08:00 AM..

Old 12-30-2014, 08:07 AM

3 posts, read 5,637 times
Both West Park and Renner Road locations are good.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:12 AM

3 posts, read 5,637 times
Both West Park and Renner locations are good. If you are open to existing homes then you can add parts of West Plano near George Bush Highway to your search. My friend recently sold her house in McKinney and found an awesome house right in the heart of Willowbend.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMania15 View Post
Both West Park and Renner locations are good. If you are open to existing homes then you can add parts of West Plano near George Bush Highway to your search. My friend recently sold her house in McKinney and found an awesome house right in the heart of Willowbend.
thanks. we are open to existing homes, for sure. though not sure about West Plano, given where we both work. i have tried to get from my work to Willow Bend mall around 5pm before and a couple times it has tkaen 30 minutes sometimes because of rotten traffic on the george bush.

so, basically we will consider any house in the $300-$500s range if it is within 10 minute drive (with traffic) of my work and is zoned for good school district. this West Park area is ideal but good gravy it is expensive.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:12 PM

65 posts, read 122,985 times
we first purchased in WP in phase 1 and cancelled it and eventually built in Frisco. The location is good but if you have kids that will goto the school near by you might want to reconsider. that was the biggest drawback for us and why we cancelled. There are several new developments thats going to start in 2015 near this area. Coit and south of Bush and also Renner/75 area so there will be new builds near this area so you might want to hold off a bit. The Phase I prices were much less than the new phase prices.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:15 PM

179 posts, read 284,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlim0930 View Post
The location is good but if you have kids that will goto the school near by you might want to reconsider. that was the biggest drawback for us and why we cancelled.
I don't understand. Is the school near West Park bad? I considered this development and thought it was a great value -- new construction, Toll Brothers, & PISD.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmonova View Post
I don't understand. Is the school near West Park bad? I considered this development and thought it was a great value -- new construction, Toll Brothers, & PISD.
i have the same question..Harrington Elementary (which is right there, totally walkable) has 9/10 rating on GreatSchools, so i thought that a big draw of this place.

Also, we currently live in Frisco ISD, zoned for highly rated schools but the commute to work is killing me, hence the desire to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas