Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 09:41 AM

11 posts, read 10,107 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

I am relocating to Dallas in the next year and I'm just now starting to look at apartments and areas.

I am willing to spend up to 1500$ for a one bedroom. I work remotely, so location in relation to an employer is not relevant.

I am a 28 year old female, single, no kids and I am hoping to live in an area that has other young professionals between 25-45 years of age. I would like to avoid living around college aged/minded people and hipsters.

Where do most single professionals live? The last time I stayed in Uptown it seemed to have a college feel to it, so is there other areas of town that are lively, nice and better suited for the 30 year old professional crowd?

I still enjoy nightlife, lounges and restaurants so if an area where professionals are living also has nearby bars/restaurants that would be a huge plus.

I appreciate any advice offered. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 09:43 AM

787 posts, read 1,223,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheMove7 View Post
Hi All!

I am relocating to Dallas in the next year and I'm just now starting to look at apartments and areas.

I am willing to spend up to 1500$ for a one bedroom.

I am a 28 year old female, single, no kids and I am hoping to live in an area that has other young professionals between 25-45 years of age. I would like to avoid living around college aged/minded people and hipsters.

Where do most single professionals live? The last time I stayed in Uptown it seemed to have a college feel to it, so is there other areas of town that are lively, nice and better suited for the 30 year old professional crowd?

I still enjoy nightlife, lounges and restaurants so if an area where professionals are living also has nearby bars/restaurants that would be a huge plus.

I appreciate any advice offered. Thank you in advance!
75219 zip code might be good. There are definitely people your age living in uptown proper, but I feel somewhere Uptown adjacent might be better suited for what you're looking for.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:54 AM

793 posts, read 1,223,293 times
Different parts of uptown have different vibes, so may be worth another look. I also really like the Knox/henderson area and lakewood village (gaston/abrams) and lakewood heights (skillman/live oak).

Old 02-23-2015, 10:05 AM

290 posts, read 388,085 times
Agreed with JTC Mom - I like Knox/Henderson as well, preferably the Knox side. Lakewood is also great.

I feel like Uptown is on the younger side of the young professional crowd (I'm 31). I do like the West Village area, and the area near Highland Park/Oaklawn Ave. Other than those 2 areas, I wouldn't live in Uptown.

OP - Knox/Henderson is a street divided by Highway 75. The right side (when coming from downtown) is Henderson and the left side is Knox. The Knox side is right on the Katy Trail (awesome for biking/walking etc), and has tons of apartments, with restaurants and retail as well. Your budget will get you in there without any issues. The Henderson side can be a little sketchy in pockets, but tons of bars there and good food as well. Another plus is that Knox/Henderson is very close to Uptown, if you do want to head down there to hang as well.

A big question though is where will you be working? Do you know yet? That will play a big part in where you live if not sitting in traffic is important to you

Old 02-23-2015, 07:59 PM

Thank you all so much, CMC, JTC and Tamara!! I will be working remotely, so my location to work is not an issue. I just want to make sure I'm at least near a mature, lively, yet upscale/professional part of town.

It sounds like Knox/Henderson may be better suited for me than Uptown, I will work on targeting apartments in that area instead.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:54 AM

One last Question: Which areas of Dallas are most populated with offices and businesses? Despite working remotely, I will have clients that I will occasionally take to lunch, so I would hope to also live near the area of town where most professionals work and there are lunch spots within walking distance. Thanks Again!

Old 02-26-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
One last Question: Which areas of Dallas are most populated with offices and businesses? Despite working remotely, I will have clients that I will occasionally take to lunch, so I would hope to also live near the area of town where most professionals work and there are lunch spots within walking distance. Thanks Again!
Offices are spreadout.. Richardson, Addison/Galleria, Uptown, Downtown. Are your client offices located in Dallas? If so where?

Old 02-26-2015, 03:09 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,409,307 times
You might want to check out southside at lamar. It's close to downtown with a more professional atmosphere and less of a frat/sorority feel. Nearby are the Aloft and Omni for clients, Gilleys/Paladium for concerts, nice coffee shop, an Alamo Drafthouse opening soon, and a DART station to take you to most other major areas.

For that budget, you might be able to get a unit in the SOCO lofts. Those are independently owned units so pricing varies a bit. There's a 917 sq.ft. 1 bedroom available now on the 8th floor for $1300.
Everything is walkable and close to that one.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 PM

Since Knox/Henderson was strongly suggested for my interests, I was hoping to target the closest business area to Knox/Henderson, if there is such an area(?)

Tamara, most of the clients I will be meeting with will work in two different offices within Dallas, but will be meeting with me for a lunch before leaving town, which is why I hope to be near an area that allows me to orchestrate a decent business lunch. Again, office location is not my primary focus as much as having a great combination of business/professional area intertwined with some class and fun. While not traveling, I will be using Dallas as home, my daily social life and the occasional business lunch, ...so I hope to get an area that is convenient for all purposes, if possible. Since I will be working from home much of the time, it is more important for me that my neighborhood serve multiple purposes.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Since Knox/Henderson was strongly suggested for my interests, I was hoping to target the closest business area to Knox/Henderson, if there is such an area(?)

Tamara, most of the clients I will be meeting with will work in two different offices within Dallas, but will be meeting with me for a lunch before leaving town, which is why I hope to be near an area that allows me to orchestrate a decent business lunch. Again, office location is not my primary focus as much as having a great combination of business/professional area intertwined with some class and fun. While not traveling, I will be using Dallas as home, my daily social life and the occasional business lunch, ...so I hope to get an area that is convenient for all purposes, if possible. Since I will be working from home much of the time, it is more important for me that my neighborhood serve multiple purposes.
Then you should be fine living in the Knox/Henderson area. I say this because it is minutes from Uptown anyway. So if/when you want to meet clients in Uptown or Downtown, you are not far at all. You will be centrally located to those areas. Plus, my colleagues and I have met at restaurants in the Knox area a handful of times, it is not uncommon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas