Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 02:08 PM

850 posts, read 796,676 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am weighing job offers from Denver and Dallas and wanted to know if anybody here lived in both cities and which one you prefer. Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 02:19 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
What is important to you? They are very different cities, so knowing what you like will be a huge factor. For instance, Dallas has a lot to offer, but if you love to be outdoors and doing outdoors-y type of things, then Denver wins easily.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
What is important to you? They are very different cities, so knowing what you like will be a huge factor. For instance, Dallas has a lot to offer, but if you love to be outdoors and doing outdoors-y type of things, then Denver wins easily.
Yeah I do like outdoors and mountains, I used to live in Chicago so cold not big deal, but dallas seems to have better job market and cheaper am I right on this?

Old 03-05-2015, 03:08 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Hello,
I am weighing job offers from Denver and Dallas and wanted to know if anybody here lived in both cities and which one you prefer. Thanks all.
I've never lived in Denver but I used to go for business and pleasure a lot and we have a second home in Beaver Creek.

Money:
I'll send you the links if you'd like.......all in Denver is about 10/11% more expensive to live in than Dallas and the aggregate tax burden in Colorado is roughly 10/12% higher than Texas.

Fun:
Dallas/DFW has more and better bars, restaurants, movie theaters, a vastly better cultured arts scene -museums, art, architecture etc.

Denver, as mentioned earlier if you like outdoor activities Denver and the surrounding area wins by a mile.

Both places have all manner of pro and college sports - push.

Economy:
Dallas more or less always wins. DFW has a lot more people than all of Colorado. DFW has 18 Fortune 500 company HQs, Colorado has 9. People in DFW are significantly richer than those in Denver by most reasonable measures, excepting some unadjsuted, and very misleading, statistics like nominal median income etc.

I'd wager the decision will come down to this:

What's the pay difference between the Dallas gig and the Denver gig? And how much of a premium might you be willing to pay to live in Denver?

I'd guess that if the Denver gig pays less than a 13/17% premium over the Dallas gig you'd be better of here financially. That said if you are a 70 day per year skier or a serious hiker, mountain biker etc. the allure of Denver may overcome any net, net pay deficit.

Good luck.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:09 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Yeah I do like outdoors and mountains, I used to live in Chicago so cold not big deal, but dallas seems to have better job market and cheaper am I right on this?
The winter weather in Denver is a lot easier to deal with than Chicago.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I've never lived in Denver but I used to go for business and pleasure a lot and we have a second home in Beaver Creek.

Money:
I'll send you the links if you'd like.......all in Denver is about 10/11% more expensive to live in than Dallas and the aggregate tax burden in Colorado is roughly 10/12% higher than Texas.

Fun:
Dallas/DFW has more and better bars, restaurants, movie theaters, a vastly better cultured arts scene -museums, art, architecture etc.

Denver, as mentioned earlier if you like outdoor activities Denver and the surrounding area wins by a mile.

Both places have all manner of pro and college sports - push.

Economy:
Dallas more or less always wins. DFW has a lot more people than all of Colorado. DFW has 18 Fortune 500 company HQs, Colorado has 9. People in DFW are significantly richer than those in Denver by most reasonable measures, excepting some unadjsuted, and very misleading, statistics like nominal median income etc.

I'd wager the decision will come down to this:

What's the pay difference between the Dallas gig and the Denver gig? And how much of a premium might you be willing to pay to live in Denver?

I'd guess that if the Denver gig pays less than a 13/17% premium over the Dallas gig you'd be better of here financially. That said if you are a 70 day per year skier or a serious hiker, mountain biker etc. the allure of Denver may overcome any net, net pay deficit.

Good luck.
Hey thats some good information, I keep hearing Denver housing and rents are getting more expensive so yeah that does factor in.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:55 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
It really comes down to how much you want to engage in outdoor activities. I've had lots of friends move to Denver from Dallas but they're all avid mountain bikers/skiiers/hikers/snowboarders and they love it, no matter if it's more expensive and has far colder winters. For them, it's the perfect blend of big-city amenities/job opportunities and outdoor activities.

But if that's not so much your thing -- and you don't mind a flat landscape and hot summers (looks like you're in Arizona now so you know a little about that though Dallas will not be quite as intense but more humid) -- then Dallas will have a slightly lower cost of living and more economic opportunities. It's kind of a hassle if you're used to having ski slopes practically in your back yard, but many people from here take a vacation/long weekend to go skiing in New Mexico or Colorado.

NOTE: Dallas isn't as cheap as it used to be, as has been noted on other threads on here. Some move here and are shocked it's not quite as inexpensive as they had imagined. Rents and housing prices have gone up here as they have in other places.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:03 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Hey thats some good information, I keep hearing Denver housing and rents are getting more expensive so yeah that does factor in.
I know nothing about the Denver housing market, but wanted to say our real estate market is one of the hottest in the nation (being driven by strong economy & job growth), so be realistic about what your apartment / future home will look like in Dallas.

If you want to live in Uptown where many young professionals live, a cheap studio rents for $1200/mo. Anything "upscale" is more like $1500++ for a 1br. You won't be able to rent in a cool fun area for $750/mo (not saying you are....but we get like 10 posts a week with people moving from NYC/northeast/Chicago who want to live in a fun cool neighborhood and pay peanuts in rent...not happening here!)

For home purchases, a suburban home zoned to great schools is running close to $300k with prices forecasted to go up 10-12% per year for the next 3 years. In the city, you're looking at $300-500k MIN range for good schools....the top school district starts around $1M for a crappy tear-down that isn't on a busy street. If you think you'll want to buy a house in a fun young professional neighborhood, $300-450k range. Condos start around $200k but tend to have high HOA dues ($200-600/mo not uncommon). Property taxes will run you 2-2.5% of market value each year, so around $4-5k for that $200k condo or $6-7k for a $300k home. Again you may not even have home purchases or schools on your radar, but do not expect to get a brand new 4,000sf home for $200k zoned to great schools and a 30 minute drive downtown. Even at a 1-hour drive to downtown, you can't get that!!

Old 03-05-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I know nothing about the Denver housing market, but wanted to say our real estate market is one of the hottest in the nation (being driven by strong economy & job growth), so be realistic about what your apartment / future home will look like in Dallas.

If you want to live in Uptown where many young professionals live, a cheap studio rents for $1200/mo. Anything "upscale" is more like $1500++ for a 1br. You won't be able to rent in a cool fun area for $750/mo (not saying you are....but we get like 10 posts a week with people moving from NYC/northeast/Chicago who want to live in a fun cool neighborhood and pay peanuts in rent...not happening here!)

For home purchases, a suburban home zoned to great schools is running close to $300k with prices forecasted to go up 10-12% per year for the next 3 years. In the city, you're looking at $300-500k MIN range for good schools....the top school district starts around $1M for a crappy tear-down that isn't on a busy street. If you think you'll want to buy a house in a fun young professional neighborhood, $300-450k range. Condos start around $200k but tend to have high HOA dues ($200-600/mo not uncommon). Property taxes will run you 2-2.5% of market value each year, so around $4-5k for that $200k condo or $6-7k for a $300k home. Again you may not even have home purchases or schools on your radar, but do not expect to get a brand new 4,000sf home for $200k zoned to great schools and a 30 minute drive downtown. Even at a 1-hour drive to downtown, you can't get that!!
Since I used to live in Chicago, everyone that moves to Tx, GA or Az expect lower cost of living, but it doesn't sound like Dallas is cheap, I was in Atlanta for 3 years and 1 bd goes now 1200 and up.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:11 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Others did some good analysis here.

In this economy, consider yourself lucky to have 2 job offers as a long distance candidate.

Either place will be an upgrade over the Phoenix area IMO. A major problem with the Phoenix area is that the job infrastructure has lagged population growth there. Quality of jobs in pretty low there without a lot of Fortune 500 companies. That was the major reason why I left Phoenix.

Think long and hard about your own interests and the nature of the job. Both Denver and Dallas have a lot going for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas