Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:59 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
The homes in Los Rios are nice. It's the surrounding areas. The Senior High is good, however some of those feeder schools are not where you would want your kid to go. I haven't looked at figures but I would imagine this would affect your property value. Once you leave the neighborhood itself you can see how the surrounding area changes considerably.
Williams HS has a reputation of being pretty rough and overcrowded. However I have several neighbors who have kids going there. While it's not the shiny new school, they have added on and the problems seem to be getting resolved between that and a new administration. Fears of gangs, drugs and cops on site all the time have been exagerated according to two neighbor girls.

PISD will be holding a bond election in May and it will include a new high school so that there will again be only 2 middle schools feeding into Williams if it passes.

As far as Williams bringing our property values down, it doesn't. Murphy feeds into Williams and I can assure you that this is a very desirable area for parents who want a good education for their kids. Same goes for Los Rios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 11:07 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
And with Murphy's current rate of development, it further strengthens the surrounding areas like Los Rios. The notion that east Plano is undesirable is good in a sense... it keeps people with that mindset on the other side of 75.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
The homes in Los Rios are nice. It's the surrounding areas. The Senior High is good, however some of those feeder schools are not where you would want your kid to go. I haven't looked at figures but I would imagine this would affect your property value. Once you leave the neighborhood itself you can see how the surrounding area changes considerably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
The property values in the far eastern side of Plano are not going down and neither are sales. The area is VERY appealing and home to many top execs in the Dallas metroplex. The head guy over at TI lives just east of Los Rios. In that area it is Parker but Plano ISD. The homes are BEAUTIFUL and on acreage. Sure there are some older areas of much smaller tract homes on the east side of Plano near Los Rios but those exist in West Plano too. I'd take Far East Plano over West Plano any day. But one would recommend Rowlett over East Plano.... no way. If you don't like the lower end older homes of East Plano your surely not going to like there. Rockwall is fine and totally different than Rowlett.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Williams HS has a reputation of being pretty rough and overcrowded. However I have several neighbors who have kids going there. While it's not the shiny new school, they have added on and the problems seem to be getting resolved between that and a new administration. Fears of gangs, drugs and cops on site all the time have been exagerated according to two neighbor girls.

PISD will be holding a bond election in May and it will include a new high school so that there will again be only 2 middle schools feeding into Williams if it passes.

As far as Williams bringing our property values down, it doesn't. Murphy feeds into Williams and I can assure you that this is a very desirable area for parents who want a good education for their kids. Same goes for Los Rios.
Well, it's been about seven years now so things could have gotten worse in that time, but our son went to Williams. At the time, I had also heard Williams was a "rough" school. We had no problems there, however, and when we moved to West Plano, he wanted to transfer back to Williams for his final year and I let him because he was doing well there. There were some fights, some pretty serious ones and Williams is what I would term generally a "lower income" school (for Plano) but again, we had no problems there. I'm not saying that some schools in Plano on the west side might not be better, but I do think Williams reputation for "roughness" is exaggerated. At least it used to be IMO.

Whether East Plano is a "fit" just kinda depends on what you want. Before we moved, we looked at Los Rios too, but I have to admit we did have some concern about housing values there. But I'm not sure those concerns were substantiated by any facts really.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:33 AM

937 posts, read 2,907,542 times
A Plano school being "rough"? haha that is pretty funny.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:44 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times
I was referring to Armstrong, Bowman and some of the other schools. Plano E. Sr High is nice. I can tell you from experience family members have not had good experiences with the elem. in that area.
I have lived in Rowlett. There are many nice new homes there that are better than E. Plano. Just my opinion based on my own experiences.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:14 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Well, again my son attended Forman Elementary and Armstrong Middle School too. No problems and I do think he got a good education at both of them. But again, that was about 10-12 years ago. Things could have deteriorated since then. There probably are better places to live than East Plano but we lived there for about 6 years, had no problems with schools, crime or anything else and we enjoyed it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas