Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 09:13 PM

144 posts, read 207,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC31 View Post
Update...we are putting an offer on great outdoor house. I really don't love the house and will have to put a lot of money into it but we don't want to deal with the rental market and are terrified of rolling the dice that something will come up once we leave.

If we get the house we will be redoing the kitchen and I would love to remove the wet bar that sits in between to walkways that lead to the small family room. Hopefully the wall isn't load bearing.

Sounds good. There are no perfect houses, it's all give and take unless you have an unlimited budget and no time or commute restraint. Is it near Hockaday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 09:40 PM

88 posts, read 152,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLama View Post
Sounds good. There are no perfect houses, it's all give and take unless you have an unlimited budget and no time or commute restraint. Is it near Hockaday?
It is not near Hockaday. It is in West Plano. I know the commute won't be fun but we just couldn't find anything that my husband and I agreed on closer that didn't sell the first day before we could get an offer in. Ugh.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,965,938 times
Have you driven that commute in real world conditions?
Are you using an agent who really knows the area?

A bad commute and a house you really aren't happy with doesn't sound like a good choice

Old 04-25-2015, 10:05 PM

8,155 posts, read 3,711,249 times
This is a difficult commute (and getting worse by the day), if done once daily. Twice a day, I can't imagine.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:35 PM

144 posts, read 207,929 times
Quote:
It is not near Hockaday. It is in West Plano. I know the commute won't be fun but we just couldn't find anything that my husband and I agreed on closer that didn't sell the first day before we could get an offer in. Ugh.
Obviously it is not as good as living next doors to Hocakaday but I know several families who drive to Dallas privates and find it manageable. You'll find parents willing to carpool. West Plano is convenience central and having good public schools as fall back plan is a always a good thing.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Obviously it is not as good as living next doors to Hocakaday but I know several families who drive to Dallas privates and find it manageable. You'll find parents willing to carpool. West Plano is convenience central and having good public schools as fall back plan is a always a good thing.
Exactly!!! I want good public schools as aback up in case Hockaday is not a good fit or financially things change. We dietary the drive Friday morning and it took 34 minutes taking Preston. My daughter will just have to get dressed quickly and eat in the car. (-:

Old 04-26-2015, 09:03 AM

19,896 posts, read 18,180,720 times
Quote:
I know people who do the Plano to various North Dallas privates too. Heck we did it ourselves until 2010. One of my daughter's friends and family did the McKinney to Ursuline shuffle for four years. The point is these commutes are worse now than in the past and the will be worse still as the Toyota, Mass. Mutual et. moves occur.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:35 AM

19,896 posts, read 18,180,720 times
Quote:
Exactly!!! I want good public schools as aback up in case Hockaday is not a good fit or financially things change. We dietary the drive Friday morning and it took 34 minutes taking Preston. My daughter will just have to get dressed quickly and eat in the car. (-:
Trust me she will become a master at eating, studying, taking power naps, changing clothes etc. in the car.

1. Congratulations on the Hockaday admission it's an impressive accomplishment.
2. I predict that your family will love Hockaday.
3. So far as getting there you'll want lots of routes in and out as traffic snarls happen all the time:

A. The Preston options
1. Over on Harvest Hill and down Inwood to Forest

2. Over on Harvest Hill and down Welch to Forest and either set of entrances into Hockaday (Welch side or along Forest)

*3. Preston to Northaven and over to Welch or up Strait and over to Welch on Alta Vista or Hallmark, I guarantee you this route will save you time on occasion.

*4. Preston to Royal and then North on Quincy Lane it's a little side road that runs along the Tollway to Northaven or Forest. Quincy is little used by cars because it has speed bumps and it's more or less hidden.

5. Preston to Royal and up Inwood to Northaven or Forest or to Welch and up to the west side entrances or Forest.

B. The Tollway - no matter what there will be times when the tollway makes sense. Remember there is no southbound Tollway exit at Forest and you there is not Northbound access to the Tollway at Forest. So you'll have to use Royal to the south or Alpha well to the north. I'd only use Alpha in emergencies it'll cost you time. You'll quickly learn to co-mingle the streets in part A with using the Tollway.

C. Midway as a bailout you can take Midway road south to Forest or Northaven.

If you don't have a mapping system with traffic updates in your car or on your phone you'll need one or the other.

Again congratulations and good luck.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:34 PM

EDS...your post will become my bible. (-:
We bought a house in Willow Bend. It's not our dream house but we don't plan on living there forever. It is about 1200 sq ft smaller than the house we just sold so we have to get rid of so much furniture.

We don't have a lot of extra space in the backyard but would like to do some sort of small outdoor living/kitchen. Any suggestions of companies to contact?

Old 04-26-2015, 12:50 PM

7,893 posts, read 11,434,253 times
Quote:
EDS...your post will become my bible. (-:
We bought a house in Willow Bend. It's not our dream house but we don't plan on living there forever. It is about 1200 sq ft smaller than the house we just sold so we have to get rid of so much furniture.

We don't have a lot of extra space in the backyard but would like to do some sort of small outdoor living/kitchen. Any suggestions of companies to contact?
I know another in willow bend area whose child is in Hockaday you might consider car pooling as an optin to making your own way twice a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas