Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 03:26 PM

152 posts, read 673,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
It was so hot last summer it "was" uncomfortable to go outside. I couldn't spend more than 5 to 10 minutes max on my balcony or I got light headed.

If you get light headed after spending 5 minutes sitting on your balcony maybe you need to spend a little more time outside to try and get used to it, or don't have your AC set to 50? Seriously though, if you get light headed after sitting outside for 5 minutes maybe something is wrong because I'm not sure that is normal(not trying to be rude here...I promise lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 03:31 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyinSanAntonio View Post
If you get light headed after spending 5 minutes sitting on your balcony maybe you need to spend a little more time outside to try and get used to it, or don't have your AC set to 50? Seriously though, if you get light headed after sitting outside for 5 minutes maybe something is wrong because I'm not sure that is normal(not trying to be rude here...I promise lol)
Really... especially last summer... the mildest we've seen in a while... 'tho definitely more humid than most! Wait 'til we get the 100's again for 30+ days straight w/no rain!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:36 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
I'm going to hit on a few of the things that have been brought up:

1. CHEESE CURDS - you CAN get those here in the Dallas area. Culvers has them. There are only two locations that I've been to and they are in Rockwall and McKinney. Even this Native Texan likes cheese curds

2. 5 minutes and lightheaded - Ladyrogers, You mentioned this was on your balcony. That may very well be the problem. On the typical apt balcony 3 sides are blocked and only 1 side open. Your not getting ANY cross ventilation or air movement at all. Of course that is going to make it that much worse and could very well make someone lightheaded. If you still get lightheaded after being outside in the summer but in an area that is "open" on all sides but in the shade then I would HIGHLY suggest seeking medical attention - SERIOUSLY! We had one of the cabana's rented at Hawaiian Falls last August when it was REALLY HOT and it was fine in the shade and even in the water w/ the sun beating on you floating in the lazy river. Place was PACKED as usual.

3. "Blight" in Dallas - EVERY large metropolitan city will have areas of blight. There are some GREAT areas w/in the city limits of Dallas that are VERY NICE!!!! Some have already been mentioned and believe it or not there ARE some areas around White Rock Lake and Lake Highlands where one can find 1/2 acre lots w/ HUGE mature trees, charming architecture, family friendly and great schools. Of course these areas are going to be MUCH more expensive than what one will find in the burbs mentioned of Allen, Frisco & McKinney.

4. 1/2 acre lots - not gonna find in Frisco, Allen & McKinney. Try Parker, Murphy, Lucas, Fairview, Rockwall, Heath, Royce City, Fate and there are a few even in Garland. One on Talley up in the Firewheel area is on a wee over an acre I believe, new build w/ a pool. Here are a couple others that are on just under a a lil over 1/2 acre:
Woods Ln in Garland $649K
Single Family Home - 2614 Woods Lane, Garland, TX, 75044 - Realtor.com
Dunrobin in Garland $989K
Single Family Home - 18 Dunrobin, Garland, TX, 75044 - Realtor.com
Hmm, can't find the one on Talley.... guess it sold

5. Heat, Lot Size & Trees - If you have a home on a smaller lot in a crowded subdivision that has nothing but teeny-tiny small trees it will be hotter. For starters there is more concrete and structures than there is "green space" that can absorb the heat. Being on a larger lot w/ more room between the homes there will be breezes that can be created even if there is no wind. Air can actually MOVE! Heat can be absorbed into the ground. Having open areas w/ trees you can create a nice oasis and a breeze. We have a VERY LARGE LOT w/ a pool, and TONS of trees. It can be VERY nice out there even in the heat of the summer. BUT, if you open the gate and step out onto the driveway where there are no trees or grass you can instantly feel the temp rise.

If your wanting the larger lot for the boys to be able to go outside all year round to run and play then don't settle for anything less. Even in the winter here we enjoy the outdoors. I've had my kids birthday parties the first week of January w/ a bounce house in the backyard, grilling burgers, kids playing and running around the yard and no one wearing a coat much less a jacket. One reason why I LOVE our winters. Even Christmas Day can be GLORIOUS weather even though it is not a "White Christmas". The kids can wake up on Christmas morning and find that new shiny bike that Santa left for them and actually be able to go outside and ride it. I would not trade that for ANYTHING in the world

Oh, but it is COLD right now. I was FREEZING waiting for my car at NorthPark earlier. Supposed to be up to 53 tomorrow and I sure hope so.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:27 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade_word View Post
If you want the best way to live, stay away from the urban areas and all the blight that goes with it. The suburbs offer much better options for you. Even though my preference is up north (in DFW), you can look all over for good places to settle in. Hope it works out.
Lots of great neighborhoods within the Dallas city limits. I live in a pretty suburban-ish 'hood in North Dallas, and there is a ton of exciting things happening in the neighborhoods ringing downtown. If I was still single and in my 20's I would love to live down there. For some the 'burbs are a good choice, I'm not one to hate on the suburbs. I just like being closer to the heart of the city.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:35 PM

36 posts, read 150,942 times
I want to thank everyone again for all the info. I was looking at Plano and saw how many people lived there. Are there any towns that have maybe 10,000-40,000 people? I am in the pharmaceutical industry and I don't really know where the jobs for this type of field are or what their is. And my husband would like to get a job managing a golf course or country club. Any good ideas of places from those new tips?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmtl2 View Post
I want to thank everyone again for all the info. I was looking at Plano and saw how many people lived there. Are there any towns that have maybe 10,000-40,000 people? I am in the pharmaceutical industry and I don't really know where the jobs for this type of field are or what their is. And my husband would like to get a job managing a golf course or country club. Any good ideas of places from those new tips?
If your wanting the smaller town/city/suburb then look at the ones I listed in my previous post. They are going to be MUCH smaller than Plano, Allen, Frisco & McKinney w/ a LOT LESS traffic and congestion.

As for pharmaceutical jobs - take your pick. In everyone of the places I mentioned they are opening up new stores and shops like crazy. The largest w/ the most stores will be Rockwall. Still a small town family atmosphere but TONS of the stores, shops and restaurants. Around here all of the grocery stores have a pharmacy then we have CVS and Walgreens. Most of the hospitals have an inside pharmacy. You could even go into pharmaceutical sales (have several friends in that industry).

Country Clubs: In the areas I've mentioned you have these
Rockwall - The Shores and Buffalo Creek
Parker - borders Plano w/ Pecan Hollow right there
Garland - Firewheel, Oak Ridge, Eastern Hills
Northeast Dallas (close to the above) - Dallas Athletic Club
Plano - on the FAR EAST side is Los Rios
Rowlett - located between Rockwall & Garland is Waterview
There are MANY, MANY more but these are just a few in or near the areas I've mentioned.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:19 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
I've worked in the country club business here in Dallas. Most clubs in the city of Dallas are member-owned. There isn't a whole lot of turnover in general managers. One I worked for was there 20 years. When it came time to replace him they knew a year in advance, a search committee was formed, they interview 5-6 candidates over a 6-8 month period, finally selecting one from out of town. He's been there several years now.

I've also worked at a CCA club (Club Corp) a long time ago. That's a totally different beast and is more about bottom line and profit, unlike the non-profit member owned club. Check out careers at Club Corp here - Private & Public Golf Country Clubs | ClubCorp | Weddings & Social Events. There are quite a few CCA clubs in the metroplex.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:27 PM

86 posts, read 307,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmtl2 View Post
Me and my husband are looking to move to somewhere warmer, and right now anything above 10 degrees would be classified as that. We currently are in Wisconsin, barely over the IL borer. We want a better life for our 2 small boys so that we can actually go outside and enjoy life. We are trying to figure out which state to move to and we are thinking of North carolina, South Carolina or maybe Texas. I have never been there but my husband likes it. Can anyone tell me a little more about why it is nice there?

You cannot go outside and enjoy anything in the summer here. The heat + air pollution will literally take years off your life. You will regret moving here if you're looking for a place where your boys can "go outside and enjoy life." There might be legitimate reasons for moving to Dallas, but this would most definitely absolutely 100% unequivocally NOT be one of them.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfTheSunbelt View Post
You cannot go outside and enjoy anything in the summer here. The heat + air pollution will literally take years off your life. You will regret moving here if you're looking for a place where your boys can "go outside and enjoy life." There might be legitimate reasons for moving to Dallas, but this would most definitely absolutely 100% unequivocally NOT be one of them.
Yep, the waterparks, swimming pools, parks, Six Flags, Dallas Arboretum, golf courses, State Fair.... EVERYTHING during the summer there is not a soul there right.

In reality world those places are PACKED just about every single day all summer long. Well minus the State Fair since it only runs for 3 weeks out of the year.

My kids go outside and enjoy life almost every single day. I wonder how much longer my great grandparents that died well into their 90's would have lived if they were somewhere other than here all their lives. Last one passed in 1995. Same for grandparents that lived from their mid 70's all the way up into their 80's. Gosh, even my own parents seem to be doing good. For a native girl at the ripe old age of 42 is doing pretty darn good w/o any medical problems (rated the highest level possible on life insurance for the physical ).

Old 01-20-2008, 09:35 AM

875 posts, read 1,093,481 times
momof2dfw: 2. 5 minutes and lightheaded - Ladyrogers, You mentioned this was on your balcony. That may very well be the problem. On the typical apt balcony 3 sides are blocked and only 1 side open. Your not getting ANY cross ventilation or air movement at all. Of course that is going to make it that much worse and could very well make someone lightheaded. If you still get lightheaded after being outside in the summer but in an area that is "open" on all sides but in the shade then I would HIGHLY suggest seeking medical attention - SERIOUSLY! We had one of the cabana's rented at Hawaiian Falls last August when it was REALLY HOT and it was fine in the shade and even in the water w/ the sun beating on you floating in the lazy river. Place was PACKED as usual.

ladysrodgers: I have plenty of ventilation the way my balcony is designed, it's U shaped. I'm in a corner unit and sometimes there just isn't any air moving at all. The problem is, the sun is beating down on it all day long and the temperature is probably 5 degrees higher, at least. Even with the umbrella up, it's just too hot for comfort.

You and your family are acclimated to the kind of heat here, I'm not, and neither are many transplants. There is no way I could spend any length of time outside even in the shade, and not start feeling sick. It's not like I'm not used to any heat at all, I love the sun and hot weather, but I'm not used to humidity at all and I think that's the difference.

Of course if I had a river to float in, it wouldn't be a problem even staying in the full sun.

I have no trouble driving in it with the top down on my car - unless I'm stuck in traffic, then again, the air is cooling me down because I'm ringing wet with perspiration....lol

Maybe next summer will be different if we don't have the humidity...I hope so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas