Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 01:48 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
There's a reason DFW isn't/wasn't priced to match those areas ( including scottsdale) to begin with and those reasons have not changed. Making that parallel is way over simplifying a multi faceted issue.

Things cost what they cost for a reason. When they no longer cost what they should based on the underlying reason the price, is indeed, inflated.
I gave an example (Scottsdale) where pricing has normally greatly exceeded what we see in the DFW area.

If you know the reasons why that is, then list them. I think any reasons you give are going to be extremely weak.

Dallas is a city that has a reputation for large homes with a low cost per square ft. The reason for that is because growth has never been a problem. In the 80's, you could buy a home in the Park Cities for an extremely reasonable price compared to today. What happened during that time? All available land downtown was developed. If you want a new house there now, you've gotta knock something else down to do it.

The northern suburbs however, have never had to deal with this. Plano, Frisco, McKinney... the growth just kept pushing north, which neatly avoided an issue of scarcity, and kept prices low.

It's only now, in 2013-2015, with the most desirable areas of Plano built out, that Plano pricing really took off... and I'm speaking as someone who moved there in 1986.

Soon, pricing levels on a $/sqft basis are going to be about on par with most other major cities, excepting cities that have beachfront access or some other major draw. The gap is going to narrow and it's going to stay that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 02:34 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I gave an example (Scottsdale) where pricing has normally greatly exceeded what we see in the DFW area.

If you know the reasons why that is, then list them. I think any reasons you give are going to be extremely weak.

Dallas is a city that has a reputation for large homes with a low cost per square ft. The reason for that is because growth has never been a problem. In the 80's, you could buy a home in the Park Cities for an extremely reasonable price compared to today. What happened during that time? All available land downtown was developed. If you want a new house there now, you've gotta knock something else down to do it.

The northern suburbs however, have never had to deal with this. Plano, Frisco, McKinney... the growth just kept pushing north, which neatly avoided an issue of scarcity, and kept prices low.

It's only now, in 2013-2015, with the most desirable areas of Plano built out, that Plano pricing really took off... and I'm speaking as someone who moved there in 1986.

Soon, pricing levels on a $/sqft basis are going to be about on par with most other major cities, excepting cities that have beachfront access or some other major draw. The gap is going to narrow and it's going to stay that way.
I have listed those reasons ad naeseum on the many threads on here about home prices in the area, i really cant do it again here today as i did so already on another post.

You are entitled to your viewpoints and opinion. My stance on the subject is from a point of no emotion or bias. I work in a related industry and see it differently from most on this thread. At the end of the day i dont have a crystal ball, i deduce based on data and trends.

But... To each his own...

Old 09-18-2015, 09:01 PM

198 posts, read 174,972 times
Price are increasing more than salary increase per year.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:31 PM

817 posts, read 922,764 times
Prices increasing more than salary should cause upward pressure on salaries, which causes a lower demand to locate jobs in the area, which will relieve prices on homes, which will lead to builders cancelling what they haven't sold, which stabilizes the supply, and lowering the price on the houses they must complete.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:42 PM

311 posts, read 450,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by san11 View Post
Price are increasing more than salary increase per year.
Bingo. No one I know is seeing a 10%+ yoy increase in their wages. It's not sustainable in Dallas - it's landlocked, most "comp" cities are on the coast and thus, more desirable. I anticipate somethings gotta give, and it's likely not salaries.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:17 PM

Only person winning is this price rise is realtor and city tax collection.

Realtors are getting 6% easy commission in this market.
Realtors don't have to work too hard in this market. Houses are selling very fast. It's easy money for them
They are the real winners in this market.

Some people are selling their house because of increased tax they have to pay.

Even people living in the same house are paying considerably more tax. That tax hike is now a days more than their yearly pay hike. they are losing in this market too.

On top of these issue traffic is increasing many folds.

Other big winners are big corporations. They got so many incentives from the cities and now everybody is paying in one way or other.

So, winners are Realtors, New corporations and City tax collection .
Losers :- Everybody else.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:24 PM

162 posts, read 195,120 times
Quote:
Only person winning is this price rise is realtor and city tax collection.

Realtors are getting 6% easy commission in this market.
Realtors don't have to work too hard in this market. Houses are selling very fast. It's easy money for them
They are the real winners in this market.

Some people are selling their house because of increased tax they have to pay.

Even people living in the same house are paying considerably more tax. That tax hike is now a days more than their yearly pay hike. they are losing in this market too.

On top of these issue traffic is increasing many folds.

Other big winners are big corporations. They got so many incentives from the cities and now everybody is paying in one way or other.

So, winners are Realtors, New corporations and City tax collection .
Losers :- Everybody else.
I agree almost everything you said, but Buyer Agents actually have to work harder in this seller's market, and we don't get 6% commission in most cases, at best 3% if not lower. Hope this makes you feel better.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:48 PM

By 6 % Realtor easy commission, i mean 3 % for Seller's agent and 3 % for buyers agent.
Yes, Buyers agent have to work little bit, but not that much.

Truth :- Buyer who is really interested in buying home in this market, is actually working more hard in finding the house than buyer's realtor.
To me in this market, Buyer's realtor is a person who just scares the buyer and tell them to overbid.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:24 PM

162 posts, read 195,120 times
Quote:
By 6 % Realtor easy commission, i mean 3 % for Seller's agent and 3 % for buyers agent.
Yes, Buyers agent have to work little bit, but not that much.

Truth :- Buyer who is really interested in buying home in this market, is actually working more hard in finding the house than buyer's realtor.
To me in this market, Buyer's realtor is a person who just scares the buyer and tell them to overbid.
There are many great Buyer's Agent out there, you just need to find one that works for you.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:35 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
I would hope that no one out there is letting their realtor get 6% in this market. We sold our home and our agent got less than 1%, with the understanding that we would be buying a more expensive home where they would get the 3% from the sellers of that home.

Competition for houses works the same way for realtors and their commissions, go with one who is willing to negotiate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas