Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 06:04 PM

30 posts, read 40,017 times

Advertisements

I'd assume it depends on what neighborhood you live in. I know most homes are newer in DFW compared to other large metro areas and it seems it is a trend for newer houses to have a master bedroom down. My house has all bedrooms up, including the master, and I think it is pretty common for my neighborhood (75208).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 03:50 AM

87 posts, read 127,845 times
My new house has master suit and guest suit downstairs but my first house had a master suit upstairs with children's bedrooms and guest suit was downstairs. We look at houses as homes and match with our lifestyle instead of finding a perfect house for next buyer or our future selves, hardly anyone grows old in the same house where they brought their babies.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:42 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,784 times
Sometimes people need help "seeing" the vision. I remember when we were house hunting, one home had little notes around the home pointing out various features and highlighting benefits of the space. I thought it was very clever, as it helped paint a picture of what it would be like to live there. Maybe you could point out some of the benefits you mentioned in your post the same way.

I agree with above poster about making sure the description is right. Buyers are short-sighted...if they walk in expecting one thing, and it's something different...they will most likely move on without even stopping to consider if the "different" is actually better. So better prep beforehand will help. That way buyers who ARE looking for a house like yours can narrow in on it more quickly. Personally, I would have loved the layout of your house when my kids were very young. So, I think it's just targeting the right audience.

Also, are there other elements that might deter buyers?...Busy street? Needs lot of updating? Decor/paint is very style specific? School not great? etc.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:18 AM

772 posts, read 935,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by train_mom View Post
Just wondering as we are in the process of trying to sell our home in McKinney. most houses in our neighborhood (all 5-10 years old, in $300-450k range) are being snapped up like hotcakes

Whereas ours is priced to sell... (it is technically a 1.5 story)
There's your problem... A home in that price range should be a true two story with more space. While you say your house is priced to sell, you need to consider your layout as a detractor vs other homes in the neighborhood and price accordingly... probably needs to be below the average $/sqft of the rest of the neighborhood.

Having the master down is good, but not absolutely necessary. Our last home had the master up and we had several people interested and several offers, so my guess is that it's the 1.5 story that's turning people off.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:45 AM

817 posts, read 922,556 times
We are 2014 transplants from the west, and previously lived in the Chicago area. Having a downstairs master is something that we had not heard of before this area. We have relatives who owned newer houses in Arizona, with the bedrooms upstairs. In California we were told that single story houses got a premium because of the aging population not wanting to walk up stairs. This was a factor even in the 1990s.

Here, we considered a downstairs master bizarre, and a deal breaker. I will agree with two things previously said. First, if your kids are young, you want to be near them. If they are older, you want to supervise them. Second, we are empty nesters now, so if the master is downstairs, then the entire second floor is unused.

We wound up in a two story townhouse with all bedrooms upstairs. We had lived in a single story home in California since 1991, so now in our late 50s, we are climbing stairs. We like the layout and sure don't want to be old enough for the stairs to intimidate us.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:44 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
Here, we considered a downstairs master bizarre, and a deal breaker. .
That's OK as long as you understand the Master Upstairs in most (Non-starter) Family homes is a deal breaker for most people here in TX. Those homes can be on the market 2-3 times longer and go for less. For empty nesters, it means not having to AC the 2nd floor as much thus using less energy.

Townhomes are a different story. Most of their Masters are on the 2nd or 3rd story due to space limitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas