Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 5,421 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I am from Scotland and my lady is Texan ( lives in South Texas in the Rio Grande Valley)

We are looking to be together and it looks as if I will be moving to Texas in order for us to be together. Any thoughts or opinions on life in South Texas? Is it a good place to stay? Are there good employment opportunities and is it expensive to rent or buy property?

All responses welcome.

Marty ( OMD1975)

Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMD1975 View Post
Hi folks,

I am from Scotland and my lady is Texan ( lives in South Texas in the Rio Grande Valley)

We are looking to be together and it looks as if I will be moving to Texas in order for us to be together. Any thoughts or opinions on life in South Texas? Is it a good place to stay? Are there good employment opportunities and is it expensive to rent or buy property?

All responses welcome.

Marty ( OMD1975)
You would be better served if you posted a new thread in the Texas forum. Texas is a huge state and the distance from Dallas to the Rio Grande Valley is greater than the distance between London and Aberdeen (507 miles from Dallas to McAllen vs 398 miles).

But congrats on moving to TX, it's a great place to live!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:02 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Many of us who grew up in Dallas have never even been to South Texas. I've only been to Padre Island, King Ranch, Brownsville/Matamoros and Falfurrias (oil business). I'm not sure if Corpus even counts as South Texas.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:43 AM

12 posts, read 55,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Many of us who grew up in Dallas have never even been to South Texas. I've only been to Padre Island, King Ranch, Brownsville/Matamoros and Falfurrias (oil business). I'm not sure if Corpus even counts as South Texas.
Thats hilarious! I was thinking the same thing just the other day! I am living in central Texas right now down from Dallas and wow...what a change. You can't look at the state on a whole...need specific regions. Personally I like DFW the most (call me biased for living there all my life until now), but Huston is hot and nasty almost always, Austin is too small (for me), El Paso is a border town and privy to a lot of problems that other border towns have. San Antonio is the only other metro area I like, but having never lived there I can't really vouch for it. But yea....make sure to realize each region has its own different feel. I have driven 14 hours and still been in this state!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:41 PM

808 posts, read 3,648,399 times
Quote:
As a native Corpus Christian who now lives in Dallas...Corpus is definitely South Texas. San Antonio, on the other hand...

Old 02-13-2008, 02:15 AM

158 posts, read 582,030 times
Smile Friendliness ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
I guess living in an apartment has more than one draw-back - I really "wished" I lived in a housing neighborhood, for all the reasons you described above.

I moved to the burbs of Dallas (from another state) and haven't really found the people "in this area" to be very friendly. I do live in a large apartment complex so I understand that is part of the problem, and to be expected.

I'm glad you and your mother have had such a nice experience.
Curious, where do you live exactly in Texas? You stated that the people in your area aren't very friendly; I'd like to stay away from wherever that may be (although unfriendly people crop up just about everywhere.) We are moving to North Texas. Thoughts on the friendliness scale there?

Old 02-13-2008, 09:18 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
The friendly areas are where the most natives live, not the passer-throughs, corporate nomads and transplants. In Central Dallas, Richardson and Garland you will find many natives. We were raised to be 'friendly' - it is part of the Texas ethos.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:11 PM

158 posts, read 582,030 times
Unhappy Transplants deserve friendliness too!

Quote:
The friendly areas are where the most natives live, not the passer-throughs, corporate nomads and transplants. In Central Dallas, Richardson and Garland you will find many natives. We were raised to be 'friendly' - it is part of the Texas ethos.
So much talk about natives Vs. transplants. It really isn't a battle you can win, Lakewooder. Either way, people like the state of Texas and are moving there whether you are going to be kind to them or judge them for being "corporate nomads", "passer-throughs", and "transplants." When you are offered a decent paying job in a nice community, with good morals & values, condusive to families, etc, etc, you can't fault people for wanting to be a part of that.

Bless your heart for the pride you feel for Texas! I admire that. I just don't think you realize how you are perceived. Forgive my directness, but I shoot from the hip, you sound like a snob.

To clarify, I was asking someone else where the friendliest people are, not where I could find the most natives! Your post was mis-directed. I'd actually like to hear from the lady I addressed, specifically. In your defense, I know these posts can be difficult to gage sometimes.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:28 PM

3 posts, read 11,220 times
As a retired Paramedic/Firefighter, I have been in thousands of homes and met tens of thousands of people who chose to live in the suburban area North of Dallas. I can honestly say that I never once met someone who is as miserable as WHY!
As a professional Realtor, I can tell you that the answer to your questions is very complicated, depending on your specific situation. What are your priorities?
Do you have children in school?
What is your budget for housing?
Is public transportation important to you?
What are your recreational priorities? We have some beautiful lakes, golf courses, health & fitness opportunities, etc.
What is your time frame for moving?

There is a reason our housing and standard of living remains strong even with all the news of the "housing crisis." People are choosing to move here by the thousands from all over the world. We have a desirable climate and a very hospitable social network.

I might suggest to you that WHY's attitude might be the root of his difficult time.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:41 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRUs View Post
So much talk about natives Vs. transplants. It really isn't a battle you can win, Lakewooder. Either way, people like the state of Texas and are moving there whether you are going to be kind to them or judge them for being "corporate nomads", "passer-throughs", and "transplants." When you are offered a decent paying job in a nice community, with good morals & values, condusive to families, etc, etc, you can't fault people for wanting to be a part of that.

Bless your heart for the pride you feel for Texas! I admire that. I just don't think you realize how you are perceived. Forgive my directness, but I shoot from the hip, you sound like a snob.

To clarify, I was asking someone else where the friendliest people are, not where I could find the most natives! Your post was mis-directed. I'd actually like to hear from the lady I addressed, specifically. In your defense, I know these posts can be difficult to gage sometimes.
The poster I believe you are trying to find out where she lives is no longer a member. She moved here from out of state in the PNW region of the country after a nasty divorce to live near a grown son of hers. She was living in an apartment complex in Plano so that probably explains a LOT!

Lakewooder did say that there are certain areas where one will find more natives and less transplants and those areas are pretty accurate. Inside the LBJ loop around Lakewood, MStreets, Lake Highlands, etc and just about anywhere else w/in the city limits of Dallas. As for suburbs which ones have more Texas Natives it would still be Richardson & Garland. Richardson will be mostly the older areas and Garland would be the entire city although there are still plenty of people from other states and countries. I've lived in Garland for 15 years and a lot of the people here know each other. They grrew up here, went off to school, came back, married and settled down here to raise their family. Like I told my mother after they moved to Garland last year from the burb I grew up in here in the metroplex, "DO NOT say ANYTHING bad about ANYONE in Garland as they all know each other". LOL!!! But they treat you just like you did too so I LOVE IT!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas