Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 10:13 PM

8 posts, read 110,496 times

Advertisements

Hi All. My wife and I have recently moved here from Northern California. We just bought a home in Northern Plano. We have a choice of 16 power companies to supply our electricity, most offering multiple plans (variable vs. fixed pricing, 0 - 36 months terms, green vs. brown energy). This is too much for my tiny head. I've spent a lot of time on the "Texas Electric Choice" WEB site, but what I can't figure out is how reputable any of the companies are when it comes to service and their pricing schemes. Can anybody help me make an informed choice? Help! Thanks.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:39 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,860 times
Oh man, and don't try calling one of those 1-800 numbers to talk about various plans because it will switch you overseas to someone reading a script.

It was frustrating. The contracts are very complicated when it comes to paying for electrons and the value added services associated with getting those electrons onto a wire that goes into your house. Why something so simple had to become orders of magnitude more complicated is beyond me.

I say we turn em all back into municipals.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:10 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,145,060 times
I'd also consider CoServ, (http://www.coserv.com/) the old Denton Electric Co-op. They service much of Plano, and have rates that tend to run a penny or two below everyone at http://www.powertochoose.org/, plus being a co-op they're not in it for the money.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:22 AM

12 posts, read 255,428 times
Anyone have any experience with using a "green energy" provider? From what I can tell, there are some who are only a couple of cents more than the other companies out there, which I think is worth it. However, I don't know if there's any kind of trade-off (besides price) for using one of these green companies.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:53 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,860 times
It looks like where I'm moving (75071) 'Gexa' is the cheapest electron provider on the block (Co-Serv was not listed)

http://www.gexaenergy.com/en/residential/moving.aspx (broken link)

.103/kWh

Anyone heard of these guys ?

My bills are so cheap here in the Apartment that it hasn't been worth changing over. I switched plans with TXU and that was actually painful because the person on the phone had a thick accent and was reading from a script.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
I'd also consider CoServ, (http://www.coserv.com/) the old Denton Electric Co-op. They service much of Plano, and have rates that tend to run a penny or two below everyone at http://www.powertochoose.org/, plus being a co-op they're not in it for the money.
Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't look like they cover my 75024 zip code, but I'll call them tomorrow and double check. I like the idea of a co-op vs. a standard power company.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:52 PM

Hi, can anybody give me any guidance on the question of Variable vs. fix rates? It seems that the charge per kWh would be cheapest during the time that we use the least amount of energy and go up as my consumption goes up. I don't know if I like this formula, unless cost change is not huge during the summer. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:23 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Anyone heard of these guys ?
I tried to use them when Reliant changed my plan but Gexa never responded. I went with Dynowatt and am just waiting for my Texas property to sell so I can quit the Texas electricity foolishness.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:13 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,145,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
It looks like where I'm moving (75071) 'Gexa' is the cheapest electron provider on the block (Co-Serv was not listed)
Co-Serv's not listed on the http://www.powertochoose.org/ website.
Welcome to the Texas Electric Choice website, where you can choose the Retail Electric Provider that's right for you.
Co-Serv's not a retail provider.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:24 AM

197 posts, read 1,138,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat220 View Post
Hi, can anybody give me any guidance on the question of Variable vs. fix rates? It seems that the charge per kWh would be cheapest during the time that we use the least amount of energy and go up as my consumption goes up. I don't know if I like this formula, unless cost change is not huge during the summer. Thanks.
Variable rates vary based on the cost of electrical generation per month (natural gas cost is the primary factor in that). It has nothing to do with the time of day you consume it. So, you take a gamble that gas won't rise drastically. And that is a good gamble right now.

They cannot measure that minute or hourly detail yet, but TXU is installing meters now in east/central Dallas that will, in future, enable them to do that -- if allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas