Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 08:51 AM

213 posts, read 241,329 times

Advertisements

Newman village is zoned for lone star. I am aware of that. Why do you think Newman doesn't give more for your money? I am okay with getting something older than 2010. Can you suggest neighborhoods that fit my criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 08:59 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,181,468 times
I think Shaddock Creek (the house in the link I posted earlier is in that neighborhood), Heather Ridge, Griffin Parc, and Eldorado Fairways at the Trails will give you homes in the size you are wanting at the price point you are interested in. I believe they are all zoned to Wakeland. Most of those homes were built between 2000-2007.

You could also look around the Trails (large neighborhood) and Christie Ranch, although the latter might be out of your budget. I'm not sure of the school zoning for those.

The reason I think Newman Village isn't a good value is because the cheapest house in that neighborhood currently is right at $600k and it's a 3 bedroom with 2700 square feet. You can get something with 4-5 bedrooms in an older neighborhood with at least 1,000 square feet more for less. I think the HOA dues are also a bit pricey at $900 semi-annually.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:55 AM

40,971 posts, read 49,295,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkett View Post
I am okay with getting something older than 2010. Can you suggest neighborhoods that fit my criteria?
Just get your agent to specify the particular school you want in your MLS feed. That will show you what's available.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:14 AM

789 posts, read 1,228,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I think Shaddock Creek (the house in the link I posted earlier is in that neighborhood), Heather Ridge, Griffin Parc, and Eldorado Fairways at the Trails will give you homes in the size you are wanting at the price point you are interested in. I believe they are all zoned to Wakeland. Most of those homes were built between 2000-2007.

You could also look around the Trails (large neighborhood) and Christie Ranch, although the latter might be out of your budget. I'm not sure of the school zoning for those.

The reason I think Newman Village isn't a good value is because the cheapest house in that neighborhood currently is right at $600k and it's a 3 bedroom with 2700 square feet. You can get something with 4-5 bedrooms in an older neighborhood with at least 1,000 square feet more for less. I think the HOA dues are also a bit pricey at $900 semi-annually.
Also can depend on which amenities are most important to a buyer, since 'good value' can be subjective. Yes, a house can have 1K more square feet, but it could be built by a less reputable builder or not have as high quality of a finish-out as a smaller home.

I think Newman Village is commanding a premium for smaller homes because there is A) New construction in the community B) high-end production builders or custom builders only C) architectural variation

Also, Newman Village is the only community in that general area that is gated. The gated entrance and amenities require a higher HOA due, as the only other gated neighborhoods are further South in the Stonebriar / Starwood area.

If your criteria skews heavily toward some of the items above (as ours did), NV is probably going to be a better option. If your criteria is simply to get the biggest house you can get for the price, one of the surrounding subdivisions would be a better fit.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:05 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,181,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
Also can depend on which amenities are most important to a buyer, since 'good value' can be subjective. Yes, a house can have 1K more square feet, but it could be built by a less reputable builder or not have as high quality of a finish-out as a smaller home.

I think Newman Village is commanding a premium for smaller homes because there is A) New construction in the community B) high-end production builders or custom builders only C) architectural variation

Also, Newman Village is the only community in that general area that is gated. The gated entrance and amenities require a higher HOA due, as the only other gated neighborhoods are further South in the Stonebriar / Starwood area.

If your criteria skews heavily toward some of the items above (as ours did), NV is probably going to be a better option. If your criteria is simply to get the biggest house you can get for the price, one of the surrounding subdivisions would be a better fit.
That is completely true. I was going with the assumption that the OP wanted a larger sized house, since that seems to be what we typically see on this forum.

I agree with the builders. When we were looking in 2009, we came across a few houses that were really poorly constructed (mostly in the Grayhawk neighborhood). OP, make sure you look at the builder when you are buying a house, even if it is older. My entire neighborhood was built by Highland, which most people think highly of. Darling and Drees are also top builders. I think there are some Highland and Darling homes in Heather Ridge. Goodman (they built the Sugar Mill home I posted) were also well-regarded at the time. I think they were bought out by another company a few years ago.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:15 PM

127 posts, read 165,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
That is completely true. I was going with the assumption that the OP wanted a larger sized house, since that seems to be what we typically see on this forum.

I agree with the builders. When we were looking in 2009, we came across a few houses that were really poorly constructed (mostly in the Grayhawk neighborhood). OP, make sure you look at the builder when you are buying a house, even if it is older. My entire neighborhood was built by Highland, which most people think highly of. Darling and Drees are also top builders. I think there are some Highland and Darling homes in Heather Ridge. Goodman (they built the Sugar Mill home I posted) were also well-regarded at the time. I think they were bought out by another company a few years ago.
Bigger isn't necessarily better. Highland, Drees and Goodman build solid homes. When Khov moved to DFW, they bought Goodman to take advantage of their trustworthy reputation. I can't say if Khov is as trustworthy and solid as Goodman but so far they seem to be doing well. Highland has a sister company Huntigton, which builds custom homes.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:30 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,912,196 times
you may like craig ranch, still zoned for frisco isd, but that community does have a different feel to it. But yeah...650k seems to be the buy in for the hot communities. Depending on what square footage you are expecting...you may need to e-evaluate your budget. You may like the mainvue section of phillips creek, but again, buy in is about 650k I think.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:54 PM

213 posts, read 241,329 times
Ok so about builders. I like Landon homes' plans the most. Are they reputable builders. I like the open concept but they aren't building a lot. I checked out Preserves and Richwoods. I love their floor plans. Richwood isn't West Frisco and sadly The Preserves is LISD.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:19 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,912,196 times
google landon reviews and you will get your answer. Why are you set on west frisco? All the FISD schools are the same. the most talked about are actually in the east. Liberty, centennial and independence to follow. Wakeland and Reedy are talked about the west.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:44 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,775,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
google landon reviews and you will get your answer. Why are you set on west frisco? All the FISD schools are the same. the most talked about are actually in the east. Liberty, centennial and independence to follow. Wakeland and Reedy are talked about the west.
Are the Demographic the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas