Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:38 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,786 times

Advertisements

And to emphasize what Mom said, Lake Highlands High School just finished a vocational addition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 02:42 PM

200 posts, read 633,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Dallas can be a feast or famine when it comes to IT employment, especially when it's narrowed down to a specific skill-set required. Personally, I would NEVER move to a new area without a job. That said, if you're really interested, post your resume on all the job sites, i.e., Monster.com, Jobs.com, Careerbuilder.com & Dice.com. Use Indeed.com to see what jobs are listed in the area and start applying.

Good luck!
I'm still pretty young and single so I figured I don't have much to lose if I do move down before I find employment. I'm going save up at least 3-4 months for living expenses if nothing else and pay off my car note so I have one less expense to worry about. I'm shooting more towards a system admin type of job or something similar. I'm working on my MCSE certification (if any of you are familiar with that) I have my A+ and Network+ already.

Most likely the type of IT job I'm looking for would be entry level or intermediate leaning more towards intermediate. I work for a company now doing IT field support dealing mainly with Windows XP and Window 2003 servers with a little bit of everything else in between. If I start running out of money I figured I would apply for anything at that point and still just look for an IT job. I have one family member that lives down there but I don't know them to well quite yet. I'm also a skater and I know quite a few people down there that skates but a lot of them don't work in corporate type of environments lol.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:50 PM

123 posts, read 534,349 times
Well in you're interested in shift work, then there are plenty of manufacturing places that you could work. One example would be my old workplace Texas Instruments. The IS guys "occasionally" have to go into the fab, but not daily. The shifts that they work there are 3 days on 4 days off, then 4 days on 3 days off. They are 12 hour shifts beginning and ending at 7, the am or pm depends on what shift you're on. I can also tell you from personal experience that the pay practices at TI are exceptional. They pay you OT for anything over 8 hours in a day. You are scheduled for 12 hours so you automatically get 4 hours of OT everyday. So if you were to make let's say $23/hour that would bring you home around $80+k per year. Or, you could go salary, but I definitely wouldn't recommend that. Those guys get screwed. Hopefully some of this info will help. Good luck...

Old 02-07-2008, 11:26 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
If you have friends/family in the area - forward your resume out using their address as yours (many companies don't want to hire and relocate). Then, align your interviews into a single week and come stay with said family/friend. At the very least, you'll be able to dip your toe into the market without moving here to see if the market is acceptable. What niche in IT are you in?
You beat me to it. One thing to add is, you can get a VoIP number in the Dallas area... and put that on your resume... and use that from anywhere, even forward it to your cell phone.

If they like you and make you an offer, ask about relo. But only do it after they are interested... otherwise you can put them off. Now if you're in a high demand job, it could be a different story.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsmoore View Post
I'm still pretty young and single so I figured I don't have much to lose if I do move down before I find employment. I'm going save up at least 3-4 months for living expenses if nothing else and pay off my car note so I have one less expense to worry about. I'm shooting more towards a system admin type of job or something similar. I'm working on my MCSE certification (if any of you are familiar with that) I have my A+ and Network+ already.

Most likely the type of IT job I'm looking for would be entry level or intermediate leaning more towards intermediate. I work for a company now doing IT field support dealing mainly with Windows XP and Window 2003 servers with a little bit of everything else in between. If I start running out of money I figured I would apply for anything at that point and still just look for an IT job. I have one family member that lives down there but I don't know them to well quite yet. I'm also a skater and I know quite a few people down there that skates but a lot of them don't work in corporate type of environments lol.
The entry level jobs here don't seem to pay too well. I see jobs paying like $15 an hour for PC Tech jobs... which seems a little low. If you already have a job, I would suggest staying there a little while longer, but get into the position that you want to be hired into. Few companies will hire you to do a specific job just because you think you're qualified... but if you already work somewhere, you can often schmooze your way into the better jobs.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:31 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
The entry level jobs here don't seem to pay too well. I see jobs paying like $15 an hour for PC Tech jobs... which seems a little low. If you already have a job, I would suggest staying there a little while longer, but get into the position that you want to be hired into. Few companies will hire you to do a specific job just because you think you're qualified... but if you already work somewhere, you can often schmooze your way into the better jobs.
GEEZ!!! We start guys off higher than that and these are even the jobs that don't require any college.

Tellin ya, the so called "white collar" work doesn't pay as well as a lot of "blue collar" jobs.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:38 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
GEEZ!!! We start guys off higher than that and these are even the jobs that don't require any college.

Tellin ya, the so called "white collar" work doesn't pay as well as a lot of "blue collar" jobs.
Full ack! I don't understand why so many people want to join the white collar crowd. Just look at electricians/plumbers/AC-service/roofer bills and you'll see that there is money to be made. I don't think I've ever paid less than $500 for an AC service call..... (and those can't get outsourced halfway around the world).

Old 02-08-2008, 09:50 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Full ack! I don't understand why so many people want to join the white collar crowd. Just look at electricians/plumbers/AC-service/roofer bills and you'll see that there is money to be made. I don't think I've ever paid less than $500 for an AC service call..... (and those can't get outsourced halfway around the world).
Just try to find a locksmith. It is INSANE!!! No one wants to do the "dirty jobs" anymore. (shaking head). Even my own truck driving father was making in the $90K's a year over a decade ago. Know why most of these trucking companies are hiring semi-retired people? Because they are qualified (CDL), SHOW UP, DO THE WORK and can pass a drug test. Blows my mind everyday. My semi-retired dad gets at least 1 call a week from a company that he may have put in an app at sometime in the last 5 years.

I don't want this to get into a discussion about illegal immigration........ but pretty soon if our own citizens don't face up and start realizing these jobs pay well and are STEADY employment it will be the illegals taking them. If it gets down to it I can't say I'd half blame the companies for hiring them. Afterall the company is trying to stay in business, has orders to fill, goods to ship. The business can be a very strong one and have a hard time finding employees that will work and don't mind getting their hands a little bit dirty sometimes. If no one else is putting in app's and your putting out the word in every way possible that you have job openings........ what are you to do? You hire those that are willing to do the work. For MANY years the "Middle Class" in America consisted of the "blue collar" worker. He was the worker that had a steady job, set hours, no travel away from home, good pay, good benefits and retirement.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

Well... that's an entry level job, rarely is college required. If you specialize, like me and the Mrs, it pays really well. You just have to start somewhere.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:51 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,763,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
BINGO! You haven't seen anything yet, just wait until the Dems take office
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas