Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2016, 08:40 AM

424 posts, read 668,715 times

Advertisements

I work off of 635 and MacArthur and have 2 young kids. We were hoping to live in the La Villita area, but sadly that area will be out of our price range. The main attraction (other than being near work) was the big lake, trails, and multiple playgrounds.

Is there a neighborhood not too far away that fits that bill? I don't want to have a long commute. We drove around Coppell and Valley Ranch, but we're not sure we want to spend >$350K on an old, outdated house in a desirable ISD when we could get a "newer" house a little further out in a less desirable ISD and do private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 09:00 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
The problem is that most private schools are not out in the outer suburbs. Aside from Catholic schools, and a few other Christian schools, most of the big private schools are within the 635/820 loops. So, unless you are looking specifically for Christian schools, or your spouse is willing to make lengthy commutes twice a day to pick up/drop off, private schools aren't likely going to work for you.

How long of a commute are you willing to endure every day? There are planned communities in Keller and Lantana that have what you are looking for, including good public schools, but those will likely be 45 minutes to an hour each way.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:37 AM

I don't want to live TOO far out. Right now my commute is about 20-30 minutes each way.

We wouldn't mind living in North Dallas if the school is good and work isn't miserably far. Also Catholic schools are fine too.

We just want to get out of the bedroom community environment. I'd actually like to know my neighbors and see other kids playing outside, see families take a walk, etc

Old 01-31-2016, 09:47 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
Start applying to the Uplift school asap so you can live anywhere and kids can attend near work. Its a top rated school and it will be like winning the lottery if your kid gets in. Totally free, top education and second kid in family goes to head of the line when she becomes school aged.

North HIlls in Las Colinas.
Uplift North Hills / Overview

Old 01-31-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Start applying to the Uplift school asap so you can live anywhere and kids can attend near work. Its a top rated school and it will be like winning the lottery if your kid gets in. Totally free, top education and second kid in family goes to head of the line when she becomes school aged.

North HIlls in Las Colinas.
Uplift North Hills / Overview
I thought of this. Both of my kids currently attend a Montessori across from La Villita and my oldest will be there for another year and half (I could apply now and maybe she'd get in by 2018 school year?) But the homes in the area are just not in our budget. We COULD possibly afford one of those cute townhouse/condos in La Villita, but my husband's not convinced it's a smart decision regarding resell value. I, on the other hand, think that a better quality of life (access to trails, lots of other kiddos, parks, right by work) wins in that argument.

Downside is if we live elsewhere and she attends Uplift in Irving, it's a heck of a commute with kids in the car. Not something I'd prefer to do honestly. Long commute=tired, cranky kids=stressed, overwhelmed mom. Not fun; I'm doing this now.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:12 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
Many neighborhoods all over DFW have lots of families, a nearby playground or park, etc. The problem is that your price range isn't going to get new construction unless you are willing to drive a long way. Either you will have to buy an existing house that needs some updates, increase your price range, or drive further. It's a trade off. North Dallas will be even more expensive due to the desirable location.

The charter school is a great idea. Just have a contingency plan in case your child doesn't get in.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:17 AM

Look into University Hiils area. There's a gated community with newer houses with sometimes houses about $350k. Near Rochelle & Northgate. Beautiful linear park in that area ngreatlacemto walk around today.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the feedback There are SO many factors to juggle.

Does anyone have an opinion on buying a townhouse/condo in La Villita and resell value? Or should I start a separate post on this?

Old 01-31-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Look into University Hiils area. There's a gated community with newer houses with sometimes houses about $350k. Near Rochelle & Northgate. Beautiful linear park in that area ngreatlacemto walk around today.
I've lived in Irving for a long time and thought I knew every neighborhood. Never heard of this one!! Thanks for the suggestion. ((off to research University Hills))

Old 01-31-2016, 10:33 AM

THE HILLS ARE ALIVE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas