Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 05:23 PM

577 posts, read 461,008 times

Advertisements

I, too, think it's wiser to just rent for a year, and get a feel for the area before buying. DFW is massive and, you're right about Toyota moving here and the Facebook data center, but, because DFW is so big and sprawled out, that may not necessarily have that much of an impact on where you are looking to live.

If you rent for a year, you'll be much more knowledgeable on the metroplex and find something you love. Worst case scenario is that housing prices go up another 8-10%, which isn't THAT big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

I think the time to buy was 3-5 years ago. I'm not saying prices couldn't continue to rise, but seeing as how we've had record breaking numbers the past few years, I'm a little doubtful this trend will continue for very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 05:47 PM

40,999 posts, read 49,430,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09990 View Post
I'm glad you're not my Agent then. Geez. Way to have the "Can't be done" attitude! 315k for 2300 sq ft isn't hard to find! I'm a buyer. I have "portal access". There are many areas to choose from. Not all "new construction". Not all "short commute". But it's possible if she prioritizes her must haves.
Most people have a specific area (s) they need to be and can't be all over the area. I (and other agents) deal with clients who are making offer after offer going 10% above list and still can't get a contract on a house. If they get a home under contract, then it does not appraise and they have to come up with the extra $20-30k in cash just to get a loan.

Sorry but this is the realistic market today. Talk to other agents, they are very negative about the current situation also. A home $315k and below will probably get 10-15 offers (or more) right now, especially in the better school districts.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:58 PM

537 posts, read 601,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Lewisville, Valley Ranch or probably Little Elm.
Older areas would include Bedford.

You may not be buying at the high point but the low point. We have 2-3 more years (at least) of jobs and people moving into DFW.
Yup, prices seem to be consistently going up still, and I don't see a reason why it will stop in the next two years. The increase in prices in my neighborhood have actually been accelerating in the past year. If you're going to buy and feel comfortable committing to a place for 5+ years, then do buy now before they go even higher. I bought my house a year ago, and in less than one year I'm already financially ahead of where I would be had I decided to rent - yes, and that includes closing costs if I were to sell right now.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:36 PM

24 posts, read 25,467 times
Default Overpriced

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayTexan View Post
No offense but this home is overpriced big time. 182 per sqft and for Frisco schools...
I agree and the sad thing is that they will get close to that price.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:48 AM

19 posts, read 23,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayTexan View Post
Toyota is known but where did you hear about Facebook, Microsoft, and AT&T? Are they moving people to the Dallas area?
when i spoke with my agent in florida, she anecdotally mentioned: why is everybody moving to dallas? i have people that are moving with microsoft an at&t.
a friend in dallas mentioned facebook openning offices there too. i see someone already mentioned their data center.
i googled for more info but did not find any.
didn't mean to start a rumor. i am basing my comments on those conversations.

Last edited by pelucula; 04-14-2016 at 06:06 AM..

Old 04-14-2016, 05:51 AM

19 posts, read 23,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
How many of the cheerleaders here, who are telling you "buy now, before prices go even higher" are:

1) real estate agents, or:
2) people who recently bought a house and are thus invested in prices going even higher, or:
3) people with big home equity loans or lines of credit

??????

Think about it.
good point!
coming from florida....i know how a little about how the bubble slowly builds.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:59 AM

794 posts, read 1,233,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Facebook is opening a large data center in Fort Worth; will have little impact on Dallas side of the metoplex.

AT&T is already headquartered in downtown Dallas. They relocated from San Antonio about a decade ago.

She is wrong about Microsoft though- nothing.
Agree on FB - large data center in north Fort Worth. I have heard "only" about 100-200 jobs though.

AT&T is already headquartered in Dallas, but they have said they are going to buikd a new campus in North Texas to consolidate theor regional employees. It could increase the number of employees in Dallas, drawing from other parts of the metroplex. However, I have also heard they are considering other parts of the metroplex.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:56 AM

371 posts, read 555,901 times
No problem. Was just checking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelucula View Post
when i spoke with my agent in florida, she anecdotally mentioned: why is everybody moving to dallas? i have people that are moving with microsoft an at&t.
a friend in dallas mentioned facebook openning offices there too. i see someone already mentioned their data center.
i googled for more info but did not find any.
didn't mean to start a rumor. i am basing my comments on those conversations.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:14 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,672,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
1. I qualify in my limited response to OP. I stated the next 2-3 years we should continue to see a heavy migration of people coming into TX from many higher priced states.

It's actually extremely difficult for folks like OP to buy a house right now and I'd actually like to see the market soften somewhat. I've almost given up working with many buyers due to the difficulty.

Personally, I don't see any sign of this mess stopping in the next 24-36 months. Beyond that who knows.

It's easy to blast a RE Agent for just speaking the truth. I actually dislike this market, it's very unbalanced.
So true. On the new homes side, I pray we see pricing stabilize some. Right now developers cant keep up with the amount of land that needs to be developed,and develop time is taking sooooo much longer then it used to. I have been pre selling a community. About to go into model, when we get there next week we will be down to 7 lots, and the developer hasnt even broker ground on next phase, so we will have about a year gap. We have so many realtors bringing in frustrated buyers who have been outbid on pre existing and have given up to go with new build.

People think that being in sales its all great. Its not.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:16 AM

24,860 posts, read 11,294,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post
So true. On the new homes side, I pray we see pricing stabilize some. Right now developers cant keep up with the amount of land that needs to be developed,and develop time is taking sooooo much longer then it used to. I have been pre selling a community. About to go into model, when we get there next week we will be down to 7 lots, and the developer hasnt even broker ground on next phase, so we will have about a year gap. We have so many realtors bringing in frustrated buyers who have been outbid on pre existing and have given up to go with new build.

People think that being in sales its all great. Its not.
What price range are buyers looking at in this new development?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas