Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 06:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayTexan View Post
No offense - but schools don't have deans ).
Huh?

They sure do have deans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 07:11 AM

23 posts, read 36,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayTexan View Post
No offense - but schools don't have deans and I seriously doubt any senior administrator in a school would admit to a drug problem in the school.

From what I know, Centennial is a perfectly good high school (though Liberty is probably the best high school in Frisco).
I got this info from my husband who talked to his co worker about the schools in FISD. It is possible that he said Dean but meant another title. Our children's school has 4 Deans. Maybe it is just their school or maybe it's just schools in Michigan. Anyway, I just wanted to hear from locals to see if they could further expound on this.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:45 AM

371 posts, read 553,678 times
Fair enough. Like I said, AFAIK, Centennial is a perfectly decent high school and like others have said, the drug problem is not any better or worse than other Frisco high schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmylife View Post
I got this info from my husband who talked to his co worker about the schools in FISD. It is possible that he said Dean but meant another title. Our children's school has 4 Deans. Maybe it is just their school or maybe it's just schools in Michigan. Anyway, I just wanted to hear from locals to see if they could further expound on this.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:25 PM

159 posts, read 277,626 times
I'm a counselor that works in the Frisco/McKinney area and in my practice I've seen students that go to several of the high schools in Frisco and it's not a drug in school problem per se more so the students having access to drugs at home and from friends and naturally they take them to school and share them. Like another poster said, I wouldn't say it's better or worse than any other high school but it is happening and I'd have to say across the board.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:43 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmylife View Post
Planning on moving to Frisco, TX from Michigan. Trying to choose an area with a great high school. Does anyone know about Centennial High School? My husband has a co worker who is also moving to Frisco. She visited all the high schools and was told by the Dean of Centennial that the school has a drug problem. Any info would be helpful. Thanks
Texas public schools do not have deans. They have principals and counselors. If she spoke with the Dean of Centennial High School, then I have to question how factual her statement is altogether.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:04 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Texas public schools do not have deans. They have principals and counselors. If she spoke with the Dean of Centennial High School, then I have to question how factual her statement is altogether.
good lord, get over yourself. OP already said that she was probably appropriating a term that's used where she is from. the role of "dean" is very common around the country. if the term isn't used down here it doesn't mean that the function doesn't exist. MOVE ON. are you trying to deny that there more than likely is lots of drug use at the school just because it's well regarded? why wouldn't a principal be honest about drug issues if asked?

Old 05-18-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
good lord, get over yourself. OP already said that she was probably appropriating a term that's used where she is from. the role of "dean" is very common around the country. if the term isn't used down here it doesn't mean that the function doesn't exist. MOVE ON. are you trying to deny that there more than likely is lots of drug use at the school just because it's well regarded? why wouldn't a principal be honest about drug issues if asked?
A principal saying that their school has a drug problem could be fired. I don't know about Frisco schools, but I have heard that school districts restrict what school staff members are allowed to talk about. If you ask the question, either the principal refers you to the district spokesperson or they recite the answer that the spokesperson/legal team has prepared. The Plano PTA even restricted what PTAs around the district could say about the just passed bond election. Why would a principal risk their job over someone from out of state just taking a tour? Their number one priority is to protect the district; protecting and educating their students is a subset of that job. Saying that your school has a drug problem could really hurt the principal, school, the district, and the city.

So, we are getting the info third hand (co-worker to husband to OP to us) and we know that part of the message is garbled. Why should I not question other parts of the premise?

I am not a Frisco ISD cheer leader, but I have never heard that they have any kind of drug problem. I can't say that I have heard that any school is drug free, but that is a looooong way from a drug problem.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Really?
Went to PSHS.
Had a dean.
Go figure.
He was Doyle Dean. We called him Dean Dean.

Maybe they've changed the names recently.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:05 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,461 times
Quote:
A principal saying that their school has a drug problem could be fired. I don't know about Frisco schools, but I have heard that school districts restrict what school staff members are allowed to talk about. If you ask the question, either the principal refers you to the district spokesperson or they recite the answer that the spokesperson/legal team has prepared. The Plano PTA even restricted what PTAs around the district could say about the just passed bond election. Why would a principal risk their job over someone from out of state just taking a tour? Their number one priority is to protect the district; protecting and educating their students is a subset of that job. Saying that your school has a drug problem could really hurt the principal, school, the district, and the city.

So, we are getting the info third hand (co-worker to husband to OP to us) and we know that part of the message is garbled. Why should I not question other parts of the premise?

I am not a Frisco ISD cheer leader, but I have never heard that they have any kind of drug problem. I can't say that I have heard that any school is drug free, but that is a looooong way from a drug problem.
Then let me inform you that there is a drug problem at ANY affluent high school in the area, and around the country. Typically, the more money, the more drugs.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Really?
Went to PSHS.
Had a dean.
Go figure.
He was Doyle Dean. We called him Dean Dean.

Maybe they've changed the names recently.
I went to PSHS. We did have Mr. Doyle Dean, but there was no title of dean. The Dallas Morning News story when he retired shows him as Principal of PSHS, and never mentioned the title of Dean.

Looking at the current PSHS website, they have the Principal, two Associate Principals, and Sub-School Principals. No where on that site do I find a dean listed.

Perhaps you thought that Dean Dean was real when it was only a joke. /That's a joke son. ~ Foghorn Leghorn/

Looking at the Centennial High web site, they don't list "Dean" as any administration/staff position either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas