Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 01:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 18,122,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Anybody who thinks they should have built this in downtown Dallas is out of their mind. Imagine the Yankees or Giants Stadium in Manhattan. It should never happen. It speaks volumes about a city's current property valuation, desirability, or lack thereof. I can understand south Dallas or any areas with low property taxes because they make sense, but not Downtown or any part close to the core.
Fairpark and areas close, the area around the Belmont, somewhere between 35 and Industrial and several others places have been mentioned. No one is talking about moving Belo-Gardens or the courthouse for a baseball park.

And for the record The Colorado Rockies play in Coors Field within easy walking distance of DT-Denver and it's awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 08:57 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,411,379 times
I love how the overwhelming majority of taxpayers present at the meeting were completely ignored for the vote:
The Battle Over The Rangers' Ballpark Scam Has Officially Begun

Hope more people turn out for the Arlington stadium vote on Nov 8 than turned out for the Allen stadium vote.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:11 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,414,093 times
Quote:
Hope more people turn out for the Arlington stadium vote on Nov 8 than turned out for the Allen stadium vote.
Allen doesn't get to be the joke anymore -McKinney is spending nearly as much on their stadium and Plano is spending 1-1.5X as much on a high school performing arts center that will only hold 2000 people, and equally small numbers of people voted for each.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:35 AM

122 posts, read 163,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Allen doesn't get to be the joke anymore -McKinney is spending nearly as much on their stadium and Plano is spending 1-1.5X as much on a high school performing arts center that will only hold 2000 people, and equally small numbers of people voted for each.
$500 million (more likely $800 million) for a new stadium vs $63 million for a new performing arts center vs $54.3 million for new stadium and land acquisition.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:06 AM

641 posts, read 803,135 times
I disagree with OPs opinion on location. It turned out to be a great location. Both large cities must sacrifice. FW ppl are less willing to drive to Dallas to take in a game. There's huge money on the city's west side. Huge money in the county's NE burbs.

Both counties have approx 2 million people. The medium income for an individual and a family is higher in Tarrant County vs Dallas County. The cost of living is also less.

So with those things considered, it's not surprising that they chose to stay in Arlington. FW population growth is outpacing Dallas and the two cities will have the same population numbers +- 200k within the next couple of decades. I'm also willing to bet that baseball, although not as popular as football, is a very huge deal in Tarrant County.

Ill be attending more games in the new stadium and I'd like to thank the residents of Arlington for contributing money for the cause.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:33 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,721,766 times
I can't believe they are wanting a new stadium. I went to a baseball game two weeks ago and the stadium seemed fine to me. It's a lot newer than many of the other baseball stadiums around the country.

Instead of wasting taxpayers $$$ on a useless baseball stadium, why not get a decent public transportation system in Arlington, and work on making the crappy parts of town look more appealing.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:01 AM

19,855 posts, read 18,122,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I can't believe they are wanting a new stadium. I went to a baseball game two weeks ago and the stadium seemed fine to me. It's a lot newer than many of the other baseball stadiums around the country.

Instead of wasting taxpayers $$$ on a useless baseball stadium, why not get a decent public transportation system in Arlington, and work on making the crappy parts of town look more appealing.
That's a false dilemma. It'd many times as much to do the things you want.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:02 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,411,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

But if they offered good public transportation options, they would miss out on all of that sweet DUI money after the games.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:14 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,574,344 times
I believe the citizens of Arlington voted against public transport.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:31 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,721,766 times
I think I read somewhere that Arlington is the largest city in the US without any public transit system. It's shocking to me because a good chunk of Arlington is predominantly lower income or minority. I'm sure those folks could use the public transit options.

Also, having a short train or bus to a TRE stop would be great for people who live in Arlington and work in the cities, or live in the cities, but work in Arlington.

Meanwhile, city government wants to waste more money on a ballpark when we already have one that works fine. If the city would actually start building nicer things, maybe people would want to move here or visit besides going to a game or Six Flags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas