Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 07:10 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times

Advertisements

Concrete is weak in tension and bending and strong in compression. The post-tensioning process stretches the cables through the concrete so it's (at least in theory) always in compression. If this is a modern properly designed foundation, it will also have deep sections called "beams" that crisscross the under surface of the slab to provide additional stiffness against bending as the underlying soil expands and contracts.

My guess is that what you are seeing is minor shrinkage cracking near the surface. It may seem like it goes "a long way into the slab", but it's probably an inch or two - compare to the 6" or so of slab thickness and probably 2 feet of beam thickness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 01:17 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Someone told me that you have to be careful with foundations in North Texas because the soil composition can lead to foundation problems. I wonder if there is any truth to this?

Old 07-06-2016, 01:49 PM

8,156 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Someone told me that you have to be careful with foundations in North Texas because the soil composition can lead to foundation problems. I wonder if there is any truth to this?
Yes. However I would say it slightly differently: ... soil composition will sooner or later lead to foundation problems, considering the way most foundations are built around here.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:25 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Yes. However I would say it slightly differently: ... soil composition will sooner or later lead to foundation problems, considering the way most foundations are built around here.
Are most homes in the area build on a slab? As someone from the East Coast, this has been unusual to me.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:53 PM

As I described above, there is a big big big difference between the plain inadequately reinforced 6" slabs used in 1970s construction in N. Texas, and the deeply cross beamed post tensioned slabs used today.

Yes, the vast majority of houses are built on a slab nowadays.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
As I described above, there is a big big big difference between the plain inadequately reinforced 6" slabs used in 1970s construction in N. Texas, and the deeply cross beamed post tensioned slabs used today.

Yes, the vast majority of houses are built on a slab nowadays.
Agreed, the post tensioned slabs are much better than the 70s stuff that could literally split in two, but still not nearly good enough.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Are most homes in the area build on a slab? As someone from the East Coast, this has been unusual to me.
yes, most are. Some of the very large footprint ones are piered slab. Also, contrary to the statement that "basements are impossible in north texas because of the soil", a lot of the multimillion new construction in Highland park has basements

Old 07-07-2016, 06:59 AM

It's possible to build a house with a basement, of course, but the cost is higher, and the "standard" has been not to put in basements. Any builder who starts putting in basements will not be price competitive, despite the advantages of having a basement. There are also the disadvantages, like keeping water out, which is not easy.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:48 PM

769 posts, read 782,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
It's possible to build a house with a basement, of course, but the cost is higher, and the "standard" has been not to put in basements. Any builder who starts putting in basements will not be price competitive, despite the advantages of having a basement. There are also the disadvantages, like keeping water out, which is not easy.
The water problem is not that difficult to solve. My basement from my house in Dallas is bone dry and with a backup sump pump and a battery it is easy to keep water out. I only had a minor water problem once before I had the backup pump.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:08 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,216,689 times
Whenever you're building a home you should pay to have an independent inspection done during key points of the build. The foundation is one such example especially around here. I've lived in DFW all my life (grew up in Richardson) and it's common knowledge that the DFW area is known for foundation problems. We're planning to build in west Fort Worth and our structural engineer is recommending a pier and slab foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas